looking for a song

Is there a hymn based off John 1:1-18thish (in the beginning the word was with God…) that is more or less a word-for-word reading of the text set to music? I looked at the links from blueletter bible and cyberhymnal and have not come up with what Im looking for

I tried to google the verse in different ways and didn’t find anything…so if it is on your heart or in your head, I would suggest that you write it :smiley:

I just may do that.

Brain,

I think GIA at giamusic.com/home.cfm has an index of sacred music that is searchable by first lines or lyrics.

HTH!
c

Josquin des Pres, one of the very greatest of Renaissance composers if not the greatest, wrote a motet “In principio erat Verbum.” There might be others but I do not know of them. In any case, this would be quite beyond the capabilities of even a pretty good parish choir, even where such exists anywhere anymore. The Catholic Cathedral of Westminster in London has a choir that could perform it --think at that level.

If you are literally looking for a hymn with this text, good luck. Even if I could find one, given the state of modern Catholic hymnody, I probably would not want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.