Looking for new chicken crock pot recipes

I seem to make the same chicken breast crock pot recipes all the time. I just wanted to inquire on any new recipes that you would share with me. The easier the better. God Bless.

How about just cooking a whole chicken? Then you can take all of the meat off the carcass, and use it for a number of things.....sandwiches or wraps, quesadillas or enchiladas, tetrazini, etc. Then you have the bones to roast and make stock from too, for soup another day. Bonus!

Hello,
You should check out www.allrecipes.com This is a very good website for recipes.
Hope it helps!:thumbsup:

crockpot365.blogspot.com/

It is the best web site on earth!

Two super easy chicken crock pot recipes are Salsa chicken...put chicken pieces in crock pot and cover with salsa. I put in a little water, too, and cook on low for about 8 hours. This can even be done with frozen chicken. Italian chicken...same as above but use Italian salad dressing instead of salsa.

Both are easy and yummy!

You might also try chicken doused with cream of chicken soup and mix in a healthy dose of mozarella cheese. It's fat free and low calorie! Okay, maybe not. :p

I’ve got to start doing this! I’m a little intimidated by whole chickens, since for years all I’ve cooked are skinless, boneless breasts. Do you freeze the carcass and part of the meat after you take it off? How long does it keep?

In Christ,

Ellen

[quote="Joe_5859, post:6, topic:182318"]
You might also try chicken doused with cream of chicken soup and mix in a healthy dose of mozarella cheese. It's fat free and low calorie! Okay, maybe not. :p

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Psych!

I was believing you for a second there then was like "...wait a second...":confused:

In Christ,

Ellen

[quote="ALLGIRLS, post:7, topic:182318"]
I've got to start doing this! I'm a little intimidated by whole chickens, since for years all I've cooked are skinless, boneless breasts. Do you freeze the carcass and part of the meat after you take it off? How long does it keep?

In Christ,

Ellen

[/quote]

Cooking a whole chicken has got to be one of the easiest and laziest things I cook often. I don't use a crock because I enjoy crispy skin, but I roast them and it can't be easier. Can be as easy as just some butter or oil, salt and pepper on the skin, OR my fav, roasted garlic mashed into a paste and stuffed under the skin and curry rubbed into the skin.

Either way, all I do is roast them at 400 degrees until the legs move freely and juices run clear. Temp should be 160-65 in the breast if you're a thermometer person. Let rest for at least 10 min and you will have a juuuuucy chicken.

Yes, I get all the meat off, save for the little bits, and freeze the carcasses in large bags. When I have several I roast them off at 425 with some veg, just until browned, then it all goes into a huge stock pot with a TBSP of vinegar for 8 hours while I go about my day. Then, freeze the stock for later use. :thumbsup: I love this because I do a lot of soups and and and the chicken broths in cans without MSG are hard to come by AND expensive.

I agree. Plus, it seems I’d be wasting alot of the chicken since no one in my family (including myself!) likes the dark meat.

[quote="sharmin, post:10, topic:182318"]
I agree. Plus, it seems I'd be wasting alot of the chicken since no one in my family (including myself!) likes the dark meat.

[/quote]

Shread the meat (just use two forks), dark and white all mixed up together. Use that for Chicken Enchaladas, tacos or for BBQ on buns. No one will know the difference, except your pocketbook.

I second this! And allrecipes.com (also mentioned above) is good, as well - note the ingredient search (which lets you exclude things you don’t have on hand - I love that feature!), and don’t forget to sort results by ratings to get to the best stuff the fastest.

I don’t tend to do a lot of chicken in the crockpot for the first cooking - about the only thing is shredded BBQ chicken. But I’ll occasionally cook the carcass for chicken broth (it’s usually not worth the effort for me, though), and will cut up leftover chicken for crockpot soups. I often freeze cubed chicken or turkey leftovers and throw them into the crockpot with carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, boullion, garlic, pepper, and a few other spices (which vary depending on my mood) to make a soup . … or beans, spices, corn, bell peppers, onions, and garlic for turkey chili (dark meat would work great here - with all that chili powder, no one can tell it’s dark or light!).

I love the site www.recipezaar.com
its a whole community over there with message boards, ratings, reviews, and a search system that lets you sort through their thousands of recipes by ingredient or name, or method of cooking or a specific holiday or culture. (and more!) You can also post your favorite recipes, although I have to admit, its hard to find a recipe that isnt already posted there…in fact after discovering recipezaar, I have eliminated stacks of cookbooks from my collection just because it was so much easier to find it online rather than search through 20 different cook books wondering where it was I saw a specific recipe.

Don’t forget www.tastykitchen.com . It’s another cooking community associated with The Pioneer Woman, who also has some great chicken recipes on her site. She’s not much with the crock pot, though.

Betsy

How about BBQ Chicken Wings!

Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wings
Print
Type: Dinner, appetizerPrep Time: 15 mins Cooke Time: 4 hours Total Time: 4 hours 15 mins Serves: 30 wings
Ingredients
3 pounds chicken wings (16 wings)
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups any variety barbecue sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons yellow mustard or spicy mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco to taste, optional
Directions
Rinse chicken wings; pat dry.
Cut off and discard wing tips then cut each wing at the joint to make two sections. Sprinkle wing pieces with salt and pepper; place wings on an lightly oiled broiler pan.
Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 10 minutes on each side, or until chicken wings are nicely browned. Transfer chicken wings to crockpot.
In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce, honey, spicy mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. Pour sauce over chicken wings.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or on High 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Serve directly from slow cooker, keeping temperature on LOW. Makes about 30 chicken wings.

[quote="that_name, post:4, topic:182318"]
crockpot365.blogspot.com/

It is the best web site on earth!

[/quote]

Love it. In fact, I own the print cookbook. Another in fact, I am making one of her recipes for dinner this Monday. :thumbsup:

[quote="that_name, post:11, topic:182318"]
Shread the meat (just use two forks), dark and white all mixed up together. Use that for Chicken Enchaladas, tacos or for BBQ on buns. No one will know the difference, except your pocketbook.

[/quote]

Be careful doing this. If someone REALLY doesn't like dark meat they will know the difference. Also, if someone is counting calories or Weight Watcher's points, there is a difference between white and dark. I am just not a big fan of trying to slip in something someone doesn't like. :shrug:

Try this website: crockpot365.blogspot.com. I’ve tried several of her recipes and enjoyed most of them. She did kind of a Julia/Julie thing with her crockpot – if you haven’t seen that movie, you might not get the reference :smiley: She has a recipe for homemade roteisserie chicken that I use for soups and casseroles and salads. What I do is I make the whole chicken and then freeze it smaller portions – two cups usually since that’s what I’ll need to make an individual meal or something.

Edited to add: Just saw that someone else also suggested the same website – great minds think alike :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you live where fresh and easy markets are? They have some excellent simmer sauces, and I am sure they would work in crock pots. The Tikka Masala and Korma are my two favorites. Both mild versions of Indian curry dishes.

In my family, we haven't had the financial option of not liking dark meat. It's way cheaper, so that's what we eat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.