Looking for fool proof, quick,easy,healthy,meal ideas

Having suffered a weekend of exhaustion, and being unable to cook DH has had to take over with meal preperation. Take-away or oven chips(fries) with gravy is ok, but not a suitable diet long-term for growing children and a recovering post-natal mum. Junk makes me feel sluggish and ratty.
I am looking for utterly easy husband-friendly yet healthy meal ideas that use very few ingredients but are not heat-in-the microwave fare, or use any more than a few pans at a time.
We have a slow cooker, but no microwave.
Really if I could get about a week or so’s worth of recipes that would be good.

So far I have one or two ideas:

Slow cooked jacket potatoes.
Pasta with ready-made sauce/condensed soup and veg or pre-packed salad.
Shop bought pizza bases to top with tomato paste/grated cheese/sliced veggies.

Am also going to buy a gadget which you put in with your eggs to tell you what they are like inside-i.e. soft-boiled, hard-boiled etc.

We would prefer something like “bung 2 chopped carrots into a pan”, rather than accurate measures, and nothing so complicated as “while such and such is cooking do so and so”, as this requires doing two things at once.:smiley:

My favorite meal

slow cooker
pot roast potatoes (not pealed) carrots put on for 3-5 hours mmmm good. If the roast is frozen, you do not need to add water. I usually put worchester(sp) sauce on it.

ground beef, onions, shredded bread soaked in Worchester(sp) sauce a couple of eggs. Put into slow cooker 2-3 hrs covered with ketchup. Potatoes and other veggies can be added.

Do internet search.

I personally like pasta (a thicker noodle) with stewed tomatoes (instead of sauce), lightly sauteed vegetables (bell peppers, onion, spinach, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, broccoli, celery) (or frozen vegetables), a very light layer of cheese, and if you’d like, throw in some sausage (bulk, not linked) or chicken (either must obviously be cooked prior to throwing them into the dish). Healthy, filling, and light. It takes under a half an hour and the veggies can be cut and stored a few days prior so you don’t have to do everything all at once.

Also, tomato, cucumber, onion salad (with frest mozzerella) with garlic bread can be quite filling.

Kabobs are also quick, easy and healthy. You can have chicken, bell peppers and pineapple on each skewer and voila, you have a yummy healthy meal.

Also, pork chops with some seasoning and apple cider (or sauce), apple slices and onions wrapped individually and baked or grilled is also pretty easy and very difficult to butcher. Your pork will be moist and I have yet to know a child who didn’t like the apple flavoring.

BBQ Chicken in a slow cooker-

Place an oven stuffer roaster in the slow cooker w/ 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce. Let cook all day. Serve w/ rice or pasta, salad and veggie.

Sometimes I shred the meat, add more BBQ sauce, and serve it on rolls. This meal makes the house smell so good!

Raviloi in a slow cooker-

Layer frozen raviloi and a jar of pasta sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on low all day. Serve w/ bread, veggie and salad.

Chili

Buy the pre seasoned can of beans and sauce. Add a can of tomatoes and cooked ground beef. Simmer in slow cooker all day. Serve over rice w/ fritos, veggie and salad.

Taco style lentils & rice: Pour 6 cups water in a pot and heat on high. Rinse a bag of lentils. Sort out any bad ones. Add lentils to water. When water is boiling add 2 1/2 cups white rice, 4-6 tablespoon bulk taco seasoning. You can also throw in 2-3 chicken bullion cubes, if desired. Turn heat to lowest setting, cover and cook 20 minutes. Stir when complete. Serve in a bowl topped with cheese, diced tomatoes, diced green onions, sour cream (anything you’d put on a taco). Serve with a small salad.

Grilled chicken over salad: Dice some grilled chicken and serve over a salad. Easy as can be.

Tilapia filets: Top thawed filets with lemon pepper. Bake at 375 until done. Serve with white rice and veggie of choice.

Hope this helps!

Salsa chicken: Pour a little salsa in slow cooker and place chicken pieces (I use frozen chicken breasts) on top of salsa. Cover chicken with more salsa and I usually add a little water so I have a “broth” when it’s finished. Cook 6-8 hours on low (if the chicken isn’t frozen it may not take as long, I’m not sure). I serve this over rice with veggies on the side.

I usually use medium salsa. I’ve tried mild but it just didn’t have enough of a “kick”.

**Italian chicken: **Same as above but use Italian salad dressing instead of Salsa. I usually serve this with mashed potatoes instead of rice.

Most of my recipes are in storage, but I do have some advice. Kraft foods has a free magazine you can subscribe to going forward that has lots of yummy, easy recipes in it. I think it is called Food and Family.

Here’s a recipe I’ve tried since DH and I have been trying to eat more healthy items. I got it off of the Mayo Clinic’s website.

Southwestern Chicken Pasta

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked rigatoni
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each 4 ounces, cut into cubes
1/4 cup salsa
1 1/2 cups canned unsalted tomato sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
1/4 cup shredded CoJack (Colby and Monterey Jack) cheese

Directions

Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.

Spray a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, saute the chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salsa, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black beans and corn. Stir thoroughly and cook until heated through. Add the pasta and gently toss to mix evenly.

Divide the pasta between individual plates. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.

Dude, you got the most fool-proof piece of kitchen equipment in your possession already: the Crock Pot! I love my crock pot becuase it’s simple and practically fool-proof and the food ALWAYS comes out great! Do an internet search for crock pot meals, there are a ton!

One of my favorite things is to take a whole pork butt roast (bone in or boneless, doesn’t matter), season liberally with salt and pepper, cook on low for hours (I usually like to go 10-12 hours, longer the better!) and then, remove the roast, shred it, mix with BBQ sauce and serve on buns! Voila, shredded pork sandwiches! Or mix the pork with taco seasoning and make shredded pork tacos. And the great thing is that it’s a cheap piece of meat, tastes wonderful and you will have lots of leftovers for many more sandwiches.

Just one of my favs in the ol’ crock pot! :smiley:

Do you have a grill? We LIVE off ours…

Standard meals for us are grilled meat, steamed veggies, and a whole grain starch…
I usually grill chicken, pork chops, salmon, etc… with a little olive oil and some garlic salt…
I also cook a lot of Uncle Ben’s Wild rice (easy to cook!) and it’s healthy too!
And I’m really fond of steamed veggies… although you mentioned you don’t have a microwave… you can still cook those on the stove. Frozen veggies are easy because there’s nothing to cut or chop!

I multi-task and usually cook all at once… start the rice in the pot, put the meat on the grill, start the veggies, turn the meat, stir the rice… then in 30 minutes you’re done! :thumbsup:

Your idea for a home-made pizza (with a ready-cooked crust) is a good idea! I know my husband loves making that one! And it’s so much less greasy when you make it yourself out of mostly veggies! :thumbsup:

Ok, so I guess I better put one of my own ideas here instead of just stealing one of yours :stuck_out_tongue:

How about a Southwestern Salad?

You make this in individual bowls. Start by layering some romaine lettuce on the bottom of all the bowls. Then add a layer of canned & rinsed black beans. Then add a layer of canned & rinsed yellow corn. Then add some salsa and top it with cheese. Then drizzle some ranch dressing over that and sprinkle crunched up corn chips on the very top. It takes about 5 minutes to make, is filling, and tastes pretty good if you like Mexican food :slight_smile: We got that recipe from the previously-mentioned Food & Family magazine from Kraft.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.