Looking for traditional music

I would like to attend a mass in Central California that has traditional music. I would like to attend a Mass where hymns are sung that are not from Breaking Bread, and the Mass Propers are sung instead of what is in Respond & Acclaim.

I am just curious how that would sound, and would like to go. I am wanting to gather information to make an informed opinion.

Thank you.

I am the Director of Music for the four parish Cathlolic Churches of Visalia. OCP is, at this point, still the worship material supplier.
However, if you attend St. Mary's Parish at the 8:30am Mass you will hear the Introit and Communio Propers, traditional and solid hymnody, and very catholic settings of the ordinary.
You can contact me via going to the website tccov.org
Blessings,
Charles

[quote="Elizabeth779, post:1, topic:300355"]
I would like to attend a mass in Central California that has traditional music. I would like to attend a Mass where hymns are sung that are not from Breaking Bread, and the Mass Propers are sung instead of what is in Respond & Acclaim.

I am just curious how that would sound, and would like to go. I am wanting to gather information to make an informed opinion.

Thank you.

[/quote]

It has been said that the only traditional music to be heard at Mass, is the religious music you remember from when you were a child....and that is very difficult to find the older you get.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:3, topic:300355"]
It has been said that the only traditional music to be heard at Mass, is the religious music you remember from when you were a child....and that is very difficult to find the older you get.

[/quote]

I was raised on standard OCP and NALR fare. Haugen/Haas, Joncas, Landry, St. Louis Jesuits. I attended Mass in my school's parish, and they had a 10:30 Folk Mass where my parents would seat me in the fourth pew back, squarely in front of the folk group with guitars, tambourines, autoharp and flute. I enjoyed it immensely. It is where I learned to sing and appreciate music. I wouldn't trade the experience for the world, and there are still songs I treasure from that time.

However, as I grew and matured in my understanding of the liturgy, I found out more about what the Church recommends and prefers for music. I decided for myself that Mass is not a time to be given over to wild emotions and undignified music, but should be observed reverently and soberly, yet joyfully (or appropriate emotion for the season).

Fast forward 30 years to today, when my liturgical life is still dictated by OCP and GIA, I feel as if I am in a prison. But I am about to be set free. My parish has purchased pew copies of the Lumen Christi Missal, and it appears that our pastor, following our bishop's example, wishes to introduce chant and "singing the Mass" as the Church intends. I am joyful yet fearful of the change and the upset it will bring. I wish for your prayers for our community as we face this bravely.

Attend the folk music festival organised in pushkar. it Discover over 300 talented artists from incredible states of India such as Rajasthan, Gujarat, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Chhattisgarh, Kerela, West Bengal and many more!

music festival india

blue lotus is a good traditional and folk music festival...
for more info check at bluelotusfestival.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.