Loneliness and boredom when you're sick

How do you fight the feelings of being lonely and bored when you’re stuck in bed far too often and in the middle of nowhere without reliable transportation the rest? It’s been driving me up a wall, I’m about sick of video games and tv and internet articles, but I’m in no shape to do anything that requires commitment to being able to show up reliably. I used to do crafts but I don’t have the money to buy raw materials anymore, so there’s not much left to do.

A friend of ours who is mentally ill (but very bright and literate) does online English tutoring for people overseas and gets paid for it.

**Prayer For A Lonely Soul

Jesus, Friend of a lonely heart, You are my haven, You are my peace. You are my salvation, You are my serenity in moments of struggle and amidst an ocean of doubts. You are the bright ray that lights up the path of my life. You are everything to a lonely soul even though it remains silent. You know the weaknesses and You comfort and heal, sparing us sufferings. Amen.**

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.
Anne Frank

I just remembered this quote when I read your post. Can you lie somewhere outdoors for a little while amidst nature? Or must you always be indoors?

Please be assured of my prayers. God bless you.

Much of the time I need to be indoors. Even outdoors…there’s nowhere to just rest, unless I trespass on someone else’s property.

And really, how long before just sitting gets old? When you are sick and stuck for months on end and you don’t know how long it’ll last…so many things that are comforting during short trials simply become one more irritation.

Yes I understand… I’ll pray for you. I once was in your situation for a completely different reason and I didn’t even have a pen or pencil to write something to pass time. I had absolutely nothing. Not saying that you should be grateful but just that I understand your situation and feel for you.

Would you be interested in learning a new language? I know it’s again internet + just sitting, but I don’t know what else to suggest.

I used to do crafts but I don’t have the money to buy raw materials anymore, so there’s not much left to do.

Try calling your local St Vincent de Paul center and see if they might have materials they would donate to you. You are a person in need, and that is what the SVDP is for.

If not SVDP, there is probably another 2nd hand store which may be willing to help you, or maybe some parish member.

God bless,
Mimi

Hope this helps:

A friend of mine saw your post and wanted to suggest two hobbies that you could do on a budget.
"First is Quilling. It is the art of making lovely things from rolled paper. Sure, there are fancy tools but it can be done with just paper, elmer’s glue and a toothpick.

Another is learning fiber salvage. I’ve been doing that for awhile, it is so therapeutic to break down an ugly sweater! There is an etsy market for selling the salvaged yarn, and of course the other logical thing is knitting or crocheting items from salvaged yarns. At yard sales and thrift shops, you can also buy afghans that someone else made, salvage that yarn and make something new!

The blogs say to avoid acrylic, but, I’ve salvaged some acrylic - heck, even $4 per skein for cheap acrylic yarn really adds up quickly, I can get an entire afghan at Goodwill for $4 and make that into something new and fresh.

This is the blog where I learned the techniques: dawnprickett.blogspot.com/2008/01/recycling-sweaters-for-yarn.html"

For myself I would see if you could get a cheap cross stitch kit ($10) and see if you like that, since everything is included except the hoop.

Hi DarkLight,

I am so sorry that you aren’t feeling well. :frowning:

I know what it is like, to be close to home these days.

I like to read, so I don’t really get that bored.

How about trying out some new hobbies, like jilly is recommending? :slight_smile:

I used to make Rosaries. I made the kind with the plastic beads.

You could also see if you like doing crewel work. That comes in a kit, too. You just need to get a hoop for the kit. I liked doing that. I also used to do rug hooking, too. Quilling was fun, too. Very detailed work.

I don’t know. A lot of the problem for me is that I need people in my life, but my health isn’t good enough to really go to anything. And even if I do I have to either convince someone to give me a ride or pay a taxi because the public transit out here is awful - so I basically don’t get to go places or see anyone. I’m really sick of sitting on my rear all the time with just the cats for company, though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.