Looking For A Little Advice

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a little advice. I don’t find it difficult to go to confession, but I have something I’d like to confess. I’ve heard that once you confess some things, you can begin the healing process. Have any of you had a difficult time confessing something that you found to be extremely embarrassing? How did you overcome the embarrassment, and finally confess the sin? There are a few other people I could ask this, but I wanted to unbiased opinions from you great folks. Thank you in advance for helping. God Bless!

I found that in forcing myself to say “it”, I was one step closer to recovery, becuz I NEVER wanted to put myself in a position to have to say “it” again :smiley:

Dear friend,You can confess everything,and You should do so. If You leave something out on purpose,that sin is still on Your shoulders,if You forget something,that is OK,that sin is forgiven if You from all Your heart and mind are sorry and regret what You may have done,or not done. So don’t feel embarrassed,confess with open heart and mind. God bless You.

Say the difficult thing first so you don’t chicken out! You can fool yourself a little bit by doing this, too, since you will probably confess other things after it, and it won’t be the last, most memorable thing you say.

Realize, of course, that the priest has surely already heard this sin, whatever it is, perhaps hundreds or thousands of times, and what is a big deal for you to say is probably something he hears every time he steps into the confessional.

Finally, remember the seal of confession. Unless you bring it up, the priest may never ever mention this sin to you ever again, and is not permitted treat you differently because you have confessed it.

Ask your guardian angel to help you, too.

Pray for a good Confession before you go. Pray for the Priest and pray for yourself. Pray for courage and honesty. Pray for the sanctification of the Priest who hears Confession.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess it’s more of a lack of courage to face my embarrassment, rather than the embarrassment itself. God Bless you all.

It happens to all of us. The best thing to do is decide what you are going to say and how, then just get in there and do it.
Does your parish (or one nearby) offer the option to confess behind a screen? If so this could help.

Peace
James

This is something I did (because I got so nervous I would struggle even to remember what I needed to confess!)

I wrote down my confession.

Not a lengthy memoir, that is not required.

Just the name of the sin, or the number of the commandment it falls under is enough.

After you ask for your blessing, and the introductory statements about your last confession are over, it is alright to tell the priest that you are nervous and embarassed. That will let him know he may need to follow with a few questionsso your confession will be complete.

All the best!

Oh my, yes, I have been embarrassed by some of my worst sins! I overcame that embarrassment by telling myself that the priest is acting as Jesus Christ, and He wanted me to own up to my actions and be forgiven them. I went into the confessional with the idea that Jesus was on the other side of that screen, and kind of blocked out the fact that the man who was physically sitting there was a man (does that make sense?). I did not let myself think of it as telling my sins to another human being (which of course, I was), but as talking directly to Jesus (which I also was).

Hi,

For me … I just say “it”. However, for my husband, he waits until we have a penance service where there are multiple priests and chooses one who is not our regular priest. He finds it easier to tell to a priest who doesn’t know him.

Yes, a screen is present. My parish offers face-to-face, or the screen. My biggest problem is, I work closely with all of the priests at my parish to the point where one of them identifies me by name in the confessional.

I had a difficult sin once and told the priest right out that this was going to be difficult for me. He was very patient and told me to take my time and he would not rush me. I just sat there until I was ready to say it. It was not at regular confession time but by appointment so I had the luxury of having time. He was very kind and said the perfect thing after.

Think about the priest to priest confessions. I bet all priests find empathy with your embarassment!

You will be suprised how many people think the same way. A priest is trained for the Confessional. This is his handiwork. A priest will never think twice entering the Confessional. He is trained to listen to your sins and to give the proper treatments. What is the proper treatment? To grant you forgiveness from the best friend you will have ever known. The greatest miracles always occurs in the Confessionals. His Great Act of Mercy is always available. To read more on this please pick up a copy of " The Diary: Divine Mercy in my Soul" by St.Maria Faustina and you will find a wealth of material to reflect on.

=RyanCV;7498320]Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a little advice. I don’t find it difficult to go to confession, but I have something I’d like to confess. I’ve heard that once you confess some things, you can begin the healing process. Have any of you had a difficult time confessing something that you found to be extremely embarrassing? How did you overcome the embarrassment, and finally confess the sin? There are a few other people I could ask this, but I wanted to unbiased opinions from you great folks. Thank you in advance for helping. God Bless!

Hi Ryan,

Candidly I would NOT be surprized to disscover that EVERY PERSON who has been to Confession has had to confront these same concerns.

At age 66, I can assure that I have!

KNOW Ryan, that there are NO NEW SINS! Priest have heard them all, mutiple times; and have taken a VOW that even threatended with DEATH cannot reveal what they have heard in the Confessional.

Let Father know at that you’d like his assistance in revealing something you find difficult to Confess and he’ll guide you through the process.

TRUST in the Mercy and Love of Christ. Ask the Holy Spirit and your Guardian Agel to assist you before the Confession.

Your do just FINE my friend!

I’ll keep you in my prayers,
Pat

There would definitely be added purification there, if the priest knows you quite well.

Suck it in and go for it! Thats what I tell myself. One time my voice just broke up and I trembled while confessing. Such is my embarassment of my sins. After which I was granted the graces to get better from it.

I just ran it over and over in my mind and then I just mustered up the courage and went for it.

