Location of Hell?

Does the Church give teach that there is an actual physical location of Hell in our universe, like in the center of the earth?

I’ve always heard it is Cleveland. :wink:

Seriously though, my understanding is that the Church teaches that hell is separation from God, not a physical location.

Like Cleveland.

[quote=CollegeKid]Does the Church give teach that there is an actual physical location of Hell in our universe, like in the center of the earth?
[/quote]

CCC 1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. **This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.” **

If you were really a Catholic you would know the answers to the questions you raise in various threads are found in the CCC, but as I notice from your profile under religion you make derogatory remarks about the Catholic Faith I assume you are either an athiest or a Protestant. You should at least be honest about what you are!!

[quote=CollegeKid]Does the Church give teach that there is an actual physical location of Hell in our universe, like in the center of the earth?
[/quote]

Could be. Check out Eph 4:9

[quote=gap51]Could be. Check out Eph 4:9
[/quote]

[list]
*]…Eph 4:8 Therefore it is said, “When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men.”
*]Eph 4:9 (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower parts of the earth?
*]Eph 4:10 He who descended is he who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)
*]Eph 4:11 And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers…
[/list]## This passage is using mythological language - necessarily, as realities outside human experience in this world cannot be adequately described in language and ideas framed for describing this-worldly realities.

That is one reason why so much of the Biblical text is expressed in metaphor and myth and symbol - it’s the only type of language available for things not known in this world. ##

At the final judgement, when the dead are raised and reunited with their bodies, there will be a physical place of hell. Right now, hell is a spiritual place (not that it doesn’t exist- the angels and demons are bodiless spirits, as are the souls of humans who have died- the physical world has no effect on spirits).

[quote=OhioBob]I’ve always heard it is Cleveland. :wink:

Seriously though, my understanding is that the Church teaches that hell is separation from God, not a physical location.

Like Cleveland.
[/quote]

I agree,hell is not a physical place,but the separation from God.But even if it would be a physical place,it would be far away from us,in an unreachable location.

[quote=CollegeKid]Location of Hell?
[/quote]

I thought EVERYONE knew that - it’s in Pittsburg.

(OK, OK, so I’m a Seahawks fan…)

Seriously, though, you could not get in a Range Rover or a rocket ship and travel to hell - it is a spiritual place.

[quote=DavidFilmer]I thought EVERYONE knew that - it’s in Pittsburg.

(OK, OK, so I’m a Seahawks fan…)

Seriously, though, you could not get in a Range Rover or a rocket ship and travel to hell - it is a spiritual place.
[/quote]

Sure. You could get to Cleveland in a Range Rover.

My sympathy regarding the 'Hawks.

[quote=thistle]CCC 1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”

If you were really a Catholic you would know the answers to the questions you raise in various threads are found in the CCC, but as I notice from your profile under religion you make derogatory remarks about the Catholic Faith I assume you are either an athiest or a Protestant. You should at least be honest about what you are!!
[/quote]

No! I am a Catholic, but I converted less than a year ago and there’s lots of questions I don’t know the answers to, if I’ve offended you I’m sorry but honestly I’m just looking for the truth. Also, I’m sorry if I offended you with my profile, it was only intended as a sort of joke but I guess it was in poor taste.

[quote=CollegeKid]No! I am a Catholic, but I converted less than a year ago and there’s lots of questions I don’t know the answers to, if I’ve offended you I’m sorry but honestly I’m just looking for the truth. Also, I’m sorry if I offended you with my profile, it was only intended as a sort of joke but I guess it was in poor taste.
[/quote]

Don’t worry about it. Keep asking. That’s the only way to get answers.

And be proud to be a Papist! I am. :thumbsup:

[quote=OhioBob]I’ve always heard it is Cleveland. :wink:

Like Cleveland.
[/quote]

I believe your geography is off, try Detroit.

Some things to consider: since the resurrection involves getting the body back and the joy of heaven is enjoyed spiritually as well as physically, then the inverse would have to give Hell a location where both the body and the spirit suffer eternally…as to the nature of this location, there’s only theological speculation.

in XT.

[quote=puzzleannie]I believe your geography is off, try Detroit.
[/quote]

Now dern it, we’ve already discussed in previous threads that Satan left Detroit a while ago. :smiley:

[quote=precious_roy]Now dern it, we’ve already discussed in previous threads that Satan left Detroit a while ago. :smiley:
[/quote]

While we’re at it, I’ll venture a guess that its New Jersey.

Christ “decended” into Hades which is not the Hell of eternal damnation. Christ released those righteous in Hades eg Adam and Eve, and all the prophets and righteous in God and rewarded them heaven. Heaven and Hell are states of afterlife. The same fire of the love of God that will be a soothing place for the repentant will also be painful for the unrepentant. God even loves those in Hell although those in hell dont love our God. God can not hate. Those in Hell can not stand God’s love and rebel against Him because they are the unrepentant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.