Long Hair and Head scarves

Ok, so I know this sounds kinda crazy but what opinion do you have about women and hair styles? Ive had mine short for a few years and I know it sounds crazy but when I had it long it felt more spiritual or mystical. Also, I see some older ladies in church wear the head scarves but not many. What is your opinion on this? Is this something that is more spiritual? Just some questions about church, hair styles, and fashion, lol! Wondering what all your opinions are?!

It´s a matter of personal taste. Not more, not less.

If you live a life of faith, if you are kind and gentle with others, if you are charitable and share your talents and the fruits of your labor with those in need, if you wear a smile for the world to see because or your recognition of all the Lord has done, and continues to do for you, do you really think He cares all that much about the length of your hair, or what type of “hat” you are wearing?

I for one find a smile on a woman’s face, far more attractive that whatever the supermodel du jour is wearing on her head.

I have long hair because I’m too busy to be getting it cut more than once every 1 or 2 years and it’s easier than short hair to pull back out of my face in a pony or bun when I’m cleaning or painting.

Spiritual, phooey

Agree, well stated.

“But if a woman nourish her hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering.” [1 Corinthians 11:15]

“Therefore ought the woman to have a power over her head, because of the angels.” [1 Corinthians 11:10]

The angels are concerned with the order that God has instilled in nature. Women in this life are to be protected and provided for by men, who are to protect, provide and lead women (NOT dominate and control and abuse women). Husbands are to treat their wives as Christ treats His church, and Jesus died for us. In Biblical times, married women wore veils.

this.

It´s about time and culture

Hair length could be determined by medical condition. My mom’s hair stopped growing as she neared 70 and began to fall out, she was nearly bald when she passed way. My almost 60 year old sister seems to be suffering the same. I have several friends whose hair fell out or changed after cancer treatments. Don’t judge people on hair length, as Alice has said, it’s a matter of personal preference and I add medical reasons, too.

TBH, this is all a matter of cultural conditioning. I was growing during the time of the let-it-all-hang-out 60s. Since my parents had no explanation for many of the traditional things they tried to teach me, and since those things were not what I wanted to do, I went for the then-current social take on things.

One of those things was definitely that long hair was a sign of being above mere worldly matters, which is actually a reflection of the old Protestant and Jansenist rejection of anything physical as evil.

Catholicism teaches us that attention to worldly matters is not bad, and can be very useful to us spiritually. Physical beauty draws many to the Church, in fact.

So wear your hair the way you want to. Some women have beautiful long hair and feel better with it like that. Others like short hair. Some like to do different things with their hair, others are more interested in other things. Do what works for you :slight_smile:

My car broke down once and I had to walk to the store in the balzing sun so I wore a broad-brimmed hat. It was great: I felt very focused, so then I started wearing a veil to Mass (somewhat irregulaly since I am not all that organized) and pulling it a bit forward around my face helps me focus my attention. It’s like blinders on a horse.

Other women have different reasons for wearing a veil, but veiling seems like a personal matter. If it helps your spiritual life, do it; if it doesn’t, then don’t.

A lot of these things are disciplines which help the people who do them, kind of like a bedtime routine helps people to go to sleep. These routines are very good for us and they also help us to become more self-disciplined. But we each need to do what works for us, not what we see others doing, or trying to become spiritual through a superficial act.

This is true, I missed it in my post, thank you. My mother also wears her hair short because of hair loss and it looks perfectly fine

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.