Looking Down on Others

God wants us to correct other people’s sins like if they are being rude, gossiping, lying. It can be very tempting to believe you are better than someone because you do not commit a similar sin or because you have a more recognized spiritual gift. Some people can easily mingle with any type of person. While others may have reservations. It is easy to think you may a better person if the sins you commit are not blatant or met with strong social disapproval. Being judgmental is very looked down upon, along with being racist, gossiping, extra-marital affairs. Being too pushy or annoying is more frowned upon. This relates to my earlier question, why would Jesus forgive the thief on the cross? Most people agree that thieves deserve justice, condemnation, etc. I am curious why people act like these two groups of people are the worse.

I think that Jesus knew that the thief BELIEVED in him, and the joy of being saved by Christ is that He will forgive those that truly seek forgiveness. The thief admitted that he should be punished, that his punishment was just, but that Christ had not committed a crime. I don’t believe that God put all of us on His earth to judge one another, but I think if we are sincerely trying to help one turn away from sin, we will do it without judgement. I try my best to simply lead by a good example and to look up to others that do the same rather than to judge.

There’s a difference between judging a person and judging their actions.

It seems that today any attempt at judging people’s actions is looked down upon more than any sin such as adultery or gossip. Even reverse racism is tolerated.

Sorry, I didn’t read your earlier thread.

I’m not sure I understand what you are getting at.

I would have to disagree with you God want us to correct other people’s sins - maybe it’s the choice of phrase. I don’t really know what you mean by ‘correct.’ If we corrected others every time we perceive them as doing something we think is a sin, we would never stop correcting others and wouldn’t have many friends. Certainly we are justified in condemning the acts of lying, gossiping etc. but bringing it down to a personal level is an area for caution.

On the thief on the cross - death is not a just punishment for lying, so the thief was being unjustly punished.

Jesus forgave the thief because he was genuinely repentant and believed in him.

Definitely agree. Although it’s difficult when you feel like they constantly do dumb things. At least for me it is. :shrug:

When I feel lots of people around me are constantly doing dumb things I try to look at myself and try to see if my pride is getting in the way. I know I tend to be a perfectionist and I hold myself and others to impossibly high standards. It even makes me angry when people don’t do things “my” way because mine is the “right” way. In my pride I tend to hold myself above others and am quick to find fault with others. I confess this stuff frequently and am getting better but still, it’s a tough row to hoe.

You cannot be too gentle, too kind.

Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other.

Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives.

All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other…

Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace.

Keep silent, refrain from judgment. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult, and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Peace

The Good Thief was repentant of his sins on the cross, confesses his faith in Jesus and Lord (God), fraternally corrected the Bad Thief, and was resigned to his death. He died a very holy death. The unrepentant Bad Thief died a bad death, he did not merit heaven. God bless you.

Absolutely! This was a constant theme with Jesus; the plank in your own eye, etc.

The “cast the first stone” incident backs up, IMO, what you are saying. These people had sins of pride, arrogance, whatever. And here is an adulteress whom they can have a great time condemning publicly, while Jesus knew every one of them knew they were ultimately no less sinful than she was in their hearts and minds.

That’s why I think Jesus said that the desire to harm and even anger toward a brother, fits under the same commandment as killing him. Just because your sin “doesn’t show” for an observer to objectively and conclusively describe, doesn’t mean what’s in your heart isn’t just as bad.

Being judgmental is very looked down upon, along with being racist, gossiping, extra-marital affairs.

Absolutely. Jesus was always railing against the judgmental. When was He moralistic? Some say when He said, “go and sin no more.” Gosh that’s pretty lame, compared to what He said to the self-righteous judging others for their “showy” transgressions like not washing cups and picking grain on the sabbath. Here’s what He had to say to them …

Matt 23:27-28
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing."

Really, the whole chapter is pretty amazing. Note that the ones who really get Jesus going, second only to the money-changers, are the righteous ones who cast judgment against those who have the “socially visible” sins.

MS

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.