Living with a Jehovah witness

Hi!

The tree nor the fruit was bad.

What was bad was Adam’s and Eve’s disobedience as they rejected God’s Command to no eat of the fruit while accepting the creature’s (Satan) assurance that they would not suffer any consequences that instead they would become as God, having the knowledge of good and evil.

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

Your eisegesis rejects every passage that state that hell is a place of eternal fire and torment… even at Judgment it is stated that:

21:8 But the legacy for cowards, for those who break their word, or worship obscenities, for murderers and fornicators, and for fortune-tellers, idolaters or any other sort of liars, is the second death in the burning lake of sulphur.’ (Apocalypse [Revelation])

9:47 And if your eye should cause you to sin, tear it out; it is better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell 9:48 where their worm does not die nor their fire go out. (St. Mark)

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

…again, we do not know what would have happened since it did not happen–that’s just an ‘what if’ proposition.

Consider that their theology has them elevating to gods who will populate the universe and fill the planets with their offspring.

They got both interpretation from the same source, didn’t they?

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

Sadly, Christianity is divided because of man’s determination to follow man’s teachings and ways.

However, when confronted with this issue Jesus clearly explained it:

12:26 Now about the dead rising again, have you never read in the Book of Moses, in the passage about the Bush, how God spoke to him and said: I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob? 12:27 He is God, not of the dead, but of the living. You are very much mistaken.’ (St. Mark)

…as for interpretations, you are correct when man bases his belief on interpretation he misses what God has Revealed and declared:

4:24 God is spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and truth.’ (St. John)

10:28 ‘Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; fear him rather who can destroy both body and soul in hell. (St. Matthew)

2:7 Yahweh God fashioned man of dust from the soil. Then he breathed into his nostrils a breath of life, and thus man became a living being. (Genesis)

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

Have you noticed how you are arguing from both ends?

You don’t Believe Christ; yet, you hope you can attain a good eternal life… yet, you are determining what is Just for God to do or not do… is that not a personal construct?

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi jcrichton,
Thank you for those passages they really clear up so much. I will keep them written down on my note book for when the time comes that I can help my husband know the real truth of our Heavenly Father.
I also want to share with everyone my current situation on living with a Jehovah’s Witness.
So things have been a bit rocky as I had mentioned previously, well last night (reason why I’m up at 1am) my husband and I started talking about a situation that is going on with someone in his congregation. Usually I don’t input I just listen as I’m usually scared it will turn into an argument or him putting my beliefs down, last night was different guys. I asked God in prayer to guide my words so that I can plant a seed of the real truth in my husbands heart and I was able to have the courage to speak my mind it was beautiful, I hadn’t been able to do that in such a long time. We talked about many things as one topic led to the next we ended up on the 1914 date which my husband said that the Catholic Church agreed with the JWs on for some time and then dismissed it because it meant that the end of the world was near and that we Catholics couldn’t have that. So I asked what was so special about this date, how they came about it and another question that he couldn’t answer… he said he had to look more into it as to which I replied yes please do and get back to me on it, and if you don’t mind I will do my own research on it I think I will ask the father of my parish. To which he said sure but then later said you’d know what before you go asking and looking around elsewhere, let me talk to the elder(we’ll call him Bob) i study with and listen to what we have to say about it. I then replied, “but why? You mention that the Catholics agreed with this date and it’s importance but that they then changed their minds so the father I speak to should have some interesting information on it as well as other devoted Catholics.” He then after a moments pause said "you’re right, go ahead and do that and I will also look into it."
We agreed to do our research and come together and share the information we gather. Guys I share this with you so that you can pray for us. Pray for my husband so that the Holy Spirit guides his heart to the real truth, the truth the church that was founded by Jesus Christ. Please keep us in your prayers as I can see that prayer is a powerful and beautiful gift from God. I will later on mention some of the other topics he shared with me like what he mentioned about the 144,000 so that you all wonderful people can help me understand this so that I can help my husband better understand scripture.
May God bless you all wonder people always. Thank you all so so much

I’m very sorry to read of your problems. Many years ago I became involved with the JWs. I studied the Bible with them for quite some time and attended all their meetings and read all their literature, so I know a fair bit about them.
But I eventually become disillusioned with many of their teachings, and I also found their attitudes to other Christian denominations to be very bigoted, mean-spirited, ugly or just plain stupid. They hate most of all the Catholic Church, believing it to be totally false and demonic and “The Whore of Babylon”. They don’t hesitate to distort history in order to paint the Catholic Church as evil.

JWs also keep to themselves as much as possible and are forbidden to read non-JW religious literature or listen to non-JW preachers. These are symptoms of a CULT. I strongly advise you to keep away from them and devote yourself to the one, true Church that Jesus founded - the Catholic Church. If you have any questions about what JWs teach and believe, you could ask a Catholic priest for advice - that’s part of their job. Don’t listen to a JW - they might sound like they know what they’re talking about, but they don’t teach the truth. Satan is the “father of lies”, and he hates the Catholic Church.

JWs have also made several predictions about when the world will end - all of which were false, of course. So, besides all their other faults, they have proven themselves to be false prophets.

