Looking for a new Bible

I’m considering purchasing a new Bible as I have been reading more and more and am unsure about some of the commentary in my current Bible (Harper Collins Study Bible NRSV). As I research the contributors, I am finding that many of them are Presbyterian or other Protestant denominations, though seem to be highly regarded as Bible historians.

Does anyone know if there is an NRSV-CE Study Bible out there? I haven’t found much in my Google searches. I know that Ignatius Press has recently published the Didache Bible in RSV translation, but was hoping to find something in NRSV as that is the translation used in the daily readings of the Mass here in Canada.

I guess a Study Bible isn’t completely necessary if a good study guide can be recommended.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter

Since you brought it up, never be overly concerned with the religious believes of good, sound, academic biblical scholars. One of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI’s favorites was Martin Hengel, who also was a Lutheran minister.

Not aware of any. Ignatius study bible is based off RSV-CE2, Catholic Study Bible is based off NABRE. There is also a study edition of the NJB that is still available but these are the only “Catholic” ones that I know of.

I have read comments that the Harper Collins and New Oxford Annotated are good but they are more “ecumenical” as you say.

I would echo what Neofight said about good scholarship.

All Harper Collins NRSV Catholic Editions are listed at nrsv.net/harper/all-catholic-bibles/. I purchased the Go Anywhere Compact NRSV and have been enjoying it quite a bit. It is not a study Bible.

New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha is one of the most widely used Bibles in academia. global.oup.com/academic/product/the-new-oxford-annotated-bible-with-apocrypha-9780195289602?lang=en&cc=us. It comes in hardcover and leather as well. I think this is the best you are going to get. It is quite good.

Have a look at Tim’s Catholic Bibles blog. catholicbiblesblog.com/. He might have some options for you.

-Tim-

catholicbiblesblog.com/2015/01/review-of-didache-bible-ignatius-bible.html

The Didache Bible is worth the purchase for the commentary notes alone! They are based upon the CCC and are wonderful! Reading the Old Testament you see all the verses that the early Church Fathers saw as prefiguring Christ, his Church and or the sacraments in the New Testament. Add the RSV-2CE translation and you have a great Catholic study Bible!

Here is an example of the commentary notes from The Didache Bible:

Psalm 33

This hymn of praise tells of God’s glory reflected in his creation. God is the Lord of history and thus exercises his providence over human affairs. His lordship is articulated again in the verses about his dominion over the stormy sea. Rough waters are a symbol of chaos and evil, so God’s control over the seas bears witness to his omnipotence. (Cf. St. John Paul II, General Audience, August 8, 2001)

By the word…of his mouth: In this verse some of the Church Fathers interpeted “word” and “breath” as indicative of the Son and the Holy Spirit. St. Irenaeus used this psalm as an example of how all three Persons of the Blessed Trinity are equally involved and resposible in the creation of the universe as is inferred earlier in the Old Testament. Elsewhere in Scripture we find references to the divine Persons of the Trinity, as in the “breath” in the creation narrative in Genesis and the prominence of the “Word” in the prologue of John’s Gospel. The Church prays this psalm at Mass on the Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity, Year B. (CCC 292, 316, 703)

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.