Looking for my faith, lost

hey, im new here and i am a former catholic who lost my faith around 4 months ago.

there was not a reason to why i lost it, i used my brain and logic and science to come to the conclusion that christianity and god were false.

i studied up on this and seen the gospels were written many years after jesus’ death and how jesus is eerily similar to pagan gods.

also science has shown that the brain controls every thought, there is no need for a soul and the theory of an afterlife just seems ridiculous false hope, 70000 people die a day, it seems much more logical for their existance to end, we are only humans our life is not more important than a sheep or a panda.

top scientists have proven god doesnt need to exist and darwinism created all living things. the facts are undeniable.

however, i dont want to be an atheist, i want to believe in jesus and an afterlife but it doesnt seem logical or real at all and as karl marx says “religion is the opium of the masses”

this makes me sad

Go to confession, will you?

Read this:

saintsarefamily.blogspot.com/
saintsbookscatechisms.blogspot.com/

Read the Diary of St Faustina, it will heal your soul. Like it healed mine, I was in a miserable condition, spiritually, faith-wise speaking, then I stumbled across this diary online. And it brought me to the faith and changed my life upside down.

It is available online and for free
saintsworks.net/books/St.%20Faustina%20Kowalska%20-%20Diary.pdf

Hear mother angelica, she will bring you back to faith
youtube.com/results?search_query=mother+angelica&aq=f

You can download all her talks using a free program called atube catcher
download.cnet.com/aTube-Catcher/3000-2071_4-10969422.html

I once wanted to become an atheist too… because I was scandalized by reading that europe is 20% atheists (which are a big number)

But don’t forget the fact that they use to be 80% catholic. Italy is 90% catholics. That’s huge. They, too, are looking for their faith.

Don’t give up. Read the works of the saints. They will bring you back to faith about heaven, hell, and Jesus.

I pray for you:gopray2:

May the merciful Jesus bless you

PS: I now go to confession every week, not bad for someone who wanted to be an atheist. Jesus’ mercy is unfathomable, and it is infinite. He is love and mercy itself. And he loves you. But we must not misuse his mercy.

Pray the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet

Have the divine mercy image venerated in your house. Pray before it. Kiss the feet of Jesus and say, Jesus have mercy on me a sinner.

When I wanted to be an atheist, I was suicidal as well, and I put my head near the closet, almost at the point of despair, and I say, Jesus have mercy on me a sinner, as many times as I like.

And that prayer save my soul.

Jesus have mercy on us, sinners!

Say this prayer with faith, it will give you the grace of conversion, “O blood and water, which gushed forth from the Sacred Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in You.”

I can relate as I have also been struggling with my Catholic Faith recently, however I am nowhere near Atheism!!

Stay on this website and the forum section, it has helped my faith greatly. Stay away from Atheist texts and read up on the Saints, Miracles ad positively Christian/Catholic stuff!!

God Bless

Hear this, and you will think twice about atheism. You will feel God’s presence and love, and you will be touched by his love

1 More than Anything.mp3
2 Glorious God.mp3
3 I will rejoice.mp3
4 We Give You Glory.mp3
5 No condemnation.mp3
6 I worship YOU Almighty God.mp3
7 Shout to the Lord.mp3
8 Jesus we enthrone You.mp3

Your poor grammar should indicate to you that your method of study may not be the best to arrive at a legitimate conclusion.

LalemantPolyphonic Channel have a beautiful sacred music that will make you cry

It is in the Sacred and Beautiful Documentary.

They keep the traditional latin rite of the mass, and sacred music. That will bring you to the faith

If you want, there are the free podcasts of these videos here

youtube.com/watch?v=ZWt5y301BSY

Very beautiful

Ye holy men and women saints of God, pray for us

The Saints are alive in heaven, so is Jesus. They live for all eternity, and happy for all eternity

Mother Mary lives too, and she loves you.

Jesus loves you

All the saints love you

Mother mary, pray for jryan.

