Looking for answers

I am a 53 yr old female who grew up in a “cult-like” denomination that taught strongly against the Catholic Church. I came out of that denomination approx 20 yrs ago with many other friends, quite a few who have went to the Catholic Church. I am still a wandering soul in the denominational world. I’m born again and have been baptized in the baptist church. But I’m still needing “something”. I’ve listened to and read after numerous pastors and teachers. How do I know who is right and who is not? I pray but never seem to hear God and I know I need guidance from Him not humans really. I don’t know anything about the Catholic Church but my friends who have joined really seem contented compared to my ever-increasing anxiety. I’m disabled, soon to have back and or hip replacement surgery so I’m not able to be outside of my home much at this time. This has caused more anxiety because I’m not attending church. Can you help me? I don’t have a clue where to start.

May I be one of the first to wish you a warm welcome to CAF and to answers to the Catholic faith. Please feel free to ask any questions you feel need clarification or better understanding with. I’m pretty sure you can’t ask a question that hasn’t been asked and answered before. Take your time and try to not get overwhelmed with learning it all in one day. Allow the Holy Spirit to work and you just may find “true peace” within Holy Mother Church. It sure doesn’t hurt to ask.

Peace and God bless you on your journey!!!

Since you will not be going outside much after your surgeries I would suggest downloading the podcast of catholic answers. I have learn more in the few months of listening to catholic answers and I have been 12 years of Catholic school. You’ll find it entertaining and insightful. This would be my first step. I would also recommend books by Scott Hahn and Steve ray.:wink:

hi,
i am catholic/ previously, i loved to go to the first baptist church, southern convention/ i was raised in the church of God/ my grandfather was a minister in the church of God/in early grade school-my school was presbyterian.

the great comparison catholic and protestant-i see in hindsight is that when people gather, even near shoulder to
the commonality-is what souls may experience, well as thoughts form from the soul…there is praise of God, to express blessings to God, to be prompted to say -Alleluia/ to have thanksgiving–adoration, love of God…to pray for others (intercessory prayers);these can be outside of church as well…to share in church is wonderful…

other common denominators of belief are …simply, Christ was born, Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again…

so in your heart’s desire-something is missing…as i read you post…

it is difficult to advise, as your challenges in life-as per my experiences, too; make me to ask myself-“is life worth living…” (you didn’t say that but in my case-i have once pondered life)…what has helped in is the version of prayer called contemplative prayer-this is deeper meditation-to listen to a still-small voice; and that phrase is from when Elijah was in the wilderness-he did not see God in the cataclysmic events of nature, rather God spoke to him in the most intimate terms/ the catholic church has sacraments-do these offer a more intimate experience with God, per awareness of the trinity? yes indeed…
(i am only being persuasive that God loves first)
to conclude, catholics are not without disagreemeent, as evidenced by the thread on ‘conditional love verses unconditional love…’
i read the threads arguements…and had to choose…so i say with interest to answer your inquiry…that the catholic church seems to have lot of rules, by the outsider’s observation; but in fact, the tremendous awareness of the unconditional love of Jesus Christ is something to experience that reaches into the recesses of the heart and let you know that God’s love is so real, to easily communicate, or just sit and let it happen; this to save despite all pain and hopelessness…
appropriate here on the forum is to ask for prayers on a thread to your heart’s desire…
hope that helps…catholics are excellent at intercessory prayer , and God will answer…
(PS there are videos on youtube-of an old TV show…“Life is Worth living,” by Father Fulton Sheen-if this interests you?)

Welcome to CAF!

As you develop a plan to cut through your chaos, ask away! There will be no shortage of answers. So be genuinely cautious in the forums, even Catholics can be wrong about Catholicism. It’s never bad to double check answers.

There is a lot of information on this website as a whole, as well as the forums.

There are Vatican websites, the USCCB (US Conference of Catholic Bishops), and other sources as well.

Specific to teaching, you’ll find good info in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Again, welcome and peace be with you!

Welcome to CAF & the forums. I’ m sure you will find my answers to your questions in the site. Navigate around & have fun growing in faith.

Howdy, may God Bless you on your journey.

I’d like to offer you some online resources:

Online Daily Mass:
catholictv.com/shows/daily-mass

Online Catholic Prayers:
catholic.org/prayers/

EWTN Videos:
ewtn.com/multimedia/video.asp?servertime=201402191405

Online Catholic Prayer Group:
theprayergroup.org/

The Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosay:
rosary-center.org/nroscon.htm

Call your local Catholic Church and see if one of the Priests can visit you or one of the Deacons, due to your medical conditions.

Don’t ever give up hope, don’t ever stop praying.

God Bless,

Hello and welcome! I was a member of a cult myself and wondered round differing denominations for a couple of years so you are not alone. It is very difficult especially when there are 30,000 denominations all teaching various beliefs and doctrines.

You have certainly come to the right place to learn about Catholicism, the main page of catholic answers has some wonderful articles and everyone here is very friendly and willing to answer questions.

I’d attended a catholic school as a child so it’s not entirely new to me…but my best advice is take your time, start with the basics. Catholicism is very specific on what it teaches (something I like about it)…nothing is left to interpretation. I’m currently reading the catechism of the Catholic Church which is very helpful.

Don’t be afraid to go back to basics…at the moment what is it you believe in? Ask yourself questions…for me I believed in infant baptism, my evangelical church completely opposed it so that answered that question.

Don’t be afraid to ask any of us for help too! :slight_smile:

Hello!!!

