Longing for orthodoxy of old

I find the orthodoxy of the schismatic churches following the Society of Pope Pius X priests so tempting. Now it’s not tempting enough for me to leave 'cause I have questions like, “If they’re so orthodox how can they reject the authority of the pope?” However, I find it sad that the same kind of reverance and continuity is so hard to find in the Catholic church. The church in the U.S. seems so mixed up and confused trying so hard to entertain, please, and not offend.

I have friends that have begun attending these churches and say they feel a holiness which they couldn’t feel in the Catholic church. Their teenagers are now much more attentive in mass. The family has become a stronger “Catholic” family. In other words, they are just a strong and holy family which they weren’t before.

I long for the conservative church which I grew up with & have a difficult time finding. Any suggestions? Anyone else out there feeling the same?

[quote=AServantofGod]I find the orthodoxy of the schismatic churches following the Society of Pope Pius X priests so tempting. Now it’s not tempting enough for me to leave 'cause I have questions like, “If they’re so orthodox how can they reject the authority of the pope?” However, I find it sad that the same kind of reverance and continuity is so hard to find in the Catholic church. The church in the U.S. seems so mixed up and confused trying so hard to entertain, please, and not offend.

I have friends that have begun attending these churches and say they feel a holiness which they couldn’t feel in the Catholic church. Their teenagers are now much more attentive in mass. The family has become a stronger “Catholic” family. In other words, they are just a strong and holy family which they weren’t before.

I long for the conservative church which I grew up with & have a difficult time finding. Any suggestions? Anyone else out there feeling the same?
[/quote]

Look up your diocese on the net. They will usually list all the parishes in your diocese and many of those have websites. By looking at the website you can usually tell if their orthodox by thier devotions, possibly Mass schedule and any links they provide may give you a clue. Also if their are pictures on the site that may help. That is how we found ours.

If you feel comfortable pm-ing me your location I’ll help you search. There’s usually at least one orthodox parish in the diocese.

I had the same feeling and when our Bishop allowed an indult Tridentine Mass I went. I knew I had found the right place. I was hooked. I love the beauty and reverence of the Tridentine Mass.

Where do you live? Try to find an indult (permission from the Bishop) Tridentine Mass in your area. I agree with you when you say you wouldn’t go to a schismatic church. What would be the point? You’d gain reverence but lose in the end.

[quote=AServantofGod]I find the orthodoxy of the schismatic churches following the Society of Pope Pius X priests so tempting. Now it’s not tempting enough for me to leave 'cause I have questions like, “If they’re so orthodox how can they reject the authority of the pope?” However, I find it sad that the same kind of reverance and continuity is so hard to find in the Catholic church. The church in the U.S. seems so mixed up and confused trying so hard to entertain, please, and not offend.

[/quote]

I understand the temptation. I’m all for kneelers, facing away, gregorian chant, if it is old, I like it. However, I am tied to my faith community even if the liturgy is on the lame side (there is no flagrant abuse). It is still a valid mass even though it requires much effort on my part to tune out the lameness and focus on who I am recieving. Also, if I were to leave, I would be giving up the field to the lame liturgy crowd. The solution for me is fight, not flight. If there is out-and-out willful and flagrant abuse, I would probably skedaddle.

Also, I would be very wary of the “I feel holier” argument. This sounds eerily similar to the evangelical, pentecostal sects, or the mormon “burning in the bosum”.

Scott

[quote=Scott Waddell]I understand the temptation. I’m all for kneelers, facing away, gregorian chant, if it is old, I like it. However, I am tied to my faith community even if the liturgy is on the lame side (there is no flagrant abuse). It is still a valid mass even though it requires much effort on my part to tune out the lameness and focus on who I am recieving. Also, if I were to leave, I would be giving up the field to the lame liturgy crowd. The solution for me is fight, not flight. If there is out-and-out willful and flagrant abuse, I would probably skedaddle.

Also, I would be very wary of the “I feel holier” argument. This sounds eerily similar to the evangelical, pentecostal sects, or the mormon “burning in the bosum”.

Scott
[/quote]

Scott I understand your point but in my mind I figure if orthodox parishes continue to grow than diocese will take notice at the need for orthodoxy.

Greetings,

The Conservative Church of Old is a myth. I am currently reading Mediator Dei(1947). It is the most wonderful of Liturgical Documents. I would encourage anyone who love the liturgy to read it. However, throughout the document it is confronting Liturgical and theological abuses: Example-- it spends a lot of time saying there is priesthood of the baptized, but they do NOT have the power to consecrate, the ordained minister is necessary, and his authority does NOT come from the congregation. Then entire document is confronting issues like this.

If the document is correcting them, then they must have existed then. There were still theologians then saying strange things that needed to be addressed. They just didn’t have media we have now to tell everyone their ideas.

Secondly, the problem is NOT the liturgy, but Liturgical catechesis and Practice. Read the General instruction for music during processions: First choice of Music is the Roman Graduale(Gregorian Chant), the Second choice is the Simple Gradual(simplified chant), the Third choice is chanting the Psalms, and the Last chance is Hymns approved by the bishops conference. How many parishes are singing something OTHER than hymns? They are NOT doing it correctly. In fact, many parishes are NOT even doing approved hymns, but stuff off the radio. It is not the General Instructions that is wrong, but their practice.

Thirdly, it is very difficult to get correct liturgy done in a parish. The resistance is amazing.

peace

[quote=rayne89]Scott I understand your point but in my mind I figure if orthodox parishes continue to grow than diocese will take notice at the need for orthodoxy.
[/quote]

Well, I really believe if one jumps ship over the liturgy, they will regret it later. Advocating orthodox flight will cause more problems than it will cure.

Scott

[quote=rayne89]Look up your diocese on the net. They will usually list all the parishes in your diocese and many of those have websites. By looking at the website you can usually tell if their orthodox by thier devotions, possibly Mass schedule and any links they provide may give you a clue. Also if their are pictures on the site that may help. That is how we found ours.

If you feel comfortable pm-ing me your location I’ll help you search. There’s usually at least one orthodox parish in the diocese.
[/quote]

These are great ideas. I usually rely on word of mouth, but most people are in the same position I’m in. They’re asking the same questions, so we are the blind leading the blind.

[quote=Scott Waddell]Well, I really believe if one jumps ship over the liturgy, they will regret it later. Advocating orthodox flight will cause more problems than it will cure.

Scott
[/quote]

Scott, so then do you feel it is best to work for change from within rather than leave because you are unhappy with a handful of things? I see our parish as our family, and with family I’ve never jumped ship. I put up with all the quirks of family members as they do with mine because what is deeper is what is important. I look at my parish this way but still long for something more conservative especially for our children.

[quote=moira]I had the same feeling and when our Bishop allowed an indult Tridentine Mass I went. I knew I had found the right place. I was hooked. I love the beauty and reverence of the Tridentine Mass.

Where do you live? Try to find an indult (permission from the Bishop) Tridentine Mass in your area. I agree with you when you say you wouldn’t go to a schismatic church. What would be the point? You’d gain reverence but lose in the end.
[/quote]

Does a parish have to have permission from the Bishop to have a Tridentine Mass? A parish can’t just decide on their own? I didn’t know that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.