Looking for recipes-banana bread and others

Hi everyone! Kind of a strange post on this board, but I’m having DH’s sisters over this weekend for a holiday get together. This is a BIG step for all of us since for the most part, his sisters and nieces (nieces are my age) haven’t really been very receptive of me since we got married 8 yrs ago. ANYWAY… I’m trying to plan a really yummy menu of just heavy hors de vours (sp??) and non-alcoholic drinks. I would love if you would share your fave recipes with me so I could make them. Specifically- does anyone have a recipe for banana bread that uses mayo? I had one and lost it. I would love all of your ideas. thanks-twk

no I don’t mine is basically a muffin recipe from the box with bananas and nuts added (don’t use salted shortening or nuts because the mix is already salty enough). all I wanted to add is bisquick brand has a cookbook with quickie pies, quiches, dessert and main dish, and appetizer, depending on the size in which you bake them. the basic recipe is the cup of mix, with milk and so forth as directed on the box, poured over the filling and baked, so it then forms a “piecrust” on the bottom of the pan. it can be standard apple or other fruit pie filling, eggs and quiche ingredients, or main dish ingredients like chopped ham and cheese. everybody raves, it is nearly foolproof, and baked in muffin tins becomes individual servings. it would be worth a look on their website.

I have one without mayo that is REALLY good (when your 13-year-old son writes “overripe bananas” on your grocery list, you know it’s good!) If you like, I’ll post it!

why couldn’t you just replace the oil or melted butter in the standard recipe with the mayo (real not salad dressing) since it is basically a fat.

Never tried that… it might work, but here’s the original:

Banana Bread (makes 3 loaves)

1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
4 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts
2 tsp. baking soda
4 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 3 loaf pans. In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, oil, banana and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour and other dry ingredients until well-combined. Add dry ingredients to wet, mixing well. Pour into loaf pans to within an inch of the rim. Bake at 325 for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

I’m looking up some appetizer recipes and I’ll be back with those later!

Sorry, don’t have the banana nut bread with may recipe, but here is one of my favorite appetizers from back when I lived in Maryland:

Title: Hot Crab Dip

Description:
In Maryland this is served at just about any pot
luck or get together. Make sure you use nice
crab meat. I used backfin crab meat once,
and it was not nearly as good. You can eat
this with anything - sliced baguette, crackers,
even fritos.

Ingredients:
1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
3 8oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sour cream
1 tablepoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:
Mix all ingredients except crab meat and
cheddar. Add crab meat, stir carefully. Spoon
into a 1 qt baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30
minutes. Sprinkle cheddar over the top of the
dip and continue baking for another 15
minutes.

Two of my family’s favorites!

Oriental Barbecue Chicken Wings (or Drummies)

4 lbs. chicken wings (or drummies)
1 cup honey
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup regular barbecue sauce
salt, pepper and garlic granules (if desired)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange wings or drummies in a baking pan with 2-inch sides. Lightly season with salt, pepper and garlic. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, turning chicken pieces after 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Combine honey, soy sauce and barbecue sauce. Pour over chicken pieces. Cover pan with foil and return to oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, turn pieces to make sure they’re evenly coated, re-cover then return to oven for 20 more minutes. Remove from oven, turn pieces again. Remove foil and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes. You can prepare these ahead and freeze them. Thaw overnight and heat in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.

Spinach Fritters (makes 3 dozen)

2 10 oz. pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups herb or chicken-flavored packaged stuffing mix
1/2 cup chopped green onions
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted

Cook and drain spinach as directed on package; let cool. In a bowl, combine spinach, cheese, stuffing mix, and green onion; mix well. Stir in beaten eggs and melted butter until mixture is evenly moistened. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of the batter onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. You may add a 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts and/or 1/2 cup chopped green chile, if desired.

These have CYM Christmas party written ALL OVER them :slight_smile:

Thank you! Anything that gets KIDS to each spinach does!:thumbsup:

Here’s a great recipe for sweet potato muffins:

http://www.movinon.net/Recipes/SoupsBreads/Sweetpotatomuffins.htm

I don’t have a mayo banana bread recipe to share, but darn every time I see your title I start craving banana bread sooo much… I need to go to the supermarket some time this week, there better not be any banana bread in sight. I can keep myself from baking it, but if its already made and easy to get I am in trouble.

