Looking for Catholic books on disability/illness

Can anyone recommend any Catholic books based on pain management, disability or illness available on Amazon Kindle? I can’t find anything from a Catholic perspective.
Thank you

amazon.com/Blessed-Our-Brokenness-Finding-Challenges/dp/1593251114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481318887&sr=8-1&keywords=blessed+by+our+brokenness

I haven’t read it personally, it has good reviews though, and is available on Kindle.

I may edit this response with more ideas, because my mouse is recharging, so I have to use tab to navigate which is pretty difficult.

Good luck! :o

There aren’t many. We are told to accept our crosses and offer them up for others, but we aren’t given much on how exactly to do that when you are suffering day after day year after year without end. I think a lot of persons suffering so much don’t have the energy or ability to write a book about it. :shrug:I’m looking forward to reading any answers you receive as I’m struggling with this myself. :slight_smile: :console: :hug1:

Thank you. Yes I was VERY surprised that there are not more Catholic books out there for people with disabilities. It is very upsetting. There are some really good Protestant books but I want a Catholic perspective. As for writing one I could do it because it’s been suggested that I do and I am considering doing just that. Anyway I did find one book that you might be interested in it’s called Saints for the sick. It’s a really good book. It doesn’t tell you how to deal with illness but it does give you a comprehensive list of stories of Saints that have dealt with illnesses. It even provides you with a list of Saints that you can pray to for specific illnesses. You can find the book here
amazon.com/dp/B004Q3RK5U/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_4

Am also looking forward to responses for I know a number of people who are sick.

**Let Nothing Disturb You
Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.

Patience,
Obtains all things,
Whoever has God
Lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.

Santa Teresa de Jesús
(Santa Teresa de Ávila)

Luz María

Here are a couple of links to different books that address suffering. They are all Catholic.

By the way, illness is also addressed. It’s addressed in “The Kiss from the Cross,” and also in the prayer book, too.

You can get all of them at Amazon if you like, or take a look at them and their descriptions there if you would like to:

The first one is called, “The Kiss from the Cross,” and is by Ronda De Sola Chervin.

It is about Saints for different situations of suffering.

amazon.com/Kiss-Cross-Saints-Every-Suffering/dp/0892838493

The next one addresses suffering too, and is by Fr. Benedict Groeschel.

It’s called, “Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn’t Make Sense.”

amazon.com/Arise-Darkness-What-Doesnt-Sense/dp/0898705258/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481335877&sr=1-4&keywords=fr.+benedict+groeschel

The third one is a prayer book called, “Prayers for Urgent Occasions.”

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Prayers+for+Urgent+Occasions

Hi Aydan,

You might want to also consider signing up with a Catholic website that offers a “Saint of the Day” feature, where you’ll get a daily e-mail in your inbox about a saint every day.

There are different ones out there, so you may want to do a search and see what appeals to you, if you would be interested in signing up for something like this.

This way, you’ll get to learn about the lives of the various saints. Many of them struggled with either physical or emotional issues.

For example, St. Theresa of Avila suffered from debilitating headaches and stomach aches.

From my understanding, I believe that it is thought that in today’s field of medicine, she would have had migraine headaches and stomach ulcers in her time.

So apparently I can’t edit my previous post, but I now have the appropriate mobility, so here’s what I know of as of now that is written from a Catholic perspective:

Blessed by Our Brokenness: Finding Peace in the Challenges of Aging and Illness Paperback – October 1, 2007
amazon.com/Blessed-Our-Brokenness-Finding-Challenges/dp/1593251114
This deals directly with those who are suffering due to age or illness. I haven’t read this, but it seems like a good one.

Hope and Help for Living With Illness Paperback – October 9, 2012
by Karen Zielinski O.S.F (Author), Richard Rohr O.F.M. (Foreword)
amazon.com/Living-Illness-Karen-Zielinski-O-S-F/dp/1616364688
Written by a Sister who was diagnosed with MS in 1975, covers a wide range of topics and is worth a look.

Surviving Depression: A Catholic Approach Kindle Edition
by Kathryn J. Hermes FSP (Author)
amazon.com/Surviving-Depression-Kathryn-Hermes-FSP-ebook/dp/B00AEYPN0E
Obviously more aimed at depression than injuries or illness, and is written to people who have depression as opposed to caregivers or those close to them.

Wisdom for Living the Final Season Paperback – June 1, 2011
by Kathy Kalina (Author)
amazon.com/Wisdom-Living-Final-Season-Kalina/dp/0819883247
This one is a good and comforting little book from a woman who was a hospice care nurse. She offers a lot of comforting stories, though it’s addressed to people who are indeed dying, I still found it a good little read.

Midwife for Souls: Spiritual Care for the Dying Revised ed. Edition
by Kathy Kalina (Author)
amazon.com/Midwife-Souls-Spiritual-Care-Dying/dp/0819848565
Same author as Wisdom for the Final Season, but is addressed to family and caregivers instead of those who are dying themselves.

Caring for the Dying With the Help of Your Catholic Faith Paperback – March 14, 2008
by Elizabeth Scalia (Author)
amazon.com/Caring-Dying-Help-Catholic-Faith/dp/1592762395
This is short, well written, with prayers and information for those caring for the dying.

Pray with Me Still: Rosary Meditations and Spiritual Support for Persons with Alzheimer’s, Their Caregivers, and Loved Ones Paperback – March 1, 2006
amazon.com/Pray-Still-Meditations-Alzheimers-Caregivers/dp/1594710775
This one doesn’t appear to have a kindle version and this one is more targeted for Alzheimers, of course. Offers some advice, and meditations. A good read for those it is pertinent to though.

Hi cjb,

Thanks for taking the time to post the books that you’ve read, and to post their links, too. :slight_smile:

Yeah, we are unable to go back and edit our posts after 20 minutes.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :slight_smile:

thanks. this looks like a good book.

I bought Blessed by Our Brokenness I really like it. I’m finding it very helpful. I have signed up for a saint of the day application. I pray the divine office. I also have the book I mentioned above Saints for the sick which has many stories of Saints who struggled with illness. Thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions. God bless!

God bless you, too, Aydan. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome for the suggestions! :slight_smile:

Jean Vanier, “From brokenness to Community.” He founded homes where people with disabilities and healthy people worked and lived together and learned from it,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.