Looking for a Sign

Is it wrong to ask God for a sign? I don't doubt that God exists. I have been a believer all my life. I am not having a crisis of faith. In fact, things are going pretty well. I have my health, an 8 month old daughter, another baby on the way (10 weeks), a loving wife, and a job. My boss is allowing me to move home to Florida after working in Georgia for 7 years, which makes me very happy. I wish I was clear of a few debts, but other than that my life is good.

I guess I'm looking for a good punch in the gut. Something to reaffirm my beliefs. I'm not overly big on dream interpretation, but I know dreams can have a meaning (i.e. Joseph's interpretation of Pharoah's dreams in Genesis). I constantly go to sleep at night hoping that when I wake, I will have had a divine message sent to me. Again, I am not asking God for proof of his existence. I am not putting him to the test. He just made me very oblivious to things. I am sure He is talking to me, but I am shutting it out. Both times before my wife came up pregnant, she dreamed an angel told her. I know that sounds weird, but it is true. She told me the dreams and then sure enough she missed her next period.

Am I wrong in looking for a sign? I don't want to be a Doubting Thomas... but I envy his opportunity to touch Jesus.

Sam

[quote="spcchap, post:1, topic:182747"]
Is Am I wrong in looking for a sign? I don't want to be a Doubting Thomas... but I envy his opportunity to touch Jesus.

Sam

[/quote]

to touch Jesus, go to communion. but yes I understand your take on Thomas. he was the doubter, and not even their for Jesus' first appearance, yet he, not any of the other so-called "believing" apostles were invited to touch the wounds of Jesus. I think you have touched the issue, that the doubters or others in trouble in some way in their relationship with Jesus will actually be granted more spiritual favors or consolation--not because they are holier than others, but because they need them more than others.

What you truly need, Jesus will indeed give you in prayer as he promises. Catch is that he, not you (or I) knows what is needed. Look for him in the ordinary places, your daily prayer, the sacraments, the scripture without looking for some out-of-the-ordinary sign, lest you miss his call to you when it comes.

It's ok if you're having doubts. Some of the greatest saints have had massive doubts about God and their course of life. The key is to have FAITH and follow Christ through the darkness. Try getting a copy of St. Faustina's diary about Divine Mercy. She speaks of having so many moments where she doubted. It'll truly help you.

Is it wrong to ask God for a sign? I don't doubt that God exists. I have been a believer all my life. I am not having a crisis of faith. In fact, things are going pretty well. I have my health, an 8 month old daughter, another baby on the way (10 weeks), a loving wife, and a job. My boss is allowing me to move home to Florida after working in Georgia for 7 years, which makes me very happy. I wish I was clear of a few debts, but other than that my life is good.

I guess I'm looking for a good punch in the gut. Something to reaffirm my beliefs. I'm not overly big on dream interpretation, but I know dreams can have a meaning (i.e. Joseph's interpretation of Pharoah's dreams in Genesis). I constantly go to sleep at night hoping that when I wake, I will have had a divine message sent to me. Again, I am not asking God for proof of his existence. I am not putting him to the test. He just made me very oblivious to things. I am sure He is talking to me, but I am shutting it out. Both times before my wife came up pregnant, she dreamed an angel told her. I know that sounds weird, but it is true. She told me the dreams and then sure enough she missed her next period.

Am I wrong in looking for a sign? I don't want to be a Doubting Thomas... but I envy his opportunity to touch Jesus.

Sam

[/quote]

Just remember the other words that come with that brother.
"MORE.. Blessed are those who have NOT seen and yet believe"
Peace
Godbless
littleone

spcchap…would you recognize them?Your wife receiving the Angel visits about your children is a sign for both of you…being able to move back home at a time when you are looking for God sending you a sign -is one…God speaks to us in dreams all the time-but not usually with thunder and lightning bolts…perhaps me seeing your question and giving you this link stores.lulu.com/GodsGallery -is your sign…hope this helps…God Bless

Sam

[/quote]

It's not wrong, I do it often. Just don't expect a reply that will be obvious. I wish I would be visited as Saint Faustina was, but never happens. At least not that I recognize either.

Pray for me, and I will pray for you. :)

What are you looking for a sign of???

Are you looking for a sign that God exists?
Are you looking for a sign of His love for you?

Please, open your eyes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.