Looking for books on Vatican II

I’m looking for good books on Vatican II. Obviously I need to start with the actual documents, but what next?

[quote=y2daddy]I’m looking for good books on Vatican II. Obviously I need to start with the actual documents, but what next?
[/quote]

So am I. All the books I have seen (and will not recommend) are either from the Radical Traditionalist or the Radical Modernist viewpoint. Neither of them are credible from my viewpoint.

PF

How about “What Went Wrong With Vatican II” by McInerny

Not a big book, but well done in that it expresses the documents, and corrects a lot of the erroneous statements slamming VatII

(slaps himself in the head)

I only heard Alan Schreck talk about his new book on Vatican II at the Defending The Faith conference- how could I forget that?

The kind of book I would like to see is a history of the Council, and then a history of the next decade as the documents began to be implemented. The story is still being written but that would be a start.

[quote=y2daddy]I’m looking for good books on Vatican II. Obviously I need to start with the actual documents, but what next?
[/quote]

Here are some books of the documents of VII and post VII.

Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees, Declarations (Vatican Council II) (Paperback)

Vatican Council II: The Conciliar & Post Conciliar Documents (Paperback)

Vatican Council II: More Post Conciliar Documents (Vatican Collection, V. 2) (Paperback)

I am not sure how good these books are. I recently got one of them(the first) but haven’t gotten the chance to read it yet.

[quote=jimmy]Here are some books of the documents of VII and post VII.

Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees, Declarations (Vatican Council II) (Paperback)

Vatican Council II: The Conciliar & Post Conciliar Documents (Paperback)

Vatican Council II: More Post Conciliar Documents (Vatican Collection, V. 2) (Paperback)

[/quote]

Have the last two in that list. Good for the decrees, but not much more.

[quote=y2daddy](slaps himself in the head)

I only heard Alan Schreck talk about his new book on Vatican II at the Defending The Faith conference- how could I forget that?

The kind of book I would like to see is a history of the Council, and then a history of the next decade as the documents began to be implemented. The story is still being written but that would be a start.
[/quote]

I forgot about that book. I heard him on…ummm…oh yeah, Catholic Answers Live talking about the book before it was out. I think this is the book:Vatican II: The Crisis and the Promise by Alan Schreck

I need to put it on my “to-buy” list.

PF

for a contemporay history of the council try " Vatican Council II" by Xavier Rynne. Be warned!! The author used a pen name to hide his identity, was from the progressive faction, and it shows. If he discusses the views of someone he agrees with, that person is described as " a thinking person" or in similar glowing terms. Those with whom he does not agree are not so favorably described. if you can wade through that kind of prejudice, the book gives a blow by blow history of the event.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.