Looking for a quote by Ignatius of Loyola

Recently, I’ve been trying to fight the good fight against secularism and evil in our society. Suprisingly, however, I’ve come under assault even from fellow Catholics (how tricky the Evil One is.) They don’t think I should be doing the things I’m doing and tell me to “just pray” or “let the Holy Spirit take care of it.” Somewhere along the line I heard of a quote by St. Ignatius of Loyola where he said something to this effect: Work/Fight as though everything depends on you while all along recognizing that eveything you accomplished depended on God. Do any of you know this quote verbatim? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

JSmitty,

I don’t know where that quote comes from. It seems that it is often attrributed to St. Augustine. See: en.wikiquote.org/wiki/St._Augustine. You’ll find it in the list as “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”

That help at all?
VC

Hmmm. More data.

See therealpresence.org/archives/Saints/Saints_019.htm, where Fr. Hardon assigns at least the thought to St. Peter Canisius who is agreeing with St. Ignatius! (Do a word find for Ignatius to find it in the article.)

Developing. . . .

Found another one. Here Fr. Hardon calls it St. Ignatius’s motto:

therealpresence.org/archives/Commandments/Commandments_003.htm
Do a search word search for “Ignatius” or “motto”.

That’s weird, I searched for the quote after I found it on the above link and many sources attribute it to Augustine. So who actually said this: “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”?

I don’t think we know.

:frowning:

It’s okay, maybe someone out there does. Here’s another one I’ve been looking for. One of the saints described Purgatory as having a pain more painful than any earthly pain as well as a joy more joyful than any earthly joy. Does anyone know who said this and what exactly was said? :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.