JWs also have their own Bible, which is not a true Bible because they’ve changed some of the words to suit their false teachings - mostly to deny that Jesus is God (John 1:1 is the most infamous example). When I discovered this fraud, it was the last straw; I immediately cut my ties with them and never went back.

Perhaps it would be best if you didn’t talk to your husband about Bible matters at all. It sounds like it’s causing you both too much stress. Besides, even the best Catholic theological in the world can’t make sense to a JW with a closed mind! Many JWs are so brainwashed that only the Holy Spirit can reach them. Which is why you need to pray for your husband - that’s the first thing one should do and in a case like this, sometimes it’s the only thing one can do. Leave in the hands of the Lord.

God bless you.

Prayers abound!

And may the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you and your family.

Hi Tom and greetings,

It sounds like you are runnung into the “their interpretation of scripture makes as much sense as yours so why should we believe your interpretation?” argument. As an agnostic, who do you believe has the right to interpret the Holy Scriptures? More spacifically the NT?

Dont you agree that if this question is not resolved then we can go on for ever trading interpretations and proof texts to our own satisfactions?

Peace!!!

The soul is eternal and can be destroyed and yet still exist.
The word destroy there (Strong’s Concordance G622) is:

• apollymi
    I. to destroy
    a. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
    b. render useless
    c. to kill
    d. to declare that one must be put to death
    e. metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
    f. to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
    II. to destroy
    a. to lose

ἀπόλλυμι apóllymi, ap-ol’-loo-mee; from G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively, to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively:—destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

Hi!

I am glad that there’s communication between you and your husband… sadly, even those who purport to be in fellowship with God forget that God is Love… the first rule, the only rule that counts! We must engage each other with Love and patience… yes, the human condition lead us to confrontation and pride but we must fight it… so I hope that you continue to collaborate helping each other grow in the Faith.

Now, the most difficult thing that I find with all Believers (as well as non-Believers) is that there are so many topics/themes that are involved in the search for Truth (Christ); instead of addressing one single element at a time we jump from one topic to the other… granted some themes require it because they are intertwined… yet, I find that it is better to tackle one item at a time (as in a line-item veto) so that we can better understand and internalize its value/meaning.

I am willing to work with you on the forum or PM, if some find it objectionable (something I really don’t understand about all this legalism instead of charitable exchange and contribution), to address the issue point by point.

However, you could also make a list of items and open one thread at a time, moving to the next topic when you feel you fully comprehend the presently posted topic.

I have engaged the JW several times; I can’t say that I understand them but I have come to know some of their concerns and tactics.

I will keep you in my prayers; I hope that everyone on this thread do so as well.

May the Holy Spirit Strengthen your resolve to remain in the Faith and to lead your husband and your family to the truth (Christ Jesus).

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

The problem is ‘piece work.’

When you take Sacred Scriptures and you interpret/read/do exegesis or eisegesis one a piece or several pieces removed from the entirety of Sacred Scriptures you are bound to form all sorts of theologies that are not conductive to the Truth (Jesus).

Here’s the passage cited:

17:3 And eternal life is this: to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 17:4 I have glorified you on earth and finished the work that you gave me to do. 17:5 Now, Father, it is time for you to glorify me with that glory I had with you before ever the world was. 17:6 I have made your name known to the men you took from the world to give me. They were yours and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 17:7 Now at last they know that all you have given me comes indeed from you; (John)

This is the Name that Jesus made known to the Apostles, Jesus Christ… and for those who reject the Holy Trinity, Here’s the only other Name that Jesus made known:

28:19 Go, therefore, make disciples of all the nations; baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (St. Matthew)

Can you follow the meaning of the Revelation: One Name: the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit; One Name: Jesus Christ: One Name the Father.

Now how did the Apostles understood this, that it s Yahweh (I AM)?

Well Jesus also Revealed that:

8:58 Jesus replied: ‘I tell you most solemnly, before Abraham ever was, I Am’. (St. John)

…of course this does not mesh with JW’s theology so they do some Chinese acrobatics and attempt to derail what is Revealed by claiming ‘no, that’s not the same as the Revelation to Moses…’

Why are they able to understand Jesus Word in such contrived manner? Well, it is simple: they divorce the Word of God from the Word of God–just look at the verse following Jesus’ Declaration that He is the I AM!:

8:59 At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.

Are we to believe that it was forbidden for Jews to express themselves as the first person singular: I am? Rather, we can see from the context that Jesus’ Revelation is taken very seriously; that the Jews understand that Jesus has yet again made Himself Equal to God!

Now, let’s look into the mind of the Apostles in comparison to the Revelation in John 17:3-7:

5:20 We know, too, that the Son of God has come, and has given us the power to know the true God. We are in the true God, as we are in his Son, Jesus Christ. This is the true God, this is eternal life. (1 St. John)

This is the mind of the Apostles; this is Apostolic Teaching; they are in the True God, they are in the Son, that is the True God and Eternal Life.

