Looking for a beautiful family bible

Hello all!

I am in the market for a Bible. Not just any Bible, I am searching for a beautiful traditional Catholic Bible. Preferably in leather, with good readability, and with beautiful old Catholic pictures inside. I know that in my youth in the 70’s I used to see them but now all of the “Catholic Bibles” I run across seem very utilitarian or void of “Catholicity”, if you know what I mean? Anyway, help in finding such a Bible would be fantastic. I’m thinking RSV or probably Douay Rheims would be the logical version.

What is the “Confraternity Edition”? Which version is that one?

Thanks and God bless for any help!

The Confraternity Edition was a NEW Catholic translation, that was begun in the 1930’s. The first edition was published in about 1941. That early translation (mainly from the Greek, not the Vulgate) was of the New Testament only. The Old Testament continued to be the Douay version. So up until the 50’s and 60’s you would find the Douay-Confraternity edition Catholic Bibles. They are excellent translations. Eventually the Old Testament was also translated, and when it was finished, and combined with the revised Confraternity edition, it became the first edition of the New American Bible of 1970.

If the archaic language of the Douay/Rheims Bible is not a problem for you, then Loretto publications has a magnificent, leather bound, family Bible, which is an exact reprint of the 1859 unabridged Haydock Douay Rheims Bible. I have this Bible and can attest to its quality. In fact I was the one that added those pictures in the feedback reviews… :wink:

Search the Catholic Bibles Blog.

catholicbiblesblog.com

Just a few from his website include:

Divine Mercy Bible - catholicbiblesblog.com/2010/05/catholic-family-bible-divine-mercy.html

St. John’s Illuminated Bible - catholicbiblesblog.com/2009/04/st-johns-bible.html

LRCSB Delux Edition - catholicbiblesblog.com/2012/03/news-on-lrcsb-deluxe-edition.html

There are lots more. Head on over to Tim’s blog and search for “Family Bible”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.