Local Jews in shock after Ukrainian city of Konotop elects neo-Nazi mayor

jpost.com/Diaspora/Ukrainian-Jews-shocked-after-city-elects-neo-Nazi-mayor-437975

**Two months after local elections were held across Ukraine, residents of the small northern city of Konotop are expressing shock and dismay over the behavior of newly chosen Mayor Artem Semenikhin of the neo-Nazi Svoboda party.

According to reports, Semenikhin drives around in a car bearing the number 14/88, a numerological reference to the phrases “we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children” and “Heil Hitler”; replaced the picture of President Petro Poroshenko in his office with a portrait of Ukrainian national leader and Nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera; and refused to fly the city’s official flag at the opening meeting of the city council because he objected to the star of David emblazoned on it. The flag also features a Muslim crescent and a cross.**

The article continues at the link.

Who killed so many Ukrainians in the 1930s, it wasn’t the Nazis.

Way to defend neo-Nazis.:clapping:

Mao, Hitler, Stalin are the biggest murderers of the 20th century, feel free to idolize these people, different strokes.

Way to evade the truth! :clapping: And not addressing the question but of course, I don’t have a history of slamming America in nasty ways.

The same kind of syndrome exists in Croatia.

Let’s see, Germany and Japan did wrong in World War II but the only country that is gone after is Ukraine? :confused:

The Svoboda Party has run candidates who are priests serving the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate, Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church, and Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/community/religion_and_policy/38465/

**Jews Are Fleeing Russia Because Of Putin **
rferl.org/content/jews-are-fleeing-/27107988.html

Despite this election it would be interesting to see which of the two countries have been fled from.

As the Sochi Winter Olympics approach there is growing concern over the Neo-Nazi movement in Russia. Over half of the world’s Neo-Nazi members are in Russia. This movement is behind the abuse of gays and violation of gay rights. The group also opposes foreigners, Jews, Muslims, Roma, and Asians.

The group has recently become a paramilitary organization, although they claim to be a sports club. The Neo-Nazis are training members in weapons as well as hand-to-hand combat. Many of the weapons used are outlawed, and therefore bought from the black market. They are strictly anti-drug or alcohol, focusing on fitness and bodybuilding to train for their “revolution.”

There are an estimated 50,000-70,000 Neo-Nazis in Russia according to an ABC News report. The group seemed to organize around widespread unemployment and poverty in the early 1990s. Many of the members are young adults who were hit hardest by the economic downturn. The group operates under the official name of the Russian National Unity, a party founded by Alexander Barkashov in 1990. The party symbol is the swastika and some members receive military training in Moscow.

borgenproject.org/neo-nazis-russia/

I saw one interview with a Neo-Nazi in Ukraine, he said they didn’t believe in genocide and those things, just a strong nationalist stance.

A city of 92,000 in Ukraine elected a neo-Nazi. Not a good thing, and it almost sounds like this guy is nuts besides.

But Svoboda gained less than 2% in the national elections that elected Poroshenko.

Sometimes these things happen. Back during the Depression, the county governments of more than one county in Oklahoma flew the hammer and sickle over the courthouse during a time when Stalin was starving millions to death.

I would think local Jews would be shocked, and rightly so. Also, I’m sure the Jews in the Poroshenko government are as well. Likely the elected neo-Nazi was financed by Russia, which is trying to stir up antisemitism in Ukraine as well as supporting neo-Nazis all over eastern Europe.

Here’s what the Jewish leaders in Ukraine had to say about it:

"On March 5, 21 leaders of Ukraine’s Jewish community signed an open letter to Putin excoriating the Russian president for using Ukraine’s Jewish community to bash the interim government — and insisting that the real threat to Ukraine’s Jews emanated from Russia: “We know that the political opposition consists of various groups, including some that are nationalistic. But even the most marginal of them do not demonstrate anti-Semitism or other forms of xenophobia. And we certainly know that our very few nationalists are well-controlled by civil society and the new Ukrainian government — which is more than can be said for the Russian neo-Nazis, who are encouraged by your security services.” foreignpolicy.com/2014/05/07/why-jews-and-ukrainians-have-become-unlikely-allies/

Evading the truth? How? You’re attempting to minimize Nazism.

