Looking into the Benedictine Oblates

HI,

I am seriously considering Benedictine spirituality and becoming an Oblate. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any contact with the Sister at Emmanual Monastery in Lutherville, Maryland? May be someone is an Oblate with this Monastery. Does anyone have any experiences that they can share about this group of Sisters?

Thanks,

I don't know that particular monastery so can't offer advice about them. But in general, I would suggest that it's good to visit the monastery and see how it feels. Do you fit there? Will you be happy praying with them, attending retreats with them, and so on? On a very practical level, is it close enough for you to be able to visit at least occasionally? Ultimately no one else can decide for you if a particular monastery is a good fit or not.

Being an Oblate has been a great thing for me and I hope you will find it the same.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:2, topic:333710"]
I don't know that particular monastery so can't offer advice about them. But in general, I would suggest that it's good to visit the monastery and see how it feels. Do you fit there? Will you be happy praying with them, attending retreats with them, and so on? On a very practical level, is it close enough for you to be able to visit at least occasionally? Ultimately no one else can decide for you if a particular monastery is a good fit or not.

Being an Oblate has been a great thing for me and I hope you will find it the same.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for your advice. I know that God has led me to this. I am at peace and I just know this is what I am supposed to do. I really have no doubt about it. I am so glad that you responded.

Would you say a little more about what attracts you to Benedictine spirituality or to this monastery. I love hearing about things like this.

I will try to make this short. I first came to know of St. Benedict when I was in, I guess you would call it a deliverance ministry that consisted of a priest from the dioceses, another lady and myself. It is a long story. Anyway, I was in this ministry for two years, and we helped a lot of people, until the priest was forced to retire because of health.

I have been looking for a community where I could be a part of and share a deeper spirituality with others. A long time ago, I looked into the Carmalites, as my mother was a Third Order member for 45 years when she died. I also looked into the Franciscans. But these were not for me for various reasons. However, recently, I got the urge to look for monasteries on the web. I cannot tell you why except that I believe it was the Holy Spirit. I came pretty quickly to information concerning Benedictine spirituality. I found, was presented to me on the web, the monastery I inquired about. I have learned that most of the Benedictine spirituality, I am already following and have been. I have even been wearing a St. Benedict medal for the last three years.

I need to further deepen this with others who can understand. I live pretty much by myself, as my room mate is Catholic, but does not attend Church.

This is it in a nutshell. I firmly believe this is what God wants me to do.

I also forgot to add that I always wanted to go into religious life, but I had to support and take care of my mother most of her life.

Something that I've found very useful is Br. Jerome Leo's commentary on the Rule. You can see what his reflections are like and sign up, if you wish, at stmarysmonastery.org/holy_rule_reflections.html

He has a way of making things very relevant to people living in the world rather than in the cloister.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:6, topic:333710"]
Something that I've found very useful is Br. Jerome Leo's commentary on the Rule. You can see what his reflections are like and sign up, if you wish, at stmarysmonastery.org/holy_rule_reflections.html

He has a way of making things very relevant to people living in the world rather than in the cloister.

[/quote]

Thanks so much. I will certainly check this out. This sounds like a really good site.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.