Looking for OT Bible Verse referencing prophet/mystic answering questions for village people

looking for OT Bible Verse referencing prophet/mystic answering questions for village people
through God.

Exodus 18:14-16 When Moses’ father-in-law saw all that he was doing for the people, he said, “What is this that you are doing for the people? Why do you sit alone, and all the people stand about you from morning till evening?” And Moses said to his father-in-law, “Because the people come to me to inquire of God; when they have a dispute, they come to me and I decide between a man and his neighbor, and I make them know the statutes of God and his decisions.”

1 Kings 22: 5-28 And Jehosh′aphat said to the king of Israel, “Inquire first for the word of the Lord.” Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said to them, “Shall I go to battle against Ra′moth-gil′ead, or shall I forbear?” And they said, “Go up; for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.” But Jehosh′aphat said, “Is there not here another prophet of the Lord of whom we may inquire?” And the king of Israel said to Jehosh′aphat, “There is yet one man by whom we may inquire of the Lord, Micai′ah the son of Imlah; but I hate him, for he never prophesies good concerning me, but evil.” …
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+kings+22&version=RSVCE

still looking for OT Bible Verse referencing prophet/mystic answering questions for village people
through God; Prophet/Mystic may be sitting by city gate…?

Does the verse read some thing like this?

Young man, there’s no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you’re in a new town
There’s no need to be unhappy.

Maybe that’s the wrong village people …

So far all wrong quotes:

Looking for a quote that supports a prophet/mystic helping Gods people in the city, perhaps sitting by the city gate, answering questions.

I know it exists, I’ve run across it before…and no its not Moses.

Either you know it or you dont–if your one of those kind of people that knows the bible inside,backwords, and forward. A concordance will not get you there.

This will be very tough, as I cannot find it, but remember it.

Would you be talking about Deborah? It does not quite line up, she is at a tree, rather than the gates and judges, rather than giving advice.

Judges 4 4-5 (RSVCE)

Now Deb′orah, a prophetess, the wife of Lap′pidoth, was judging Israel at that time. She used to sit under the palm of Deb′orah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of E′phraim; and the people of Israel came up to her for judgment.

Doing a quick Bible search on the word “gate” brought up the following:

**Proverbs 1: 20 et seq. **
20.Wisdom cries aloud in the street;
in the markets she raises her voice;
21 on the top of the walls she cries out;
at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
22 “How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
and fools hate knowledge? …
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+1&version=RSVCE

Proverbs 8:1 et. seq.

1. Does not wisdom call,
    does not understanding raise her voice?
    2 On the heights beside the way,
    in the paths she takes her stand;
    3 beside the gates in front of the town,
    at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
    4 “To you, O men, I call,
    and my cry is to the sons of men.
    5 O simple ones, learn prudence;
    O foolish men, pay attention.
    6 Hear, for I will speak noble things,
    and from my lips will come what is right; …
    biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+8&version=RSVCE

Jeremiah 19:2-3
2 and go out to the valley of the son of Hinnom at the entry of the Potsherd Gate, and proclaim there the words that I tell you. 3 You shall say, ‘Hear the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem. Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel,

Jeremiah 26
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+26&version=RSVCE

Wisdom 6:14
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Wisdom+6&version=RSVCE

That sure sounds like the one he’s looking for. :slight_smile:

No, not it

But thanks all for help.

So far no winners

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.