And I disagree with you on the other point. As I see it, your vociferous support for U.S. foreign policy is as anti-America as it gets.

Whether you even realize it, you’re simply parrotting Obama and cheerfully supporting his policies, while apparently the Joint Chiefs of Staff are in complete agreement with me, and have been secretly lending their support to Assad all along. It’s the only course of action a decent person could take, considering the massive increase in terrorists spreading unchecked across the globe, that is guaranteed to happen if the U.S. succeeds in murdering Assad. Not to even mention the endless bloodshed and chaos in store for Syria itself. So be careful who you say is slamming America, because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Possessing historical knowledge of U.S. foreign policy is not un-American, or whatever your point is supposed to be. Regardless, I’m more interested in Christian decency and honesty than I am in appeasing pseudo-patriots who don’t know the first thing about American history.

democracynow.org/2015/12/22/seymour_hershs_latest_bombshell_us_military

I don’t have a list of bad guys, sorry, Israel, USA, CIA, Soros, Ukraine, Nato and so on.

Let alone helicopter rides by billionaires.

But, hey, I haven’t heard of any Ukrainians stabbing Jews; so I’m sure we will see like participation on that.

Disgusting.

Again, the above source reads that Russia has over half of the Neo-Nazis in the world, Ukrainians fought and died for the Soviet Union in World War II, so really, this was just seems to be typical posting against certain countries or entities.

Bad guys? I’m sorry, but that’s an infantile worldview. Children viewing Sunday morning cartoons view the world in more sophisticated terms.

Well said, I couldn’t agree more.

Also, the fact, that one assigns that another culture has to view things like we do is ethnocentric and arrogant. They see it differently,

So, the Russians and their lackeys killed MILLIONS of Ukrainians and one expects them to fully support the USSR? Really?

I’d be interested to hear your explanation of why knowledge of U.S. foreign policy is somehow a bad thing.

Are you saying that ignorance is a virtue??

If one is so concerned about the Jews, I did open a thread on the latest stabbings in Israel to show one’s outrage.

I missed that thread, but I will say that for every Jew stabbed in Israel a hundred Palestinians are murdered. At least.

As far as your earlier comments, my impression is that you may actually believe “they attacked us because they hate our freedom.”

I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but if that’s the case, then that, also, is exceedingly infantile.

I realize that those who don’t worship ignorance tend to be viewed with suspicion in America, but it would be in everyone’s best interest to honestly consider the possibility that U.S. foreign policy might just have something to do with terrorism and unrest around the world. Something for you to consider.

Israel does not fire missiles at Palestine carelessly. This is selective outrage, one does not get punched without punching back, Israel is peaceful over all;

We also have the Palestinian Mufti who collaborated with the Nazis, there was even a thread on it when Ben Carson spoke about it; I think he was the one.

No surprise, Ukrainians elect some nut mayor, this gets some people’s attentions, Israelis get stabbed, not a peep. Even the source of this story is the Jerusalem Post.

I realize that those who don’t worship ignorance tend to be viewed with suspicion in America, but it would be in everyone’s best interest to honestly consider the possibility that U.S. foreign policy might just have something to do with Mid East terrorism. Just something for you to consider.

Why pick on the Americans but no criticism of others, again, this seems inconsistent, Assad has supported terrorists, Hezbollah is a terrorist organization who just had one of their arch-terrorists dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3367585/Hezbollah-says-Lebanese-militant-killed-Syria-airstrike.html Kantar killed. Russia has supported the Syrian regime widely accused of terrorism including aiding the bombing of 250 Marines and where do the Palestinians get the thousands of missiles they have fired at Israel? From Iran and through Syria.

Russia is sharing information with the Taliban to fight the Islamic State
bostonglobe.com/news/world/2015/12/23/russia-sharing-information-with-taliban-fight-islamic-state/8nmZ6NzmgRw7siOcIyd95O/story.html

Sure, blame America always.

The THOUSANDS of missiles attacks on Israel, missiles transported through Syria, from Iran.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.