The Incorruptibles on Youtube. Incorrupt bodies of the saints
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=561979

The bodies are almost intact some for 500-600 years

Also, miracles of the saints, such as blood of St. Januarius that is still liquifying after 600 years

miraclesofthesaints.com/
miraclesofthechurch.com/

And most importantly, eucharistic miracles where eucharist becomes flesh and blood
eucharisticmiracles.blogspot.com/

Not sure if this is genuine or a put-on.

Assuming genuine, I went through a phase like that as a young adult, it passed quickly.

As for the Gospels having been written after Jesus’ death, how could they have been written at any other time?

You don’t know enough about the Catholic faith.Its quite easy to deny the existence of God because so many people do so.If you are really after the truth then spend some time trying to find it rather than listening to popular opinion .Talk to people who know their faith.Don’t go to people who don’t know anything about Catholism.

wow I am impressed
your brain and logic are superior to the combined intellectual and spiritual capacity of the entire Church for 2000 years, including her founder Jesus Christ, and including some of her humbler members such as Augustine–who spent the first part of his life stumbling over his own brain and logic and was probably one of the finest minds ever to come out of the human race. Or Thomas Aquinas, who at the end of a long life that produced the largest, most comprehensive and most truthful written expositions of the faith, put his pen down, declared that what he had written out of his own brain and logic was as a grain of sand or a drop of water on the seashore or ocean, and spent the next months until his death in silent prayer and contemplation of the majesty of God. Both of them are acknowledged geniuses among many the Church has produced.

but you of course are superior to all of them. congratulations, tell the nobel prize committee to get your award ready

why don’t you stop polishing your brain and logic and put your heart to good use.

go back to confession and the sacraments, and find what you say you want, Jesus Christ, and fall in love with him. You do this by getting to know him in the sacraments and most of all in his poor, whom you should seek out and serve with all your heart.

We are trying to save our souls not our fleshes in this earth, remember this since you were once Catholic:

(Matthew 10:28):
*“Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.**”

1 Corinthians 1:20-25

Where are the philosophers now? Where are the scribes? Where are any of our thinkers today? Do you not see now how God has shown up the foolishness of human wisdom? If it was God’s wisdom that human wisdom should not know God, it was because God wanted to save those who have faith through the foolishness of the message we preach. and so, while the Jews demand miracles and the Greeks look for wisdom, here we are preaching a crucified Christ; to the Jews an obstacle that they cannot get over, to the pagans madness, but to those who have been called, whether they are Jews or Greeks, a Christ who is the power and the wisdom of God. For God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.

:blessyou: **catholicm1, that was right on target… **

i have read alot of the work of atheists like dawkins and others, do they not have logic and a brain? the god delusion book is very convincing.

atheists seem to be everywhere, i was on google reading up on religion and one of the websites that came up was - there is no afterlife, this life is all we have

it really saddens me, are we not just a fluke of evolution ad die the same as an animal in the jungle? our dna is only one strand off a chimps

Thanks lol! It was taken right out of my Magnificat I recieved at the Papal Mass at Bellahouston Scotland last year where I was a communion steward!

The passage also helps me greatly when I doubt my faith.

Also… what ‘top scientists’ have ‘proved’ that God does not exist?

Dawkins and his agenda? Dismissed!

If Dawkins had such logic and such brains, he would not be where he is. Is he a greater thinker than Chesterton or Aquinas?

