Long Marriage

Ok...I just have to brag a little....or celebrate. Sat is my husband's and I's 23rd wedding anniversary. In a world where everyone seems like they are getting divorced, that is something to celebrate.:clapping::clapping:

My heartiest congratulations!!!! Blessings to you both!

:)

Well done!

We just enjoyed our 22nd in May! Many blessings to you both and many happy healthy years! (We’re still babies to some in our parish that are in their 50’s and 60’s of married bliss! They like to remind me of that and smile, and I love to hear it. :smiley: )

Congratulations to you!

Our parish has an annual renewal of vows and wedding anniversary celebration for those married 5, 10, 15 ... years, and then every year after 50. It's always nice to see so many long-married couples. (We just celebrated our 37th last week; doesn't seem possible!)

Congratulations! My wife and I celebrated our 22nd back in April.

Yea!!! Go Us!!:bounce::love::clapping:

Paul

My most heartfelt congratulations to you. It is definitely something to celebrate in the truest sense. By sharing the joy you feel with others, I’m honored that you have included us in that joy.

I will include you in my prayers of thanks. Bless you and your family.

Congratulations! My wife and I have several years to go before we reach 23 years, but I definitely agree that it’s something to celebrate.

I think it’s interesting to see how much the definition of “long marriage” has changed, even since I was a kid. I have friends who have gone through trial or starter marriages, and others my age who are on their 3rd or 4th marriage (not even 40). I was talking to a friend recently who is finally on the path to finalizing her divorce from the husband she never lived with (but who left her with a couple more kids). After he “left” her (I don’t know how an absentee husband can actually leave) she swore off men until her kids were all at least through grade school. Instead, she’s been in at least 6 “serious” relationships in the last 18 months. When I asked her if she’ll ever get married again, she said that, at this point, she doesn’t see marriage in her future because she can’t fathom the idea of being with the same person for five or ten years. :eek:

I guess we just have a different understanding of what that marriage word means.

Congratulations! :clapping: It's definitlely something to celebrate in a culture where half of marriages end in divorce, and many people are just shacking up and having kids without ever getting married at all. I have a half sister who just ended her 6th marriage. :eek: Unfortunately that sort of thing will get you less criticism than staying married long-term - I don't know about anyone else, but I always hear a lot of negativity about folks who are in a first marriage that has lasted many long years. It's as if they are jealous and are putting them down for having something beautiful they know they never will. :shrug:

Yes.I guess your right.

[quote="Annabelle_Marie, post:1, topic:243696"]
Ok...I just have to brag a little....or celebrate. Sat is my husband's and I's 23rd wedding anniversary. In a world where everyone seems like they are getting divorced, that is something to celebrate.

[/quote]

it is indeed:thumbsup:
call back when you get to 42 years (grandkids optional, we have 9)

Congratulations!!! Always wonderful to hear. Commitment is getting to be too rare these days. Enjoy, and celebrate!

Congratulations! Today is our 23rd anniversary too!! Now if your first child was born on Sept. 10, 1989 I’ll really be freaked out.

Congratulations, 23 years is a long time in this age. We just celebrated our 42nd, but it feels like 23 (except for the 6 kids and almost 8 grandchildren):slight_smile:

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!

I remember as a kid my grand parents had their 60th wedding anniversary. My dad kept saying the biggest accomplishment to celebrate was they managed to live that long. ie back then no one got divorced and the real celabration was still being alive.

You are right that now adays, it is a BIG thing.

One last thing to add, my dad just passed away. This summer my parents would have had their 53rd anniversary if it wasn't for that. And let me tell you, I have NEVER made light of the fact that my parents were still married. I always knew how lucky I was to not have to deal with Mom's new boyfriend or Dad having a kid with another woman.

If you have kids, trust me, those 23 years are the BEST gift you have given them

CM

congratulations! :clapping:

You are a few years ahead of us. We'll be celebrating 20 years and are expecting baby #10. We'll wait a few years for grandkids. ;)

Yaaay! What a wonderful post to see :slight_smile: Congratulations!!! I’m only 3 months into my marriage and while things are tough, it’s amazing how having your best friend by your side makes everything seem possible! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congratulations :thumbsup: Nice to see some people are happily married :)

:thumbsup:

Wow, that is so awesome!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hope you guys have a really great day today :)

I have been married 11+ years and its better now than its ever been, but its the one thing in my life that has to be constantly focused on or it just gets lost in the battle of life! Both of our parents have been married 40+ years and its amazing to me how very few marriages last anymore :( I was watching on tv the other day a reality show where she said she was going into marriage knowing she had a way out. How sad is that :(

I pray for your marriage and for all of our marriages out there that we are at peace with one another and with GOD :)

Congratulations! Today is our 23rd anniversary too!! Now if your first child was born on Sept. 10, 1989 I’ll really be freaked out.

how about this: married 23 years today and our son Mark was born 9/ 9/ 89. preeeety close, yeah.

congrats to all of us! may all our 24th years of marriage be our holiest, healthiest, happiest and best!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.