Long rant by a Whitney fan----PLEASE bear with me

:thumbsup::):o

True-------that and the contraceptive issue affect us more. Absolutely. But you are implying that the media has not covered this AT all. Before WH’s death, that’s all the media was covering. WH’s death interrupted temporarily.

Notice today we are beginning to get OTHER news now more. it was the suddeness of it and the passing of a great singer and “God-touched” person that precipitated the coverage.
:thumbsup:

Sorry—I just don’t see anything wrong with marking the passing of a truly God-blessed person--------and somebody who can used as a example for others on the dangers and the nightmare of drug and alcohol abuse. If SHE fell, so can all of us. There but for the grace of God go us.

That’s why we need God and Christ in our lives. So we do not have to fell like her and others.

Through the prayers of the Mother of God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

With regard to Whitney Houston’s death, I am going to withhold comment until the results of thetox screen come in, and even then I will probably have nothing to say.

I do object to how this story is completely hijacked the news. There are things taking place in the world that have far more global impact than the death of one entertainer, as fine an entertainer as she was, and as tragic as her death is. The Headline News Network has become the Whitney Houston Memorial Network. I’ve had it on for an hour and a half, and only in the past five minutes have they switched to another story.

I agree there has been some OVERCOVERAGE----but like I said in my previous post, that was done primarily in response to the shock of her death. Surprise, no…shock, yes…

The news is slowly coming back to “normal.” :slight_smile:
I’m just upset that people seem to be implying that she contributed nothing to American society…

Sorry, That is just not true.

yep.

Totally agree. And I would still agree if she had done nothing but “I Will Always Love You.”

I agree with what you are saying,since this if the Euro collapses,could be damaging to the US,and the threat of World War 3 with Iran hangs over our head is more important.
The problem with her was she got invovled in drugs,and her record label executives didn’t care as long as she was bringing in the cash.Maybe they should have tried to get her help,even if they could have in some way commited her to a drug rehab place with family consent.I read her vocie had gotten raspy from her drug use in the past,and she on some concert had trouble hitting the high notes. Well, they could have worked with her on that to.Finding her new music to use to suit her voice. I pray she is with Jesus, but I’m worried about far more important things going on in the world that Whitney’s death.

Some think that this is a means of deliberately “dumbing down” the population.

Whitney Houston had the greatest voice,

What bothers me not that she is getting some coverage and will get that coverage for some days to come but many are using her death as a ploy for us to reconsider looking at legalizing drugs. HUH

The problem is no one and I mean on one under age 50 remembers KAREN QUNINLAN. This case was a major news story for so many years and yet no one knows about this story. She was in a hospital because of an overdose of drugs and alcohol of the same kind that Whitney took and her parents ended her life - the first right to die

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan

Whitney Houston died from an overdose of legal prescriptions and alcohol when she was trying to get away from drug addiction.:frowning:

I guess technically her parents had her respirator removed which at the time shocked everyone but I remember it being a major story - her picture everywhere and she lived for nine more years, it was a right to life drama.

You are SO right…:thumbsup::slight_smile:

Yes, it IS a way of “dumbing down the poulation.”

People are now waking up to that fact.

Sad, too.

We won’t know one way or the other on that until the tox screen comes back, and that won’t be for a couple weeks. You’re jumping the gun.

Indeed.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think Barbra Streisand managed to sum it up best:

“She had everything, beauty, a magnificent voice. How sad her gifts could not bring her the same happiness they brought us.”

What a very Christian thing to say!

We give thanks that she did touch so many lives in a positive way.

We pray for her friends, family and most of all, her daughter who must now go on without a mother.

As my people would say,

May her memory be eternal!

Yep…I agree.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree with both your points. “Dateline” did a bio of her and one the things they discussed was that in the beginning of her career Whitney was booed and harrassed for being too white/not black enough. In her defense, on your second point, I suspect she fell to the pressure of those handlers and ended up with the wrong crowd.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here. She died from legal drugs but you’re concerned about people wanting to make illegal drugs legal? She died from alcohol and legal drugs but you don’t mention a desire to make alcohol illegal? It seems there’s a lot of contradictions in this post. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

Like Don Henley so aptly put it:
I make my living off the evening news,
Just give me something, something I can use.
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry…
Kick’em when they’re up, kick’em when they’re down,
*Kick’em when they’re stiff, kick’em all around.

Honestly while I read some of your post I didn’t read all of it. I can’t say I was a big fan. I thought she was ok and I’m sad for her family and fans that she died so relatively young. It seems that fame and addition overtook her life at some point along the road and nobody noticed till it was too late. She had been having trouble for years but it never really made the news like Amy Winehouse’s problems or Brittany Spears. I pray that her soul finds peace. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.