Long distance marriage, prayers needed

Dear Forum Members,

I’m hoping you can all offer prayers, guidance and/or an ear. I got married to my husband in October of last year. We’ve had a long distance relationship for 2.5 years and dated for 5 years before that. Over the five year period we dated, we saw each other everyday. Sometimes it was to study together. Sometimes it was just to chat, have a meal, see a movie or go hiking. We did everything together. We were inseparable. Then, in 2003, I got a job that brought me to Utah. It was the only job I’d been offered (I’m also a Ph.D.), and he was still finishing his graduate degree. We decided that I would take it. We also decided that as soon as I was offered a job back East, I would move. I did just that. Well, he was supposed to finish his degree (a Ph.D.) and move to my city to find employment in the area. Not only has he not finished, but the date he says he’ll be able to move here keeps getting extended. First it was December, then January, and February. Two weeks ago, he said he would be here on March 1st. Now he says he won’t. I feel like giving up hope. Nothing seems to be working. My schedule doesn’t allow me to drive the three hours to his place very often. For his part, he doesn’t have a car. I love my husband dearly. He says he loves me, and I believe he loves me. But I don’t know how much longer I can go on in a long distance relationship. Please understand that it’s not the physical relationship that I’m talking about. I’m talking about having someone at home to talk to. I’m talking about sharing problems, fears and the details of life. We have wonderful internet and e-mail services, but it’s not the same. I’m at my end emotionally, and I’m wondering if you could pray for us. Thank you.

Our prayers go out to you and your husband

You’re in my prayers.

For what it is worth, my suggestion would be for one of you to put your career/education on the back burner for a bit and do what it takes to keep the marriage strong.

It might not be the most glamorous, but there ARE other jobs out there that would put food on the table and allow youto be together now, then focus on career when BOTH of you are ready to move on.

Then again, I don’t have a Ph.D or a wife. So maybe I’m ignorant.

I’ll certainly be praying for you both.

What are your degrees in? Would it be possible for your husband to work remotely on finishing his degree, say one week a month, living with you? If he still has writing to do on his dissertation, he could do that during the week.

Good luck!

Distance is hard…my prayers are with you both.

Mariabelieves:

Sorry to hear that you and your husband are going through a tough time. I’m praying for both you and your husband.
Prayerfully,

Renato

J†M†J
Praying for your intentions:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

God Bless
In Jesus through Mary
Steve

:signofcross:…May The Holy Spirit enter into this situation and resolve it happily for you both. Keeping you both in prayer…

This thread is 3 years old. It got revived somehow, but not by the OP. There probably was a resolution to this situation after 3 years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.