Looking for a good book on Confession and Reconciliation

I'm looking for a good book on the sacrament of reconciliation. One that speaks to how to best practice it as part of a Catholic life. Thanks!!!

Two recommendations…ironically (maybe not)…both with same name…both are excellent with different styles. This first one is really very detailed…precise and direct in its presentation…with a good dose of bluntness and humor written in 1940’s…its my number one classic. Father Wilson is pastoral…but he really opens the penitent’s eyes/heart to when he/she is misleading himself/herself…his charity involves not letting the penitent ignore all the self inflicted…personality and psychological pitfalls…that our pride can lead us into…and cause us to not make the spiritual progress we desire.

Pardon and peace [Hardcover]
Alfred Wilson (Author)
257 pgs.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rzaNpxmpL.SL500_AA300.jpg

5.0 out of 5 stars
A reflective and timeless guide, enthusiastically recommended for practicing Catholics of all walks of life. June 8, 2007
By Midwest Book Review
Written by pastor Father Alfred Wilson, Pardon and Peace was originally published in the 1940s; today, this laymen’s guide to obtaining the full spiritual and mental gifts of the Catholic practice of Confession remains as relevant and valuable as ever. Chapters discuss the problems of inaccurate confession, the three conditions that must be present for a sin to be mortal, four guidelines for confessing venal sins, common excuses for avoiding Confession and why they should be shot down, helpful advice for those who find themselves confessing the same sins over and over, and much more. “God has given us ten commandments only. If we make additions of our own, we imply that God’s way is not safe, which is blasphemous nonsense and implicit, if unintended, lecturing of the Almighty. By all means let us do the harder thing, the supererogatory, provided our motive is love not fear; but let us not make commandments out of counsels.” A reflective and timeless guide, enthusiastically recommended for practicing Catholics of all walks of life.
[INDENT]

[quote]amazon.

com/Pardon-peace-Alfred-
Wilson/dp/0912141980

[/quote]

[/INDENT]

Re published 2001 by*** Roman Catholic Books*** but they don’t carry it anymore… recommend shop for it on Alibris…price can vary widley,for both new and used. I payed @$25.00 fo a new hardcover…@ 7-8 yrs ago.

alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=9808605

Pax Christi

[quote="Lancer, post:2, topic:308767"]
Two recommendations...ironically (maybe not)...both with same name...both are excellent with different styles. This first one is really very detailed...precise and direct in its presentation...with a good dose of bluntness and humor written in 1940's...its my number one classic. Father Wilson is pastoral...but he really opens the penitent's eyes/heart to when he/she is misleading himself/herself...his charity involves not letting the penitent ignore all the self inflicted...personality and psychological pitfalls...that our pride can lead us into...and cause us to not make the spiritual progress we desire.

[/quote]

These are exactly the two books I was going to recommend! Excellent choices.

In the introduction to the more recent book, by Fr. Francis Randolph, he gives mention and great credit to the original book by the same name, so apparently it was intentional

Here is my second recommendation…sent to me by a former Marine combat buddy…who is now a priest…whom I served in later career with when he was a priest-chaplain (US Navy)…he knows how much I need to stay close to the Sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession.This book is also excellent…goes a more into theology and history of Sacrament…more a spiritual guidance style than the prescriptive style of Father Wilson’s book.

Pardon and Peace: A Sinner’s Guide to Confession [Paperback]
**Father Francis Randolph **130 pgs @ $12.00

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NEe0drYEL.BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01.jpg

Book Description
Publication Date: March 24, 2001

Fr. Francis Randolph presents a very positive and practical understanding of the immense value of the sacrament of confession for the modern Catholic. Father Randolph helps the reader to see how the sacrament of confession meets the deepest needs of the penitent on the spiritual, emotional and psychological levels.
Step by step we follow the different stages of the rite, looking at the various elements of the sacrament and what they mean for the average sinner in the box. The author draws on his own experiences, on both sides of the grille, to explain what is actually happening in this sacrament, and why it is so helpful for growing in the love of God and neighbor. Because of so much recent confusion over the nature and purpose of the sacrament, the book tackles the common objections and anxieties over confession, and recommends frequent confession for getting rid of stress and anxiety, and growing in confidence before God.

Review
"A clear, sound, eminently sensible exposition of the why and how of one of Christ’s often-neglected sacramental gifts. Both Catholics who seldom approach this sacrament and Catholics for whom it is an established part of their spiritual lives will find a lot that is helpful and inspiring here, as will priests and catechists."
Russell Shaw, Author, Why We Need Confession
"An intelligent and compassionate explanation of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and of all aspects of penance and the forgiveness of sin. Very helpful for younger Catholics, for older Catholics, and questioning non-Catholics."
Fr. Benedict Groeschel, CFR, Author, Arise from Darkness

[INDENT]

amazon.com/Pardon-Peace-Sinners-Guide-Confession/dp/089870832X/ref=pd_sim_b_2

[/INDENT]

Pax Christi

Lord Have Mercy by Scott Hahn is excellent.

bingo. I will second that.

Thank you everyone!!! God bless you!

[quote="Lancer, post:4, topic:308767"]
Here is my second recommendation...sent to me by a former Marine combat buddy...who is now a priest...whom I served in later career with when he was a priest-chaplain (US Navy)....he knows how much I need to stay close to the Sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession.This book is also excellent...goes a more into theology and history of Sacrament...more a spiritual guidance style than the prescriptive style of Father Wilson's book.

Pardon and Peace: A Sinner's Guide to Confession [Paperback]
**Father Francis Randolph **130 pgs @ $12.00

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NEe0drYEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

[INDENT][/INDENT]

Pax Christi

[/quote]

I have Pardon and Peace and like it.

So, I went to my Catholic bookstore near my house. I asked about Pardon and Peace, and they were out of stock. They did have Lord Have Mercy, so that's what I bought. Thanks to everyone who recommended anything! Merry Christmas and Blessed New Year!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.