Lockerbie bomber makes 'remarkable recovery'

Birthday party for Lockerbie bomber ... five months after doctors said he would be dead

The freed Lockerbie bomber will today celebrate his birthday in a Libyan mansion - almost eight months after the 'dying' man was released from prison.

Abdelbaset Ali Mohamed al-Megrahi is said to have made a 'remarkable recovery' after being allowed to return home from a Scottish jail on compassionate grounds last year.

The prostate cancer sufferer will 'quietly mark' his 58th birthday in Tripoli with family, friends and Libyan government officials who will be 'enjoying a dignified celebration and thanking God for his survival'.

Wow :eek:

What a disgrace; I hope someone gets to the bottom of how that deal was cut and who got paid off.

I guess it's good for him that he is the Lockerbie bomber and not the Singapore bomber or the Moscow bomber.

The prostate cancer sufferer will 'quietly mark' his 58th birthday in Tripoli with family, friends and Libyan government officials who will be 'enjoying a dignified celebration and thanking God for his survival'.

This is a good example of how people use God's name in vain. They are now pretending that God is complicit in their cult of evil.

When God is presented as celebrating with murderers and leaves the victims of the murderers alone in their graves, God himself is presented as aiding and abetting in unspeakable crimes against humanity.

For Christians wherever there is suffering, there God is. God is on the cross with the condemned, at the grave heartbroken with the loss of so many of his own.

God does not leave the 270 dead of Lockerbie to go celebrate with their murderers. To say so is blasphemy.

Apparently escaping the UK's Health Care System does a body good.

[quote="SamH, post:6, topic:193469"]

[/quote]

So much for the benefits of socialized medicine:ehh:

[quote="SamH, post:6, topic:193469"]

[/quote]

Im from the UK and it was in the newspapers here yesterday that Al-Megrahi will be dead within 4 weeks.

Why you decide to have a go at our NHS i dont know. Im a practicing Catholic and together with many other people in my diocease we have great pride in our National Health Service. It is not perfect by any means but it has saved millions of lives in this country since WW2.

[quote="timcfc, post:8, topic:193469"]
Im from the UK and it was in the newspapers here yesterday that Al-Megrahi will be dead within 4 weeks.

Why you decide to have a go at our NHS i dont know. Im a practicing Catholic and together with many other people in my diocease we have great pride in our National Health Service. It is not perfect by any means but it has saved millions of lives in this country since WW2.

[/quote]

In August 2009 "they" said he had at most 3 months to live. At his current rate he may outlive me.

cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/08/20/scotland.lockerbie.bomber/index.html

As to why leaving the UK might increase his odds of surviving:

medscape.com/viewarticle/561737

Although I can't find survival rates for Libya.

[quote="Darryl1958, post:7, topic:193469"]
So much for the benefits of socialized medicine:ehh:

[/quote]

i'm a Canadian but born in the Uk .Last year I had a horrible accident while visiting there and ended up four days in hospital requiring two pins and a titanium plate to hold my foot together,the care I received fom the paramedics ,trauma team ,surgeons and nursing staff ,was exemplary including medications and follow up, even a cd of the surgery to give to my doctors in Canada. I thank God everyday for them and their care It was very much appreciated by a very scared lady far from home . Guess what ?because we had contributed to UK pension for 20 years ..NO CHARGE put that in you pipe and smoke it . P..S latest reports the Locherbie bomber has four weeks to live ,we'll see but as a Scot I;m ticked off he got away with it Anne C

Im only going by what a doctor said in the UK newspapers said,he is no longer receiving any treatment and is in the last stages of cancer. The decision to let him go was based on the prison doctors advice,it was he who said that Al-Megrahi had 3 months to live. 3 other doctors disagreed with this but they were overuled. It is 1 of those 3 doctors who is now saying he will die within 4 weeks.

Could you send me another link as i couldnt get into that 2nd link you sent me,thank you.