Cooks.com had this one:

SOUR CREAM BANANA BREAD
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. sifted flour
1/2 c. sour cream
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts
Cream mayonnaise, sugar, eggs, and bananas. Beat until well blended. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with sour cream to banana mixture. Stir in nuts. Put in 2 well greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees until done.

One of my favorite “fancy” orderves:

Scallops wrapped in bacon, secured with a toothpick, rolled in brown sugar, and then baked til the bacon is good and brown. YUM! My DH likes it with chicken livers instead of scallops, but I just can’t stomach that.

Also, I have a banana bread recipe that blows all others out of the water, mayo or not!.. :smiley: heheh I dare you to challenge me! :knight2: :smiley:

5 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. mashed very ripe bananas… about 3 large
1 3/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking POWDER
1/2 c. heavy cream (YUM!)
1/3 chopped nuts, optional

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom ONLY of 9 x 5 x 3 in. loaf pan with non -stick cooking spray.

2.) Beat butter with electric mixer or in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add sugars, beat well. Add egg, egg whites and vanilla; bead until well blended. Add mashed banana, beat on high 30 sec.

3.) Combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture ALTERNATELY WITH CREAM, ending with flour. This is an important step, do not change or skip it. It really affects the texture of the baked bread. Add nuts, mix well.

4.) Pour batter into prepared pan, bake until browned, and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hr, 15 min.
Cool bread in pan on wire rack about 10 mins. Remove from pan and cool completely. Although if you’re like me, you’ll be burning your mouth on it :smiley:

I’ve tried making this with half and half instead of cream, and although it was certainly edible, it really did not turn out as well. Regular milk was not a winner, either. I only make this as a treat, since have to actually go out and get cream to make it.

Rumaki (this is what Consecrated was talking about, they’re really good, and can be done in a number of different ways).

One year Puzzleannie suggested that tortellini served with toothpicks make great hors d’oeuvres, I really like that idea although I’ve yet to try it. You can get Buitoni tortellini in the refrigerator section of the grocery, those would make nice hors d’oeuvres with very little work.

A selection of cheese and crackers is a must, and don’t forget some fresh fruit. Little finger sandwiches with the crusts cut off are always nice, and petits fours are so pretty.

Whole water chestnuts wrapped in bacon are good. No need for sugar.

This sounds wonderful! I have a bunch of over-ripe bananas in my kitchen that I need to use. I am going to try this one ASAP.

For step 3, are you folding, mixing, or what? I want this to be as delicious as you say it is, so I want to make sure I do it right!

Want something spicy? Try splitting fresh jalapeno peppers lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and veins (do this under running water or wear gloves and DON’T touch your eyes afterwards!), fill with cream cheese, wrap half a strip of bacon around it (I par-cook mine, to get it extra-crispy!) and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes (make sure the peppers stay upright! Use crumpled aluminum foil to line the pan.) or run it under the broiler until the cheese bubbles and the bacon is crispy.

I also do green chile roll-ups. Spread softened cream cheese on a flour tortilla (warm the tortilla first so it’s easy to roll) to within a half-inch of the edge. Spread peeled, chopped green chilies (canned or frozen and thawed) over cream cheese. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Roll up tortilla tightly and cut roll into 3/4 inch pieces. You can add chopped onions and tomatoes if desired. Or used flavored cream cheese spread and add other veggies or even thin slices of ham or turkey.

www.tasteofhome.com has a lot of great recipes! Check it out if you have time!

I just remembered this super cute idea I saw on a morning news program a few years ago: Cream Cheese Penguins

Aren’t these hilarious?!??
http://images.allrecipes.com/site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/small/49367.jpg

Don’t forget the deviled eggs too!

I mix it on low in my Kitchen Aid, and add it like this: flour-cream-flour-cream-flour, without stopping the mixer, allowing each addition to mix mostly in before adding the next. If you’re mixing with a hand held mixer, I guess you would do it just the same?

You won’t be disappointed! :thumbsup:

double :doh2:
I forgot all about the water chestnuts… We wrap the bacon around the scallop or liver and a sliced canned water chestnut, and THEN roll in the brown sugar. I have a wicked sweet tooth, so I’m always looking for ways to add sugar. :o But I bet they would be very good without.
AND I couldn’t remember how to spell “rumaki” so I just left it out. :blush:

Thanks, girls! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.