Location of where Adam and Eve first lived

Hello,

My son asked me today in what part of the country did Adam and Eve live. In other words, where was the Garden of Eden in our world atlas?

Thank you,
:slight_smile:

Eastern Anatolia in Turkey

Wow. I’ve researched this and may I ask, where did that map appear? No need to respond if you don’t want to.

Ed

Personally, I would answer: “Noone knows”. Because we don’t really know, and we cannot take the Book of Genesis litteraly on this point.

Traditionally it has been held to have been in Mesopotamia between/near the Tigris and the Euphrates. I personally see much of the story as allegory (though not just allegory), but that’s neither here nor there.

Humans most likely originated in Africa. Adam and Eve probably first lived in Africa.

Those are other humans living outside Eden, like those that lived in the land of Nod east of Eden, where Adam and Eve’s son Cain, found his wife.

Gen 4:16 "Then Cain went away from the presence of the Lord, and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden."

That has been debated back and forth on here in the past whether the land of Nod was an actual city or if it was just the name for a big region of unoccupied land.

If Nod was an inhabited city, then all we think about Adam and Eve are likely wrong, and they would not have been the very first people.

Who said anything about “city” ? it clearly say “land of Nod” (Nomad)

Of course there lived people outside of Eden, where Cain found his wife. God also put a mark on Cain, so that they wouldn’t kil him.

Gen 4:15 "And the Lord put a mark on Cain, so that no one who came upon him would kill him."

Without starting the debate on monogenism, the Church and Holy Scripture clearly teach that all men descend from a single pair; Cain’s wife was his sister, which in his time was not blameworthy.

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

No one knows.

How can you say the Holy Scripture clearly teach that all men descend from a single pair. After reading Gen 4:12-17 in the Holy Scripture ? Who were the men Cain was afraid of after killing his brother ?
Gen 4:12-17*** “you will be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth.” Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is greater than I can bear! Today you have driven me away from the soil, and I shall be hidden from your face; I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and anyone who meets me may kill me.” Then the Lord said to him, “Not so! Whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance.” And the Lord put a mark on Cain, so that no one who came upon him would kill him. Then Cain went away from the presence of the Lord, and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden. Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch; and he built a city, and named it Enoch after his son Enoch”*

Why would a stranger take vengeance for Abel?
I would think Cain would be afraid other siblings would exact revenge.

Maybe the strangers used to buy crop from Abel ? This “big incest family theory” is disgusting.

Everyone is related somehow.
But I will grant you that the more direct a relation the harder it is for our culture to accept.

But this would also extend to people wanting Cain dead for murder of his sibling.
Unless the sibling is a close relative, why would a stranger care?

Remember, it was not just your hypothetical merchant. It was everyone.
Which would lend support to the idea that the only people populating the earth at the time were siblings of Cain.

I personally disagree with that. The Scripture does not teach that. This is where the idea of evolution comes in.

The Jewish historian Josephus identifies the four rivers of Paradise as; Ganges (Phison), Euphrates(Phrath), Tigris(Diglath), and the Nile(Geon). This gives a large area from Egypt to India, and north to Turkey as the location of Paradise. He does not explain how it was one river in Paradise, or that how it water the whole earth.

Because Scripture clearly teaches that all men come from a single pair. Consider Gen. 2:5: “There was not a man to till the ground”. Also Eve is said to be “mother of all the living” (Gen. 3:20).

Similarly, the book of Wisdom calls Adam the first-formed father of the earth (Wis. 7:1).

St. Paul speaking before the Areopagus declares that he made from one man all the nations of the earth (Acts 17:26).

It’s not really disgusting, because it’s hard to find an exact precept from the natural law that would ban it. It’s rightly repudiated by almost all peoples, but it seems, that if it comes from the natural law, that it is a conditional natural law (do not have relations with close kin if there exist sufficient number of others more distant).

See above. Scripture most clearly does teach this.

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

Negating theology for a moment around the year 800 is the year that the amount of hunan pairs that is required to make you equals the population of the earth… so yeah there is that bit of gross incest.

I would add that if one subscribes to evolution + God it is logical that Adam and Eve were the first pair of humans evolved to a point where God chose to then give them the Garden. Their failure was an example of the failure of the first capable humans to meet God’s first “tests” if you will. This would make them the first “modern” humans in truest form… but biologically there could have been others for intermingling and stepping up into the “modern” human level. Much as later God chose the jews as the people to carry his truth, since as a whole humanity liked to fail at listening to Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.