Looking for Scripture verse

I could have sworn there was a verse, similar to Jesus speaking with the Pharisees about cleansing the inside of the cup, but it was something like this:
you should have [attended to the internal] first without failing to [attend to the external]

Only, I cannot find such a verse. I suspect that it really is the talk about the cup or dish with the Pharisees and I’ve just remembered it incorrectly.

Thanks for confirmation either way.

Umm… did you try searching Google on “cleansing the inside of the cup”? I did, and immediately found two references: Matthew 23:26 and Luke 11:39.

:wink:

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it, but that’s not my question.

I am already aware of that verse. The verse I’m thinking of is similar to it but in the formula I laid out above:
you should have [attended to the internal] first without failing to [attend to the external]
as opposed to the verse about the dish which goes
you should have [cleansed the inside] first and [the external] will be clean.

The meanings are vastly different. What I’m suggesting is there is either
a) a verse that I am remembering but cannot find (not the two verses you listed)
or
b) my memory is faulty/I misinterpreted the verse about cleaning the dish and just remembered the corrupted version.

Is this it?

Matthew 23

25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean.

God Bless

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I really appreciate it guys, but I see I’ve failed to communicate my question in the first post.

No, you did.

Luke 11:39, 41 says, “Although you cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish, inside you are filled with plunder and evil… But as to what is within, give alms, and behold, everything will be clean for you.”

The meaning that you ascribe to the verse is there; you’re just misremembering it, it seems… :wink:

Would this be it?

Douay-Rheims Bible

Luke 11:42 But woe to you, Pharisees, because you tithe mint and rue and every herb; and pass over judgment, and the charity of God. **Now these things you ought to have done, and not to leave the other undone. **

Yes! :yyeess: I’m not crazy.

Thanks everyone, especially thanks for finding that verse (just a verse beyond… how did I miss it?). Jeanne, the name of my favorite saint, la Pucelle. Thanks!

I was trying to illustrate earlier that, although it is interior transformation that is important, the external signs of holiness are also important. I thought, alas, the Scripture I was relying on is gone, or never existed! This verse proves it so.

Edit: I understand that in the former verses it could be argued that external signs of holiness are important, but it is not so explicit as it is in the verse that we just found.

I was surprised that the verse was so close to the cup one, as well. I could almost see the verse I thought you wanted in my head but, like you, not quite. Used a Bible search tool for “neglecting” and it came up. (I prefer ‘undone’, though. :slight_smile: )

I doubt either of us will ever lose it again. :slight_smile:

:extrahappy:

I was reading that chapter yesterday.

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.