I am new to learning about this faith as well. I am here for you if you need someone to talk to! :smiley:

I agree with Fritz. Since you will be home a lot while you are yearning and searching, do yourself a huge favor and do two things, neither of which take that much effort and no commitment while gaining tons of insight, understanding, and direction.

Those two things are–

1-Catholic Answers radio/podcasts.
2- The Journey Home on EWTN.

Go to this website’s radio page and listen to Jimmy Akin’s open forums as well as any shows featuring Patrick Madrid. Also very helpful are the ‘Open Forum For Non Catholics’ shows with Tim Staples and Steve Ray.

If you have EWTN on your TV set your recorder for every single episode of The Journey Home. Or you can watch the show on the EWTN website.

These will give you so much comfort and insight you will be surprised at your own progress and comfort after a couple months.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

Thank you all so very much for your thoughts, insights, and websites to help me. I want more than anything in life to know a deep personal relationship with God. The nearest Catholic Church is 20 miles from my home, which would not be a problem once I get back on my feet and back to some resemblance to a normal life. Please keep me in your prayers as I search for whatever it is that I’m needing to fill an emptiness that I need filled. I guess my biggest problem is Who is right and Who is wrong because there are so many who all claim to be right, and with their differing theologies I know they can’t all be. I need to know that I’M right in my own heart. Can you really KNOW FOR SURE WITHOUT ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER??

Yes,

Once you empty yourself and let Christ fill you - you will know.

Why do you say " obedience to Peter"? He was just a HUMAN man, a disciple who loved and followed Jesus

You are so right! Peter was human. Also a coward as he denied Jesus three times. And yet Jesus saw true leadership characteristics in him. Gave to him the power to bind and loose. Gave him the keys to the kingdom, etc. It is very tough for someone coming in from Protestantism to accept so keep reading on this site.

You mentioned that you will be recovering from surgery. On EWTN, there is a show called “The Journey Home” which has testimony from former Protestants on their discoveries. New episodes are Monday at 8 PM, reruns every day at 1 PM. Also consider reading Karl Keating’s “Fundementalism vs Catholism”. It will answer a bunch of questions!

If you are not sure what you believe, maybe try looking at the writings of the Early Church Fathers. You can find there views just by googling Early Church Fathers on XXXX. When I was looking I found that Catholic Answers gave Bible Versus as well as Quotes from multiple early Church Fathers backing up every teaching that the Church has.

May I suggest that when in doubt look at the people closest to the disciples to know what they thought. While the Bible itself is not always super specific on every teaching, you will find early church fathers who state it little and a lot of times in no uncertain terms.

Hi Baby girl 1021. Welcome to the forums.

I’m not really sure I’ve heard it put quite that way before, but if you were to look at that literally, I suppose one would say:

1)He was given the “keys to the kingdom” - a term that has substantial meaning in the context of the scriptures
2)Jesus instructed him individually the “feed His sheep/lambs”
3)Peter’s leadership role is seen often as his sermons are given a certain primacy according to Scripture.
4)Human history demonstrates that he was succeeded in his position by Linus (who is mentioned in 2 Tim 4) and an unbroken chain of others to the present day with Francis as the 266th Bishop of Rome.

There are other examples but you hit the nail on the head when you mention “obedience”. It’s true that we are called to be obedient in word and deed as a way of discipleship. Obedience to the bishop and Church’s teachings is liberating. The Deposit of Faith (or “capitol T” traditions) has not changed since the apostolic age. Many early Christians gave their lives (martyrdom) to preserve and protect these truths through the ages.

Scott Hahn has a ton of free webcasts that you can listen to online. They have really helped me in my practical and spiritual growth, as well as learning how to relate to my inlaws (who are Protestant.) as Scott was once a Presbyterian pastor.

salvationhistory.com/studies/courses/audio

Welcome!

How Old is Your Church?

How Old is Your Church?
AUTHOR UNKNOWN

If you are a Lutheran, your religion was founded by Martin Luther, an ex-monk of the Catholic Church, in the year 1517.

If you belong to the Church of England, your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in the year 1534 because the Pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to remarry.

If you are a Presbyterian, your religion was founded by John Knox in Scotland in the year 1560.

If you are a Protestant Episcopalian, your religion was an offshoot of the Church of England founded by Samuel Seabury in the American colonies in the 17th century.

If you are a Congregationalist, your religion was originated by Robert Brown in Holland in 1582.

If you are a Methodist, your religion was launched by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1744.

If you are a Unitarian, Theophilus Lindley founded your church in London in 1774.

If you are a Mormon (Latter Day Saints), Joseph Smith started your religion in Palmyra, N.Y., in 1829.

If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1608.

If you are of the Dutch Reformed church, you recognize Michaelis Jones as founder, because he originated your religion in New York in 1628.

If you are a member of the Churches of Christ your church began near the beginning of the 19th century in New England. Abner Jones, Barton Stone and Alexander Campbell were some of the most well known originators of your religion.

If you worship with the Salvation Army, your sect began with William Booth in London in 1865.

If you are a Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year in which your religion was born and to Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy as its founder.

If you belong to one of the religious organizations known as “Church of the Nazarene,” “Pentecostal Gospel,” “Holiness Church,” “Pilgrim Holiness Church,” “Jehovah’s Witnesses,” your religion is one of the hundreds of new sects founded by men within the past century.

If you are Roman Catholic, you know that your religion was founded in the year 33 by Jesus Christ the Son of God, and it is still the same Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.