Well, we certainly DIDN'Tsee this coming, right?! If we had a President with any, uhm, okay A SPINE, that murderer would be back to serve out the remainder of his sentence in jail.
Better yet,
SEND IN THE DRONES!!! LET'S END HIS SUFFERING BY SENDING A HELL-FIRE MISSILE DIRECTLY WHERE THE CANCER IS LOCATED!

[quote="jamanne, post:10, topic:193469"]
i'm a Canadian but born in the Uk .Last year I had a horrible accident while visiting there and ended up four days in hospital requiring two pins and a titanium plate to hold my foot together,the care I received fom the paramedics ,trauma team ,surgeons and nursing staff ,was exemplary including medications and follow up, even a cd of the surgery to give to my doctors in Canada. I thank God everyday for them and their care It was very much appreciated by a very scared lady far from home . Guess what ?because we had contributed to UK pension for 20 years ..NO CHARGE put that in you pipe and smoke it . P..S latest reports the Locherbie bomber has four weeks to live ,we'll see but as a Scot I;m ticked off he got away with it Anne C

[/quote]

Seems you are more ticked off at me for mocking Scotland's sacred health care system.

A Scopt must have her priorities, I guess. Justice for the two hundred and seventy five is secondary to defending socialized medicine.

Everyone should remember that at the time of his release BP was negotiating a very delicate deal with the Libyans over oil concessions off the Libyan coast. While the British government denies any connection, many believe the cancer story was dramatically overplayed to make the deal smell better. But if you ask me, it never passed the smell test. Here is one of those original stories:
independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-blairs-role-in-megrahi-release-1782523.html

[quote="magnificatlady, post:12, topic:193469"]
SEND IN THE DRONES!!! LET'S END HIS SUFFERING BY SENDING A HELL-FIRE MISSILE DIRECTLY WHERE THE CANCER IS LOCATED!

[/quote]

Noting that you identify yourself as a Roman Catholic, I thank you for providing a Catholic comment on the subject.

I wonder, though, if Pope Benedict would say that or agree with you. :shrug:

[quote="magnificatlady, post:12, topic:193469"]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well, we certainly DIDN'Tsee this coming, right?! If we had a President with any, uhm, okay A SPINE, that murderer would be back to serve out the remainder of his sentence in jail.
erm... are you aware that the US had nothing to do with the decision to release this fellow? It wasn't for the US to decide, but for Scotland, and the UK. It was in their country and their courts.

[/quote]

I was answering the sarcasm of the letter writers who used his release to mock the NHS.I had a very special attachment to the village of Locherbie and its people .going back to my childhood The horror of it stayed with me for many years as I am sure it does with the victims families .I personally knew the family whose Petrol station on the main street was destroyed along with them. You right justice was not served

The incident has made a mockery of the whole of Scotland actually, and the idea of British justice altogether.

Blood for oil at least gives a tangible reason for this mockery of justice. There is a least a recognition of where morality lies in the cold-blooded reasoning of a pyschopathy. At any rate it is a better reason than the official reason given as being a ‘humane decision’. If anyone thinks of this as being a humane decision, they are truly morally insane.

I don’t think that it was blood for oil actually. I think that the judge and the British elites that allowed this to happen truly have lost their moral compass. They haven’t even got the instincts of a pyschopath who hides his tracks. Right has become wrong and wrong right in their minds, good is evil and evil is good.

And anyone who is not frothing at the mouth mad at such a travesty is not far behind them on the road to moral insanity.

It is the kind of decision that could suck the life right out of a country like Scotland, if indeed there is any sort of life left in that country.

That happened 22 years ago. Why should Americans froth at the mouth? We have had our own domestic horrors - Oklahoma City and the WTC. Let the Scots tend to their own business, we have enough problems of our own.

It is the kind of decision that could suck the life right out of a country like Scotland, if indeed there is any sort of life left in that country.

I’ll leave your insult to the Scots to respond to. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.