Local couple upset after receiving pre-marked voter registration card from Covered California

LA MESA, Calif. - A local couple called 10News concerned after they received an envelope from the state’s Obamacare website, Covered California. Inside was a letter discussing voter registration and a registration card pre-marked with an “x” in the box next to Democratic Party.

The couple – who did not want their identity revealed – received the letter and voter registration card from their health insurance provider Covered California, the state-run agency that implements President Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

They have lived in La Mesa for years and they have always been registered to vote Republican. Now, they are perplexed as to how the voter registration card pre-marked Democrat ended up in their mailbox.

10news.com/news/local-couple-upset-after-receiving-pre-marked-voter-registration-card-from-covered-california-03282014

The Democrats depend on expansion of the welfare state to remain in power. This is common sense.

Are they sure it was a “real” voter registration card? I suspect it is political advertising, which both parties use to an extreme.

Personally this country needed a national health care plan as the insurance companies where denying too many people, charging too much and covering less. What we need is free medical care for all, much like they do in Canada, and to get rid of the insurance companies all together. And as a Canadian I can tell you their system is not the nightmare politicians would have you believe.

So far, the costs of the not so affordable care act have actually in most cases exceeded the costs of private insurance. As far as your other criteria,that remains to be seen,however,I am not too optimistic about the quality of care or the timely manner in which it will be applied.
To want one third of our Country’s economy do just be destroyed and taken over by the gov’t is beyond scary on every level.:eek:

My husband lost his job a few months ago and we had to sign up for public assistance/unemployment/medcaid. It has been nothing more than a ridiculous hassle. It’s been 3 months now and we’ve heard nothing from medicaid except for the card we got in the mail that covered us for FAMILY PLANNING SERVICES ONLY, for every member of the family. Even my 7 year old son. Nevermind the fact that my son has seizures and his medication to protect his life is $300/month. But heck, at least we can buy birth control for our 7 year old! We were told the system is severely backed up and they didn’t know how long it would take to get it processed. Still haven’t heard anything. We’ve been forced to use what little cash we have to pay for my sons meds. Oh and $300 for a dr’s appointment for DH that he couldn’t put off. We’ll never see that money again even though we qualify for medicaid.

Oh, an two weeks of unemployment $$ has been held back because DH was required to attend a class on job seeking, which he didn’t attend because Praise the Lord, he finally found a job. But we both have spent HOURS on the phone trying to get through to let them know he didn’t attend because he found a job with no luck. DH is very busy at his new job and I’m very busy with nursing school. Neither one of us have time right now to play this phone game. And we need that money to pay the darn rent.

When we first signed up, DH had to get up at 6:00 am and call them in order to get through. He still had to wait for several hours but if he didn’t call that early, he waited ALL DAY to get through and then finally got cut off. This happened several days in a row. Let me promise you that those days spent on the phone, he didn’t get any job hunting done. But the kids had to eat and we needed those food stamp benefits.

And you want to put these people in charge of our healthcare?

Shocking… not

Is that why I see the Dr.'s offices down here packed with Canadien snowbirds who are willing to pay cash instead of getting “free” healthcare??? In fact, the Dr’s offices actually get MORE packed in spring as many Canadiens urgently pay to see their doctor before heading home to that wonderful “free” healthcare.

dailycaller.com/2014/01/16/report-tens-of-thousands-fled-socialized-canadian-medicine-in-2013/

huffingtonpost.ca/nadeem-esmail/canada-free-health-care_b_3733080.html

Indeed,“denial”,I don’t mean the river in Egypt either;)

Look at all the problems associated with Obamacare, and yet government should have more control over further care? I heard somewhere, and I don’t know if I can phrase exactly, but what are people’s experience of a particular health care system when they are sick, not when they are well. What about waiting times?

In multiple countries that have single payer health care in addition to private health care, they are turning to privatizing parts of their public health care service.

The Privatization of Health Care in Europe: An Eight-Country Analysis

Spain healthcare bosses quit over Madrid privatisation

Privatization of Health-care Facilities in Istanbul

Privatization may also come to the National Health Service or parts of it for some people

The future of the NHS—irreversible privatisation?

The upside of Canada’s system is it provides affordable bog-standard healthcare. The downside is that the minority of cases suffer from a backlog which can’t be gotten around because it is single-payer.

Look at all the problems associated with Obamacare, and yet government should have more control over further care? I heard somewhere, and I don’t know if I can phrase exactly, but what are people’s experience of a particular health care system when they are sick, not when they are well. What about waiting times?

In multiple countries that have single payer health care in addition to private health care, they are turning to privatizing parts of their public health care service.

Privatization may also come to the National Health Service or parts of it for some people

(“http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f1848”)

“Access to a waiting list is not access to health care,” as two Canadian Supreme Court justices wrote in a 2005 decision striking down a Quebec law that prohibited people from buying private health insurance to cover procedures already offered by the public system.

Wait times for the following procedures are known issues in Canada:
cancer
heart
diagnostic imaging
joint replacement
sight restoration services
children’s mental health
cataract surgery
general surgery
hip/knee replacements
MRI scanning

Most national health care systems are in a state of sustained internal crisis as costs rise and the stated goals of universal access and quality care are not met. In almost all cases, the reason is the same: the politics of medicine. The problems of government-run health care systems flow inexorably from the fact that they are government-run rather than market driven.

Before Americans find themselves participating in a national health insurance or single-payer health insurance system that has failed in every country it was adopted, they should be asking themselves whether such a system is effective and efficient.

I heard somewhere, and I don’t know if I can phrase it exactly, but what are people’s experience of a particular health care system when they are sick, not when they are well.

The future of the NHS—irreversible privatisation?

One out of four million recipients made this claim. It could be a hoax. It could be that they mistook an advertisement. Just don’t know yet.

Companies in many industries charge prices that people consider too high. Rarely has the solution ever been to abolish the companies. And imposing price controls on insurance companies (a minimum loss ratio is effectively a price control) basically cripples the capacity of the insurance company’s ability to provide, severely reducing the number of people to whom insurance is available. It is a strict strong economic law that economic problems are almost never most efficiently solved by either banning things or setting prices.

I personally would rather they keep private insurance companies in existence because competition between companies helps minimize costs. Once the state takes over the whole thing, then no such competition will exist.

I would’ve figured the government could simply agree to reimburse insurance companies for providing basic insurance to anyone who makes below a certain amount of money; or for providing basic retroactive insurance to anyone injured or ill who doesn’t have any. That way everyone can get insurance, which would harness the benefit of reducing healthcare costs, without having to create any new bureaucracy and preserving competition in the insurance market which is lost in a government monopoly. Universal insurance with minimal government expansion.

Whats the point of keeping private insurance companies in existence while they still have an antitrust exemption under federal law?

“Free”?

dailycaller.com/2012/07/24/report-canadian-health-care-spending-unsustainable/

A 2011 report by the Fraser Institute concluded that Canada’s health care system is spending at an unsustainable rate. Six of ten Canadian provinces are on track to spend half of their revenues on health care, according to the institute.

“We conclude that Canada’s health system produces rates of growth in health spending that are not sustainable solely through redistributive public financing,” the report concluded.

If it’s “free” why is it costing Canadians money? :confused:

Nothing is free save Gods love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.