Looking for books by Christians who accept evolution

Hi.

I’m a Christian who has gone from being a young earth creationist to an old earth creationist. I guess the next step is Theistic evolution. I know there are a lot of Christians who accept evolution and Christianity, and I am looking for books that deal with this subject. I’m not looking for Atheistic Evolution or Young Earth Fundamentalism.

If there are any scientists, doctors, or biologists that can help me I would like a good intro book to evolution that doesn’t bash God and then a book on how it coincides with Christianity.

Thanks,

Psalm89

Welcome to the wonderful world of science. Here are a few obvious starters for books, and web resources, on evolution and Christianity:

Catholic Ken Miller, Professor of Biology at the University of Colorado has written Finding Darwin’s God about how Evolution and Christianity are compatible.

Protestant Glenn Morton has published a couple of books, see on his website. You may also find some of the essays on Glenn’s website helpful. One essay gives his own story of his move from YEC to evolution: Why I left Young-earth Creationism.

Theodosius Dobzhansky was Russian Orthodox. I am not aware of any of his books that cover specifically what you want, but you might find his essay Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution useful.

There is also www.talkorigins.org, which is an immense web resource, full of useful information. For starters try God and Evolution.

For an introduction to Evolution I would suggest you avoid Richard Dawkins, he writes well but tends to be very up-front with his atheism, which I suspect would just annoy you. For a good basis in evolution I would suggest What Evolution Is by Ernst Meyr. It is not the easiest introduction, but it repays many repeat readings.

Don’t forget to read Darwin as well. Some of what he says has been superseded, but he did get a remarkable amount correct given that he knew nothing about genetics, let alone DNA.

rossum

[quote=rossum]Welcome to the wonderful world of science. Here are a few obvious starters for books, and web resources, on evolution and Christianity:
rossum
[/quote]

Thanks for the info rossum, but I’m not new to the world of science I’ve just never investigated evolutionary biology.

I remember months ago you were struggling with Christianity/Buddhism and the truths. I take it you are now a devout Buddhist?

I’ve posted my list before. The three best recent books are

Perspectives on an Evolving Creation (2003) edited by Keith Miller, essays by evangelical Christians

Coming to Peace with Science: Bridging the Worlds Between Faith and Biology (2004) by Darrel Falk, biologist at a Nazarene college

And the debate book Darwinism Defeated? (1999) by Denis Lamoureux and Phillip Johnson (dealing mainly with intelligent design vs. theistic evolution or “evolutionary creation”, with essays from “both sides”)

All still published, and available online or your local bookstore. Many of the authors in these books were at one time young-earthers, or sympathetic with that position. These books contain plenty of scientific evidence (geology, biology, paleontology, astronomy, etc) and deal with many of the theological objections (Adam/Eve, original sin, death before sin, etc). I would recommend Kenneth Miller’s Finding Darwin’s God as well, but his book is mainly straight science, there is very little theology in the book, except one chapter answering folks like atheist Richard Dawkins. Still a very good book.

If you want to buy only ONE book, buy the Keith Miller book of essays. Wonderful and lots of material in there. If you aren’t convinced evolution is true after that book, nothing will convince you. :smiley:

Another one I hope to find is Darwin’s Forgotten Defenders by Livingstone which I see referred to often. If you noticed, these are all books BY evangelical Protestants FOR evangelicals / fundamentalists. Its my understanding this has never been a Catholic (or Orthodox) issue. The only reason Catholics would be “young earthers” today is from the influence of these young-earth evangelicals / fundamentalists (from the SdA Macready Price, to Henry Morris, to Duane Gish forward), not because the Church has ever endorsed young-earthism (since the 20th century at least).

If you want a young-earth Catholic book, try the Gerard Keane book Creation Rediscovered, I don’t have it yet, but I’m sure from what I seen from Kolbe Center it is filled with all kinds of scientific errors, even if his Catholic theology may be OK. My goal is to be honest with both science and theology, not ignore or distort one or the other.

Of course don’t forget Cardinal Ratzinger’s (Benedict XVI) own commentary on Genesis 1-3, excerpts here

Phil P

This isn’t going to be super-helpful, but I know that C.S. Lewis believed in theistic evolution and wrote a chapter on it in … one of his books. I really can’t remember which one.

[quote=Psalm89]Thanks for the info rossum, but I’m not new to the world of science I’ve just never investigated evolutionary biology.
[/quote]

Good. Then my recommendation for the Ernst Meyr book is even stronger.

I remember months ago you were struggling with Christianity/Buddhism and the truths. I take it you are now a devout Buddhist?

I have indeed been discussing Buddhism in these forums, though I have been Buddhist for over 35 years now. Not as devout as I should be though; my knees hurt when I meditate for too long!

I was brought up Christian, turned into an atheist adolescent for a time, but that did not satisfy me. After looking at other religions, including another look at Christianity, I ended up with Buddhism as the most suitable religion to deliver what I was looking for. I have never regretted my choice.

I wish you well on your journey into Theistic Evolution.

rossum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.