Living the words we pray

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Those of us who consecrated ourselves totally to Jesus through Mary (or renewed our consecrations) last Saturday on March 25, need to “Live” the words we pray:

The Lord said: Since this people draws near with words only and honors me with their lips alone, though their hearts are far from me, And fear of me has become mere precept of human teaching, Therefore I will again deal with this people in surprising and wondrous fashion: The wisdom of the wise shall perish, the prudence of the prudent shall vanish.(Isaiah 29:13 - 14)

And in the Gospel of Mark, Jesus again reminds us:

…the Pharisees and scribes questioned him, “Why do your disciples not follow the tradition of the elders but instead eat a meal with unclean hands?” He responded, “Well did Isaiah prophesy about you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me… (Mark 7: 5-6)

It is “easy” to say words, but to live the words we pray, we need to believe, and trust and love God sincerely from the heart and “do the Truth” we hear from Him. God has shared His Wisdom with His saints and they have written from His inspiration and lived the truth they heard. They are reliable witnesses. Mary was given to us from the Cross to be both Mother and Model. Her Immaculate Heart held all Jesus said and did and she followed Him perfectly. Continuing to hear what St. Louis wrote in His treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin, chapter 7:

1. The person who wishes to be led by this spirit of Mary:
  1. Should renounce his own spirit, his own views and his own will before doing anything, for example, before making meditation, celebrating or attending Mass, before Communion. For the darkness of our own spirit and the evil tendencies of our own will and actions, good as they may seem to us, would hinder the holy spirit of Mary were we to follow them.
  1. We should give ourselves up to the spirit of Mary to be moved and directed as she wishes. We should place and leave ourselves in her virginal hands, like a tool in the hands of a craftsman or a lute in the hands of a good musician. We should cast ourselves into her like a stone thrown into the sea. This is done easily and quickly by a mere thought, a slight movement of the will or just a few words as, “I renounce myself and give myself to you, my dear Mother.” And even if we do not experience any emotional fervour in this spiritual encounter it is none the less real. It is just as if a person with equal sincerity were to say - which God forbid! - “I give myself to the devil.” Even though this were said without feeling any emotion, he would no less really belong to the devil.
  1. From time to time during an action and after it, we should renew this same act of offering and of union. The more we do so, the quicker we shall grow in holiness and the sooner we shall reach union with Christ, which necessarily follows upon union with Mary, since the spirit of Mary is the spirit of Jesus.

Come, Holy Spirit, direct our hearts and minds. Enable us to hear the words of Jesus: “Behold your Mother”.
Help us by Your grace to obey the Truth we hear and like John take Mary into our lives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.