Logic of hell being real

Every so often I hear the argument, even among Catholics that hell does not exist because God’s mercy is too infinite to allow hell to exist. My belief is that God’s mercy is in fact infinite and therefore we are the ones who reject God. I also like to believe nobody is in hell but perhaps that is wishful thinking. But let’s put all that aside. I believe logically speaking, we can look at just a few Bible verses and prove that hell is in fact a real place.

Mark 3:28-29

Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.

This implies that there is a case in which someone will have sin that always remains with them. We can debate what this situation actually is but point being is, there is a case in which a sin cannot be forgiven.

Revelation 21:27

“Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.”

Nothing imperfect can ever enter Heaven. Something that is sinful is thus imperfect. Therefore, those who have sinned against the Holy Spirit have committed a sin which cannot be forgiven and thus cannot enter Heaven because they are imperfect any any purification measures wouldn’t matter because their sin is eternal.

You could make the argument from these two verses that yes, some people won’t be able to enter Heaven if they have sinned against the Holy Spirit. But, that does not mean they go to a place such as hell for punishment. Perhaps they just cease to exist. Therefore, I use this verse from Jesus to say this is not the case.

Matthew 13:49-50

“This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

This shows that people do not just cease to exist but do in fact go to a very real place.

Why then, from these three verses being used together, are there still Christians who believe in the Bible but reject that hell exists? These three verses clearly show that hell is real based on the logic of imperfection not being able to enter Heaven.

I really believe it due to several things,
First and foremost it is the work of satan. It is the job of satan to convince us all that there is no such thing as hell and its punishments. It is the job of satan to convince us that even satan does not exist.

Hell and punishment is a tough and very severe concept. There are a couple of threads up recently ‘why does a loving God allow hell and throw those He loves into hell’ . It can be a concept beyond the understanding of human nature. I have heard God is love, therefore God exists. hell is not love therefore hell does not exist as a loving God could not have created hell.

But how then can it be explained what Jesus says in the Gospels about Fiery Gehenna? Lying would be a sin and Jesus never sinned so who do we believe here? The words of Jesus saying Fiery Gehenna exists, or ourselves trying to explain away how God works?

Seems to me like people are trying to play two sides of the fence, believe the Bible and know that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, but reject hell. If hell doesn’t exist, why not sin all the time? If sin is pleasurable which usually it is no matter what sin it is, why not sin as much as we want and just repent later? Seems to me that good works therefore matter a great deal and hell exists so that we actually are good people who try to imitate Christ. Ultimately we should follow Christ because we want to and because He is the Messiah, but many of us will follow in order to not be punished. But either way, at least we are following.

1 Like

Father spoke briefly on this at Mass this morning. He read of what St. Lucia saw when the Blessed Mother allowed the children to see a BRIEF glimpse of Hell. St. Lucia said she was glad it was so brief because any longer she would have died from fright. So yes Hell is real and sadly souls do go there for eternity. We must PRAY for our loved ones that they don’t go to Hell and that they live for God while on this Earth.

3 Likes

We certainly should not believe satan who is a very clever liar and deceiver. The first time satan lied and deceived was in the Garden of Eden , to Eve.

satan tried to lie to Jesus and deceive Him also. Remember satan offering the whole world to Jesus if Jesus so wanted the power and glory of being king of the world. satan said he could give that to Jesus.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.