LoH - two feasts

On the 12th of this month are the feasts of Our Lady of Guadalupe and St Jane Frances de Chantal. Is it possible to do the hours for both feasts? I can’t find anything in the General Instruction, but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard the concept mentioned, though it may have been in the context of the EF Mass and possibly the Office of the Dead. Has anyone heard of this?

It depends on where you are. I’m assuming that you are in the United States, as most who post on this forum are, I think.

In the United States, Our Lady of Guadalupe has been elevated to a feast (in Mexico, I believe it is a solemnity). The reason for this is two-fold. First, there are many people of Hispanic descent in the Church in the United States. For these individuals, the celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe is very important. Second, this feast should be important to others in the United States and throughout the Americas, as she has been named Patroness of all of the Americas.

So, what does this mean with respect to the liturgy on that day, both the Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours? Effectively, it means that the optional memorial of St. Jane Frances de Chantal is never celebrated in the United States or Mexico (the only exception being if there was a local solemnity honoring her).

In the rest of the world, Our Lady of Guadalupe is only an optional memorial (much like the celebration of Our Lady of Lourdes is here, for instance). In those places, you have a choice. But here, since Our Lady of Guadalupe is raised to the level of a feast, and it is always obligatory to celebrate a feast, and since feasts always trump any other memorial/optional memorial that may be on that day.

So, the short answer to your question is just ignore everything with respect to Jane Frances de Chantal.

I don’t know the rules for the LOTH, but there should be rubrics printing in your breviary. I’ve seen the collects of lesser feasts tacked on after the collect for the most important feast, both in my 1962 missal and my 1960 breviary. Again, check the rubrics of your 1970 breviary, and it should say if that model was retained or not.

You may always follow the guidelines for Our Lady of Guadalupe and add a personal prayer or devotion for St. Frances de Chantal.

I’ve done this when two saints share the day, and I have a devotion to both.

Thanks, buc_fan. That answers my question exactly.

Note that COL states

In the USA, Jane Frances de Chantal’s feast day was moved to August 12 in order to celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on December 12.

Another question: This Saturday is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Should I do Evening Prayer 2 for the Solemnity or Evening Prayer 1 for Sunday? I'd imagine the Sunday overrides the Solemnity, but I don't want to make assumptions.

EP I for Sunday.

The Sundays of Advent are of such importance that the Feast of the Immaculate Conception is moved if it falls on a Sunday. So no part of the IC celebration replaces a Sunday in Advent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.