There’s no need for “interpretation.” It is not being in Yahweh (or the derivative Name Jehovah); it is Being in Jesus Christ that the Apostles Celebrate and Teach!

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

But the lake of fire remains; we are not given what happens with those who are placed in it.

Still, the fact remains, hell, the place where their worms do not die… have you ever experienced a corpse… nature has the ability to reclaim organic matter… a worm in a fiery eco that does not die cannot mean that it is done and over… it suggest continuance.

However, we do not truly know what will take place after Judgment. It could well be that all evil will cease by consumption/destruction… but the fact remains, spirit is not consumable by mere fire.

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

I think that I was addressing the Mormon’s issue of theology not the Jehovah Witnesses!

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Tom!

I concur with you that what is understood from revelation is often not what God has Revealed.

Yet, consider that all life came to be because of God’s Word: “Be.”

Contrary to man’s life, God actually Breath His essence into man. It is the reason why man is not simply a creature of instinct.

‘Let us Create man in our Image and Likeness.’ ‘God is spirit…’

Clearly, what was Revealed and Understood in the Old Covenant continued to find its true definition in the New Covenant.

Jesus opens the veil; He also expresses not to fear the one who can kill the body or if you prefer the essence of temporal life which in the past was equated with the soul or the blood. But to fear the One who can take both the temporal life and the soul/spirit (that which does not die by the physical means).

Clearly, man must have been Created differently than all others in Creation!

Maran atha!

Angel

Hello crusader13,
Could you give me some information on how the JWs came up with the year 1914 and why they hold it so dear. Also my husband mentioned that the Catholics agreed with this “prophecy” of the 1914. I would appreciate your help with where did they get it and can it be proved as false through the Bible.

Hi Tom,
So everyone is right in their own way is what I’m understanding frI’m your message

So what good is it for you to quote from a book which you say you have no authority to interpret other than your own best guess? :man_shrugging:

Peace!!!

II will do my best to summarize it for you, but keep in mind that this date and the society’s teachings that surround it are very complex, especially when you factor in the multiple changes that have occurred to their doctrine since their original understanding of this date.

Well their teaching of 1914 is crucial to the Watchtower’s entire belief system. Originally it was thought that 1914 would be the end of the system of things (end of the world). They even admit this when you read it in their “Gods Kingdom Rules!” book.

When the time of their proposed end of the world came and went, they needed to modify their teaching and its application of this date. So now what they believe is that in 1914 Jesus returned, (invisibly) and began ruling in Heaven. During this time Jesus also began to examine all the other Christian denominations and found them to be (weeds). Hence the reason they refer to the parable in Matthew about the Wheat and the Weeds. This “examination” occurred from 1914 – 1919, when Jesus established that the “true Christians” were the bible students founded by Charles Taze Russell and thus began the establishment of the modern-day Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The reason they started using 1914 to begin with is based largely upon their “bible chronology”. They believe that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607B.C. even though most biblical and secular historians assign the date of 587 B.C. as to be more accurate. From the date of 607 B.C. they apply a time of 2,520 years, incorrectly taken from Daniel 4, and hence you get 1914, October 1914 to be more precise. This time span is sometimes referred to as “The time of the Gentiles” or the “appointed times of the nations”, which they take from Luke 21:24.

The reason it is incorrect is because their application of Daniel is not referring to the time they apply it to. They basically took Rev 12: 6, 14 and determined that if 1,260 days is referred to as 3 ½ times, they assumed that the seven times spoken in Daniel 4 is 2, 520 days. However, they use the “day equals a year” symbolism found in Numbers 14 and Ezekiel 4 to determine that 2, 520 days is therefore 2, 520 years.

However, I’ve never read or heard of any Witness claiming that Catholics also upheld the prophecy of 1914. I’ve gone thru quite a few of their videos as well and have yet to find them making that claim. Perhaps you can ask him to cite the source or show you where exactly he read that at?

Proving it false isn’t difficult per se. It just requires more study into Eschatology (the end times) and how Prophetic books like Daniel and Revelation should be interpreted. One of the best talks ever given is by Brant Pitre. The talk is called Jesus and the End Times: A Catholic View of the Last Days.

It’s a great introduction into end times prophecy and how it relates to Catholic Eschatology. You can also download the handout and use it to follow along.

Like every previously failed end times prediction, their understanding of 1914 did not come to fruition and they looked to Scripture to explain their errors. They found it in Proverbs 4:18 “But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, That shines brighter and brighter until the full day.” This passage along with the Psalm 97:11 “Light is sown like seed for the righteous And gladness for the upright in heart.” Is used to explain why their previous teachings were incorrect. As the end draws near, Jehovah will bless them with more “light” (their doctrine) will become clearer until the end of this present system of things.

Just remember the Light hasn’t gotten brighter for them it has completely changed! It doesn’t make sense that the Holy Spirit would lead their faithful into error! It’s not as if their partial or incomplete truths have slowly shown themselves to be factual, they’ve had to outright alter, dismiss, deny and abandon old teachings when they haven’t been proven true. That doesn’t sound like the Church Jesus was talking about when He said He would send the Holy Spirit to lead them in all Truth!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.