Dawkins book has been dismissed, he has been completely defeated in debates over his book. Many of which can easily be found with a google search.

and in debates about his book Dawkins himself said

a reasonably respectable case could be made for "a deistic god, a sort of god of the physicist, a god of somebody like Paul Davies, who devised the laws of physics, god the mathematician, god who put together the cosmos in the first place and then sat back and watched everything happen

If there is a case to be made, it is possible.

st thomas aquinas may have been a great thinker, but dawkins, stephen hawking and their atheist science team have modernn tools to make their mainds and science progress and show us why we exist. what about hawking, is he not one of the greatest ever minds? he said there is no heaven?

i want faith in jesus, but it will be hard when there is these intelligent atheists destroying christianity

[Greetings, to save space, I will place my comments in brackets and a red coloration.]

hey, im new here and i am a former catholic [there is a phrase, “once Catholic, always Catholic.” If you were baptized, I would advise mariafransisca’s advice and go to confession. Believe me, I was once an atheist, and so am plagued with doubts more times than I would like; Confession helps.] who lost my faith around 4 months ago.

there was not a reason to why i lost it, i used my brain and logic and science to come to the conclusion that christianity and god were false. [so, in a way, you chose it? Faith does not disappear on its own, one chooses to stop nurturing it and it atrophies. It is odd. Science and logic are what brought me *into the faith . . . ]

i studied up on this and seen the gospels were written many years after jesus’ death and how jesus is eerily similar to pagan gods. sure He is. Christianity is similar to every religion. Does that make it invalid? No. Here is the issue with seeing similarity with false religions in the true faith and deciding to reject the true faith: the Christ similar to these false gods because He is the fulfillment. If you truly study Catholic Christology, you will notice that where He is similar to a pagan god, He is of the similar attribute to an extreme - He takes the attributes seen as similar and transforms them into something the pagan god had no hope of achieving, because it was through Him that the creative minds which gave birth to the pagan gods were formed to represent their hopes. Christ is the fulfillment of those hopes.]

also science has shown that the brain controls every thought [what else is the brain for?], there is no need for a soul and the theory of an afterlife just seems ridiculous false hope, 70000 people die a day Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona eis requiem], it seems much more logical for their existance to end, we are only !] humans our life is not more important than a sheep or a panda. [Because sheep and panda have proven capabilities of reason and so can either save or destroy the planet at their collective whim, just like humans? You said you used reason; no creature BUT a human we can identify can use such reason. That is one of the aspects of the human soul: it is rational.]

top scientists have proven god doesnt need to exist ** and darwinism created all living things. [Catholics are free to believe that evolution formed the physical biology of the universe. I do, in fact, and so did Bl. Pope John Paul II and so does His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. There is evidence that if the theory were around then, even St. Augustine probably would agree.] the facts are undeniable.

however, i dont want to be an atheist [the answer is simple, stop being one.], i want to believe in jesus and an afterlife but it doesnt seem logical or real at all and as karl marx says “religion is the opium of the masses” [and you are using Marx’s words because he was correct about his system of economy? Marx is no authority on philosophy, because he is no philosopher.]

this makes me sad

Perhaps you should stop listening to scientists when asking philosophical questions? Don’t listen to every philosopher, either, for, in the words of Dr. Peter Kreeft, “Philosophers today certainly know science, but they don’t know philosophy.” God cannot be found by science, because He is outside the domain of science, which is physical reality. Does this mean that only physical reality exists? No. It just means we cannot prove or disprove that something else exists with the scientific method. There are limits to science. Use science freely, providing you are doing so morally, within its limits, but outside you HAVE GOT TO turn to philosophy. And I mean true philosophy, not the bunk that’s been pouring out in greater numbers since Descartes. Those ‘philosophers’ are part of the reason philosophy is not taken seriously any more - because their ‘philosophies’ and interpretations are so out of connect with reality the whole field has been dragged into a comical abyss in public opinion. I hope my comments help.

Sorry for the double post, but I was working on my last post and did not see this gem.

Hawking is no philosopher. When he steps out of the realm of physics, he is no longer an authority. To treat him with an authority he does not have is to commit a logical fallacy that would cause a near-instant defeat in an organized debate. Has anyone but a theologian told us why we exist? Science cannot answer a why question - that is philosophy’s domain. Science answers the how. History the when. Philosophy the why. Sociology the who. Geography the where. Life the what. Mathematics makes them all intelligible to each other. And without language (varied language being yet another aspect unique to humans) the study of all of these would be moot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.