Looking for scripture passages

I’m working on a witness statement on the theme of renewal. My personal witness story involves a long process of learning how to accept help from others (including God!) – and I’m having difficulty finding scripture passages to illustrate how others have struggled with that, why it’s important to be able to accept help from others, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

**Acts 20:35 **
In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

**2 Corinthians 1:11 **
You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us in answer to many prayers.

**Philippians 4:3 **
And I ask you also, true yokefellow, help these women, for they have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

**1 Thessalonians 5:14 **
And we exhort you, brethren, admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.

**Titus 3:14 **
And let our people learn to apply themselves to good deeds, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not to be unfruitful.

**1 Corinthians 12:28 **
And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues.

I am not sure if this is what you need, but I hope that may help you…
In the love of Christ,
Gloria

An old monk once addressed to me this issue by discussing the stories of Jesus where He received help: Magdalen and the oil on His feet; visiting Mary and Martha and asking Martha to relax and sit down a while; the times He went off by Himself to rest; the times He made requests of others, such as having dinner with a tax collector; the examples of the times He sought help from His Heavenly Father in prayer.

Jesus was not always a full-time giver (although His life was The Great Gift to us). He asked His apostles for help often. He was very strong, but very human.

This is a very important lesson for those of us who are too good at giving but not receiving.

I can’t pinpoint any verses on this exact theme of being able to accept help from others, “etc.”

At the end of Mt’s gospel, Jesus issues the great commission to the apostles, to teach all nations. That seems to involve the “other side of the coin” of waiting expectantly for the good news.

There’s the notion of recognizing help from God, although we don’t always recognize it.

The Israelites were waiting for Moses who went up the mountain to talk with God, and they, instead of waiting patiently, went astray into idol worship (the golden calf incident).

There’s a psalm somewhere about the man who waits for the Lord.

Then there’s always Sirach 2:4 about men who are tested like gold in the crucible of humiliation. This implies abnegation of self and waiting for God’s help.

It may not be the type of verse you are looking for, but when I read your opening post, this is the Scripture passage that came immediately to mind. To me it expresses how much God desires to help us - and how Israel had not recognized and/or accepted His help.
Matthew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you!** How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.