Living Saints

Networking with the SAINTS

Mates, we all have them.
Did you hear about the guy who had 12?
Some years back it was and he further instructed his support team never to go out to work alone, Mark 6. 7-13; Luke 10. 1-24.

Over the years since Christ’s birth and death there have been many followers. The extent of the sainthood we can only guess at. We do however have many good examples of saints well documented through history, so it is relatively easy to have a close look at what makes a saint and what was their “modus operandi”.

The lead comes from Christ. Through His short time on earth, Christ revealed to us that life is about people and relationships. Further more Christ set us an example, which the apostles and subsequent saints have followed and that is that He did not achieve His mission alone. Christ had a significant support network, which extended way beyond the 12 apostles. This ensured His mission on earth has been kept alive long after His death on the cross and resurrection to sit with GOD the Father.

The Acts of the Apostles and other accounts give us a window into the early life of the church. Peter and the first leaders along with the church itself grew, due to the fact that many put their resources and effort into backing the fledgling movement.
Saints Peter, John, Paul, Stephen and the other leaders in the early church we read about in the bible, achieved success in their missionary work because of the team work among themselves and the additional support that grew around them, both prayerful and physical. Pick up your bible and read through parts of the Acts, it makes for interesting reading and insight into the life and times of these early saints, our original leaders in faith.

Through out the history of Christianity there have been beacons of church leadership, people who have lived Christ in their daily life. Nano Nagle in Ireland (1718 – 1784), Suzanne Aubert in New Zealand (1835 – 1926), Mother Teresa in India (1910 – 1997), Bishop Romero in El Salvador (1917 – 1980), are but 4 of those who led and challenged in their own time.

Today is no different with regards saints and church leadership. Take Manfred Staab living in Manukau, New Zealand, an international development project manager currently working for the United Nations Food & Agriculture Organisation who featured in Welcome April 2009 (issue 260). Another is Vi & Richard Cottrell, founders of Trade Aid in 1969 on the back of responding to a simple newspaper add in the Christchurch Press. Now a national organisation, Trade Aid is made up of several parts reflecting the work it does as a development agency, importer, distributor and retailer involving 900 volunteers.

Do any of these “living saints” achieve their work alone – No! Saints today as did saints years and centuries ago all rely on team work and good support. Living saints require as much prayerful support, not to mention resourcing, as did St. Peter in the first century. Our missionaries, prison chaplains, youth workers, Trade Aid team all require support to ensure their Christ like work does not falter.

We all have an opportunity to become part of today’s living saints support team either giving directly or via organisations such as Caritas and St Vincent de Paul. Backed up with prayer, our prayer, today’s saints can more readily achieve Christ’s work here on earth.

And what about you? Yes you yourself. Have you developed a good support team around yourself so that the light of Christ in you shines brightly each and every day for others to see? Time to do an evaluation of your own team backing and strengthen it, as did Saints Peter and Paul before you.

Let us pray.

My dear friend

Thank you for that. You talk about the things saints do, but my understanding is that what makes you a saint is the presence of Gods living love which is grace in your soul, along with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in our temple ( indeed the Holy Trinity dwells within us if we’re in grace ). If you have this you are very holy. When you have a soul so full of the living love of God that it begins overflowing then your a canonisable saint often. I think it’s this that makes you a Saint. This living love in your soul is what moves you to do good. Without it we can do nothing. You are very right in what you say about us being part of a team though. We are all members of the mystical body of Christ. And we are our brothers keeper. We are in this together, and Saints are what will fix all problems.

Thank you for a great post to discuss.:slight_smile:

May God bless you and keep you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

My dear friend

How rude of me. It’s your first post. A big welcome to you:):):slight_smile:

May God bless you and keep you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

We are all the body of Christ. And we do need each other for support, both moral and spiritual. But is the “support team” necessary for sainthood. Does one need to do heroic deeds or does one need to do simple things well.

I think of the Blessed Mother. She didn’t wipe out hunger or cure diseases. She merely did what God wanted her to do humbly and with great faith.

Could a mother or father be a saint by raising good kids? Could a factory worker be a saint by caring for other workers and doing his job well?

What about those that carry a large cross. Could they be saints? The elderly, mentally handicapped, blind, deaf just to name a few. How about the poor? They may not have the means to start a Habitat for Humanity program.

I believe a saint is one who, like Mary, says yes to God’s call. It is one who loves God very deeply. SIn to them is not so much a case where one stops loving God. Rather it is an action that pains the person because he has hurt God, whom they love above all things.

My aunt died last year. She entered the convent when she was 17. At 21 she was diagnosed with skitzophrenia (sp) and had to leave her community. She had few friends. She was confined to a bed in a nursing home for the last year of her life. She prayed often. In fact when I went to visit her, I would ask her to pray because I knew that she was a living saint. She perservered in her faith in spite of her lifetime of suffering. Yet, she never found a cure for a disease or converted native aboriginies.

God knows what is in our hearts. He knows if he is welcome. I suspect there are more living saints than we know. But then, how could we? Only God knows for sure.

My dear friend

That’s very well said. Congrats on a great post. It reminds me of a great quote from the Little Flower I read in a signature the other day here. It more or less says- It’s not how much you do, but it’s the love you put into what you do that counts.

Even if you have few talents and not much ability you can become a great saint. I suppose it’s possible for a person to say one hail Mary perfectly and with so much love it outdoes a lifetime of prayers by someone who has very little love. Let me know if you disagree.

Very good post:)

May God bless you, sanctify you and watch over you always:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

You are absolutely correct in my humble opinion. God loves each of us infinitely, the talented, the wealthy as well as the clumsy and the poor. Each of us are called to holiness and thus sainthood. It is expressed differently in each of us as we have unique gifts.

I think you are one of those living saints I referred to. God bless you.

My dear friend cargua

You’ve made so few posts in 5 yrs? We must see more of you. Thank you for your compliment too, but there are no sains this side of the grave. I’m trying to get there one day at a time though. Your ideas come from Opus Dei do they? I’m a lowly cooperator. I asked my spiritual directoe about being a numerary and he said - I can’t. It’s fair enough. I’m not called to it I think. I’m happy where I am. I have health problems or I’d love to be a monk. Need a miracle perhaps?

May the Queen of Angels, send Her Angels to watch over you and guard you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.