It sounds like you all are on the same page as the little guy with the halo on my left shoulder (lol) is telling me. Just go for it. Thank you all so very much for giving me this advice. At my next confession, I honestly feel that I am ready to face my embarrassment, and confess this sin. You all will be in my prayers. God Bless:signofcross::blessyou:!

Originally Posted by RyanCV
Yes, a screen is present. My parish offers face-to-face, or the screen. My biggest problem is, I work closely with all of the priests at my parish to the point where one of them identifies me by name in the confessional.

There remains the option to go to another parish ASAP!

Just DO IT!,

Sin is a HEAVY BURDEN and a GREAT RISK!

God Bless,
Pat

Sure the devil always tempts me with the ideas of human respect and “what will the priest think of you” but I then like to tell God that I will trust in Him and suffer all the humiliation that I get if it does come my way since he suffers for me. I do my best to always view the priest as Christ since the priest is Christ’s representative and I do my best to remember to always pray to the Holy Spirit for true contrition, repentance and the light to know all my sins and confess them.

Here are some exercises from Saint Leonard of Port Maurice that I have found very helpful.

EXERCISES FOR CONFESSION

Weep, O my soul, for all your sins; detest your guilt beyond every form of calamity; and do so with the purpose of Confession: for by your sins you have offended God your Father; you have offended God your Creator; you have offended your God Who hath never injured you; you have offended God Who hath elected you for His adopted son; you have offended God Who hath made you an inheritor of paradise; you have offended God, the highest Good-----goodness infinite-----the fountain of grace; you have offended God while in the very act of blessing you.

Weep for your sins, because you have offended a God Who for love of you made Himself man; you have offended a God Who for love of you was born in a stable; you have offended a God Who, while yet in His infancy, began to shed tears and Blood for you; you have offended a God Who for love of you lived poor and unknown in a workman’s shed; you have offended a God Who for love of you went about preaching His heavenly doctrine amid toil and misery; you have offended a God Who for love of you instituted the most holy Sacraments; you have offended a God Who for love of you has left Himself to be entirely yours in the Most Holy Sacrament; you have offended a God Who sweated Blood for love of you; you have offended a God Who let Himself be bound and dragged and outraged for love of you; you have offended a God Who caused Himself to be buffeted, to be spit upon, to be kicked again and again, for love of you; you have offended a God Who chose to be tied to a pillar, and scourged, for love of you; you have offended a God Who chose to be crowned with thorns for love of you; you have offended a God Who let Himself be robed as a mock king, and made an object of jest and ridicule, for love of you; you have offended a God Who let Himself be loaded with a heavy Cross for love of you; you have offended a God Who caused His Hands and His Feet to be pierced with great nails for love of you; you have offended a God Who gave His last gasp hanging nailed on a Cross for love of you; you have offended a God Who let gall and vinegar be given to Him to drink for love of you; you have offended a God Who for a last pledge of His unbounded love, left you as a son to Mary, and Mary as mother to you; you have offended a God Who died transfixed upon a Cross for your salvation; you have offended a God Who let His Side be broken through by a spear for love of you; you have offended a God Who chose to be buried in a tomb; you have offended a God Who rose again to life, and sits at the right hand of the Father, to give Paradise to you; you have offended Jesus Christ your Redeemer, your Master, your Life, the Physician of your soul; you have offended a God Who hath tried hard by infinite kindness to get loved by you; you have offended a God Who seeks no recompense for so many benefits, Out only to be loved in return by you, and obeyed by you; you have offended a God Who seeks after your love in order to make you happy in this life, and, oh, how happy in the next! You have offended a God Who loves you as the pupil of His eye. My soul, my soul, you have done ill-----and you could bear to do so! What harm had your God done to you? Tell me why you have offended Him. Begin now at least to lament your sins, and to love God.

Oh, if I had always loved and served that God Who has loved me more than His own life! My love, my life, my salvation, my hope! I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart; I detest my sins more than any sort of affliction. I will confess my sins, and I wish never again to offend Thee, O my dear Redeemer!

Prayer before Confession

O most loving Trinity, and most worthy of all love, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, my God, I adore Thee. Behold this wretched creature at Thy feet, who desires to make his peace with Thee by means of a good Confession. But since, O my God, without Thy help I can do nothing but evil, I beseech of Thee, by the bowels of Thy compassion, to grant me light, that I may recollect all my sins; make me to perceive the hideousness and the enormity of sin, so that I may abhor and detest it with all my heart. O my Jesus, Fountain of pity, I draw near to Thee that Thou mayest wash and cleanse me of my filth. O Sun of justice, illuminate this poor blind creature. O Divine Physician, heal this poor sick man. O infinite Love, inflame this soul with Thy love, so that it may break down and dissolve in tears of grief. And may this my confession be such that I may now in earnest change my life, and never again find myself separated from Thee, my God my hope, my love, the salvation, life, and peace of my poor soul!

**Prayer after Confession **

Dear Jesus, be Thou forever blessed, for having by Thy pardon freed me from Hell, and replaced me in my inheritance of Paradise. Infinite Goodness, I thank Thee. But, O my God, I am capable of betraying Thee more than ever, and worse than Judas: I cannot trust to myself. Help, help me with Thy grace; hold Thy hands above me; help me in my temptations, and, oh, far rather take away my life than let me again offend Thee!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.