Looking for a Song about helping the poor and needy

I am looking for a song about helping the poor and needy to use with a short slide presentation for teens on reaching out to help others. Any ideas? Would be helpful if the song is available on itunes for download. Contemporary Christian music might work best with the teens. Thanks!

I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for… but I can suggest a few:

[LIST]
*]Hands and Feet - Audio Adrenaline
*]Does Anybody Hear Her - Casting Crowns
*]Hero - Superchic[k]
[/LIST]

As I said, it depends what you’re looking for exactly (Hero and Does Anybody Hear Her are more about reaching out to people locally, while Hands and Feet is about helping people in general by doing what God calls you to do), but one of them could probably work. They’re all on YouTube if you want to preview them.
Oh, and I’m a teenager, and I like all 3 of them… if that helps at all. :slight_smile:

this was awhile back, but I used “Another Day in Paradise” by Phil Collins.

There is an old song, back in the day something like…

“When I was hungry you gave me to eat…now welcome into the home of the Father”…
that was back in the 60’s/early 70’s

Justin Mathews’ Confessing Between the Lines has a great song called Lovers of Truth.

It is probably better for Eastern Catholics because of its references to starting a Mercy House and “American saints like Herman and John” but if you are compiling a list of songs that inspire teens to help the poor and needy, it would be good to add.

The World/Inferno Friendship Society, Friend to the Friendless.

Here’s the first third:

*I’m not above drinking alone
But no good ever comes of it,
Unless you count me talking to you now –
So, have you been hurt?
Did you hurt someone?
Did you get all crashed down upon?
Me, I’m a friend to the friendless
Not that I chose it; and if I had,
Well then who knows?
But that one guy on the train,
All talking to himself
***, he’s talking to me!
He’s saying
’At school they taught me a prayer for money,
A prayer for **** jobs right till I die
Never a prayer for people, the brokenhearted, the lonely’

That doesn’t look like an inspiring song for Christian teens.

Try listening to it. There’s more, and the tone really makes it.

Alcohol and cussing can’t be hidden with a good tone.

Since when have Catholics been Prohibitionists? As for the cursing, there is a time and a place, and certainly many of those times and places come when one’s at the end of the rope.

I personally like the Lennon and McCartney song “Eleanor Rigby.” I was a child when I first heard it, and it made a major impression on me. Obviously it’s not overtly Christian, but the idea of helping those in need is there.

There is a great song called “Lonely Voices” that IS Christian. Very 60s feeling. Here is a link to the lyrics:

geocities.com/Heartland/5761/lonelyvs.txt

One of the most powerful songs was written by Keith Green, “Asleep in the Light.” It is very hard to listen to this song and walk away unconcerned for the poor, both the physical and spiritual poor. Here’s a link to the words:

lyricsfreak.com/k/keith+green/asleep+in+the+light_20077341.html

Another very good Keith Green song is “To Obey is Better than Sacrifice.” A link: lyricsdownload.com/keith-green-to-obey-is-better-than-sacrifice-lyrics.html

I suppose you wonder why Keith Green wrote so many songs about the poor and needy. Back when he was alive, a “Simple Lifestyle” movement swept across evangelical Protestantism. It happened during the year my husband and I got married, and it heavily influenced our attitudes towards materialism and helping the poor. People like Ron Sider were writing books condemning materialism. The movement didn’t last long (people don’t want to hear that they should give to the poor, they want to hear that they’re entitled to riches and success). But while it lasted, some really good stuff happened, including these songs from Keith Green.

Good King Wenceslas looked out, on the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even;
Brightly shone the moon that night, tho’ the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight, gath’ring winter fuel.
“Hither, page, and stand by me, if thou know’st it, telling,
Yonder peasant, who is he? Where and what his dwelling?”
“Sire, he lives a good league hence, underneath the mountain;
Right against the forest fence, by Saint Agnes’ fountain.”
"Bring me flesh, and bring me wine, bring me pine logs hither:
Thou and I will see him dine, when we bear them thither."
Page and monarch, forth they went, forth they went together;
Through the rude wind’s wild lament and the bitter weather. (or “…winter weather.”)
“Sire, the night is darker now, and the winds blow stronger; (or “…wind blows…”)
Fails my heart, I know not how, I can go no longer.” (or “…can not go longer.”)
“Mark my footsteps, my good page. Treadst thou in them boldly: (or “Tread now…”)
Thou shalt find the winter’s rage freeze thy blood less coldly.” (or “Thou should find…”)
In his master’s steps he trod, where the snow lay dinted;
Heat was in the very sod which the saint had printed.
Therefore, Christian men, be sure, wealth or rank possessing,
Ye who now will bless the poor, shall yourselves find blessing.

The lyrics are in the public domain.

Since we’re talking about teenagers. It isn’t the time or place to encourage drinking or to be cussing giving a presentation at Church to teens.

There is a great duet on a Catholic Christmas cd from Curtis Stephan that speaks to remembering the less fortunate in the midst of our holiday celebrations.

“Someone is Waiting” was written by Jesse Manibusan who sings the duet with Curtis. I know that Christmas season ended today, but the song is great.

spiritandsong.com/musicondemand/songs/67534

Caedman’s Call has a TON of fantastic songs of this sort, off their “Share the Well” album.

I’m willing to bet that Fr Stan Fortuna has a couple of songs of this nature, as he works with the poor in the South Bronx.

My pers favorite song of this stripe may or may not work musically for teens, but it’s “Isaiah 58” by John Michael Talbot and Terry Talbot, off of “No Longer Strangers.” I encourage you to seek that song out and discern if it works. Lyrically, it’s a gut-buster.

Some friends of mine have a band called Blackthorn and they have a song called “Not in My Backyard” about that.

somebody here probably knows the group, but the refrain is
If we are the Body why aren’t His hands reaching, why is His love not showing?

If We Are the Body by Casting Crowns :thumbsup:

Thumbs sideways for me. It’s not about helping the poor and needy–it’s against being cliquish in youth groups.

I don’t know if you’re still looking for a song… But if you are, I came across a nice one. “We Are One Body” by Dana International:

Refrain:
We are one body, one body in Christ;
and we do not stand alone.
We are one body, one body in Christ;
and he came that we might have life.

1. When you eat my body and you drink my blood,
    I will live in you and you will live in my love.
    When you eat my body and you drink my blood,
    I will live in you and you will live in my love.
    2. Can you hear them crying, can you feel their pain?
    Will you feed my hungry, will you help my lame?
    See the unborn baby, the forgotten one,
    they are not forsaken, they are not unloved.
  2. I am the Way, the Truth, the Life, I am the Final Sacrifice,
    I am the Way, the Truth, the Life;
    he who believes in me will have eternal life.
    I am the Way, the Truth, the Life, I am the Final Sacrifice,
    I am the Way, the Truth, the Life;
    he who believes in me will have eternal life.
    (to Verse 4)
  3. I have come, your Savior, that you might have life,
    through the tears and sorrow, through the toils and strife.
    Listen when I call you, for I know your need,
    come to me, your shepherd, for my flock I feed.
  4. At the name of Jesus every knee shall bend;
    Jesus is the Lord and he will come again.
    At the name of Jesus every knee shall bend;
    Jesus is the Lord and he will come again.
  5. On the rock of Peter, see my Church I build.
    Come receive my spirit, with my gifts be filled.
    For you are my body, you’re my hands and feet.
    Speak my word of life to everyone you meet.

You can hear it on YouTube: ca.youtube.com/watch?v=lqfn75wgfYA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.