Looking for Catholic Church Suggestions for Dallas, TX.

We are visiting some family members in north Texas. Like my wife and I, they are in the process of converting to the Catholic Church. Unlike us, however, they are having a hard time finding a church in their area that they feel comfortable being a part of. Traditional music and a strong homily are both very important to them. We have visited some churches with them, but for one reason or another, they want to keep searching for a church which offers more of what is important to them and what they were accustomed to at their old Episcopal Church. Do any forum members from the Dallas or Plano area have any church suggestions to offer?

As a side note, it seems that the Catholic congregations in Texas we have visited don’t sing. At our church in Oregon, everyone sings the hymns together, but it is not that way in Texas apparently. Any ideas why this is the case?

Thank you and Happy New Year!

they want to keep searching for a church which offers more of what is important to them and what they were accustomed to at their old Episcopal Church. Do any forum members from the Dallas or Plano area have any church suggestions to offer?

This may be made to order:
stmarythevirgin.org/musiclist.htm

This is one of the very few Roman Catholic Parishes in the USA that function under the “Anglican Use Privilege” of the Pope.

This whole congregation converted to the Catholc Church with the leadership of Fr Alan Hawkins from England. He converted along with them.

The Mass is at 10:30 and always High Mass.
They use the Catholic-approved Book of Common Prayer (I think that’s the name).
You can sing to your heart’s content. Some of the prayers are also sung in Latin
They have an excellent organist and choir, and soloists.

The price for all this is:
You have to get on I-30 West to Arlington - Cooper St exit.
That’s about 14 miles from dntown Dallas.
You can greatly shortcut if you are able to use the G. Bush Turnpike (tollway) from N. Dallas, then exit on to 183 West then 360 south. etc.
This Church is a magnet for converted traditional (hi-church) Episcopalians.
You must get there about 15min early to get a parking place.
In any case, it would be a great gift to your folks to surpise them by taking them there without disclosing the details.
Also, there is a coffee/donut…sometimes full breakfast after Mass to get acquainted. Fr normally attends.
God Bless

ps.
this is their Home Site:
stmarythevirgin.org/

Also they refer to it as:
The Book of Divine Worship

Ok, I would definately reccomend Mater Dei Latin Mass Community. It is a Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (www.fssp.com) ") and our priest is Fr. Chris Hathaway. Here is the info.

Sunday Mass schedule
Carmelite Sisters Chapel
600 Flowers Ave.
Dallas, Texas
9:30 High Mass
11:30 Low Mass

Monday-Saturday Schedule
St. Thomas Aquinas Church
6306 Kenwood Ave.
Dallas, Texas
6:30 a.m. Mass
Saturday: 8:00 a.m Mass

The Caremelite chapel is off of Loop 12 at Jefferson St. It is about one mile east of the exit. You sound like you are the Latin-Mass type, plus, the FSSP is entirely under the authority of the Pope and the Catholic Diocease of Dallas. (Bishop Grahman)

• Joe

[quote=TNT]This may be made to order:
stmarythevirgin.org/musiclist.htm

This is one of the very few Roman Catholic Parishes in the USA that function under the “Anglican Use Privilege” of the Pope.

This whole congregation converted to the Catholc Church with the leadership of Fr Alan Hawkins from England. He converted along with them.

The Mass is at 10:30 and always High Mass.
They use the Catholic-approved Book of Common Prayer (I think that’s the name).
You can sing to your heart’s content. Some of the prayers are also sung in Latin
They have an excellent organist and choir, and soloists.

The price for all this is:
You have to get on I-30 West to Arlington - Cooper St exit.
That’s about 14 miles from dntown Dallas.
You can greatly shortcut if you are able to use the G. Bush Turnpike (tollway) from N. Dallas, then exit on to 183 West then 360 south. etc.
This Church is a magnet for converted traditional (hi-church) Episcopalians.
You must get there about 15min early to get a parking place.
In any case, it would be a great gift to your folks to surpise them by taking them there without disclosing the details.
Also, there is a coffee/donut…sometimes full breakfast after Mass to get acquainted. Fr normally attends.
God Bless
[/quote]

Thank you for everyone’s suggestions! I risked mentioning St. Mary the Virgin, and it turns out that this church is at the top of their list. They have already attended, but the problem is that it is over an hour away. That may be where they end up being the most comfortable, though… I will also suggest the Latin Mass for them to consider.

pps:
Make sure that Fr Hawkins will be saying the Mass on the day you go. He goes on pilgrimages about 3 times / yr.

If Fr Joe Wilson from NY substitutes you are also in good hands as he is an Ep convert.

[quote=Writer]Thank you … but the problem is that it is over an hour away.
[/quote]

I found out in a hurry, that is the price of being a devout Catholic in N. Texas.
But, so for, we are not being arrested…so far.
Good Luck with your folks.

Let us know what you decide. If possible, we could meet in person…
“Marines” and I are nearby.

You also have an Eastern Catholic option in St Basil the Great Catholic church. If you are thinking of joining the family you might as well meet the relatives!

+T+

When I am visiting Dallas (about thrice a year) I usually attend Holy Trinity 3826 Gilbert AV, in Dallas. If you take the Tollway it isn’t too far from Plano. Call for Mass times (214) 526-8555 (I only remember the 5:30 vigil and the 8 AM Sunday).

Not everyone sings, but those that do sing enthusiastically.
When I lived in Oregon more people sang at mass than here in Texas, but the songs were so dreary.

If you live on the West Side of Plano, or far North Dallas, I recommend driving to St. Rita’s. From West Plano, taking the Dallas North Tollway will get you to St. Rita’s in 15 minutes.

All Saints is another good parish in far north Dallas.

East Plano, I would check St. Mark’s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.