Looking for a scripture

Have you ever tried to look for a Scripture but couldn’t find it, yet you are positive that it exists? I hate this, and it is akin to having the name of a song on the tip of your tongue. Anyway, I know the Bible hints at this in other places IE. Romans 13, Matt. 22, etc. But where does Jesus explicitly state “Live according to the laws of the land in which you live.” Some people have told me that it does not exist in the Gospel, but I remember reading it somewhere in the Gospel. Any help would be appriciated in locating this. God Bless.
-CatholicMarsh

Matthew 22:21and Mark 12:17 may be what you are looking for. Its quite possible that Christ saying " Render therefor to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s" could be interpreted to read that "giving unto Caesar…while it refers to “tribute”…that being so ordered by Caesar’s laws…means that you have to live by “the laws of the land you live in”…

I don’t consider myself a “Bible Scholar”…and will not offer interpretation to anyone…the above is just an “opinion”. :wink:

I am not familar with anything like what you are talking about. But here is a good word search tool that you can use
bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi

Hi Catholic,

What you are probably looking for is not in the Gospels but in 1Peter 2, 13ff:

13 Be subject to every human institution for the Lord’s sake, whether it be to the king as supreme 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the approval of those who do good. 15 For it is the will of God that by doing good you may silence the ignorance of foolish people. 16 Be free, yet without using freedom as a pretext for evil, but as slaves of God. 17 Give honor to all, love the community, fear God, honor the king.

New American Bible
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
3211 4th Street, N.E., Washington, DC 20017-1194 (202) 541-3000November 11, 2002 Copyright © by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

Matthew 17

24After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax came to Peter and asked, "Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?“
25"Yes, he does,” he replied.
When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. “What do you think, Simon?” he asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own sons or from others?”

26"From others," Peter answered.

“Then the sons are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."

Luke 2:52
And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Thank you folks for your help. I think it is implied that Christ meant “Obey the law” we must pay our taxes and obey just civil government. However, there are times when we must not obey the government if it advocates that we act in a manner unbecoming of the Gospel. The taxation issue really begs the question in that it raises the question of if there is any time when we may not pay our taxes if they are outrageous or tyrannical. I think in these cases we have the duty to obey our consciences, but we must be willing to accept the consequences of our actions. I believe in civil disobedience against unjust laws but its a thin line. Christ said to Pilate, “My Kingdom is not of this world, if it were so my followers would rise up against you.” I am curious what you folks think about the apparent dissonance between our roles as citizens of our particular country and our role as citizens of the kingdom. God Bless

Who do you mean “you folks”?

It’s really hard to parse out our support for or our opposition to a policy of the government. The examples abound. A generation ago it was the Viet Nam war. Today, it’s the Iraq war.

Embedded in those issues is whether we like the government lying to us, which it did in a first class manner in both wars. It lied to us about Hurricane Katrina, social security reform, medicare part D prescription drug programs, etc. The government, in this case the Supreme Court, has lied about abortion since 1973. The government is lying about the rights of detainees in Cuba.

The senators lie about campaign reform and about the way influence is peddled in Washington. etc. etc.

If you live in this country, what is the alternative for you as a citizen?

Well, I’ll tell you one thing. We need a national referendum. The constitution vests all legislative authority in Congress, and we need to pull back on that. We need a chance to vote on issues directly, not just indirectly by supporting one candidate or slate of candidates.

This is power that the founding fathers explicitly did NOT want the people to have, for just the wild results that it may produce. But, I still think that the PEOPLE should have the right to vote on issues directly, twice a year, to circumvent the logjams in Congress.

How do we do this? I’m not quite sure, but I’d say this should be done outside the three existing branches of government. If a national referendum was enacted directly by the people, then the last stop is the president’s desk, for his / her signature. Then, too, the SC gets into the act down the road, as with any legislation.

Paul also mentions obedience to government officials in Romans.

Rom 13:1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
Rom 13:2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
Rom 13:4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
Rom 13:5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.
Rom 13:6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
Rom 13:7 Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.
Rom 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

from the NASB

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.