Looking for help with the book of Genesis and Exodus

I am in a long conversation with my older brother about the bible. He says it is filled with tall tales. Yeah, he is agnostic. He singled out the talking snake, Noah’s ark, and the crossing of the red sea. I am no scripture scholar, but I do know these “stories” have truth in them. Can you of you heavy hitters give me some history on these points? Something for him to ponder with him agnostic views…

From the Catechism

How to read the account of the fall

390 The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man.264 Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.265

289 Among all the Scriptural texts about creation, the first three chapters of Genesis occupy a unique place. From a literary standpoint these texts may have had diverse sources. The inspired authors have placed them at the beginning of Scripture to express in their solemn language the truths of creation - its origin and its end in God, its order and goodness, the vocation of man, and finally the drama of sin and the hope of salvation. Read in the light of Christ, within the unity of Sacred Scripture and in the living Tradition of the Church, these texts remain the principal source for catechesis on the mysteries of the “beginning”: creation, fall, and promise of salvation.

Much could be said on each thing…do not let him take a shot gun approach with his questions…

This may help you…

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=666

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=667

Website says not in yet…but sometime this month.

also there is scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=163

Do notice the words --“truths in creation” in CCC 289.

Don’t let the old chestnut of the figurative serpent throw you off. The difficult truth – and it is true – is the one concerning the reality of the two sole parents of the human species.

For those who are interested in Catholic teaching, this is a link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Blessings,
granny

These two websites contain TV ads about Catholicism. The first is from one of the Dioceses which is using them. The second is general information.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The bible is not a book, think of the bible as a library. Library’s have many sections such as history, poetry, mythology, political opinion etc. The bible is a collection of books from a wide variety of literary genres.

I highly recommend my online commentary on Gen 1-3 litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Commentary+on+Genesis+by+John+Litteral

And here are tons of Catholic Commentaries on the Bible litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Bible+Commentaries-Fathers+and+Doctors

danandirma

You could also put in key words and, selecting “2009”, and “Scripture”, get previous answers from the EWTN Q&A files at:
ewtn.com/vexperts/search.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.