Looks like the Golden Compass isn't doing as good as they thought it would

In case anyone was curious whether or not it was actually a well-made movie or not, apparently it is pretty terrible.

rottentomatoes.com/m/his_dark_materials_the_golden_compass/?beg=0&int=69&creamcrop_limit=18&page=all

4.2/10

My favorite comments:

"The Golden Compass is a fantasy epic based on the first book of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials The Golden Compass is a fantasy epic based on the first book of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, a series the author reportedly intended to serve as the “anti-Narnia,” inspired by his disdain for C.S. Lewis’s Christian-themed children’s novels. But on the big screen, director Chris Weitz’s messy adaptation functions more like a Narnia Lite, with all of the talking animals and visual splendor but none of the depth or narrative coherence of 2005’s The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, a series the author reportedly intended to serve as the “anti-Narnia,” inspired by his disdain for C.S. Lewis’s Christian-themed children’s novels. But on the big screen, director Chris Weitz’s messy adaptation functions more like a Narnia Lite, with all of the talking animals and visual splendor but none of the
depth or narrative coherence of 2005’s The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe "

Also:

“The best you can say about “The Golden Compass” is that it’s merely the second-dullest Nicole Kidman/Daniel Craig film this year… The Chronicles of Yawnia

Unfortunately, the movie critic for my local paper gave it 3 1/2 stars.

journalstar.com/articles/2007/12/07/living/gz/movies/doc47587fcb76bc8666440141.txt

I don’t usually reply twice, but I can’t seem to edit my other reply to add this:

Review of the movie from World Net Daily.

wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58341

3 1/2 out of 100?? :wink: :smiley:

no, 3 1/2 of 4 stars. :mad:

The review on World Net Daily is good, but I wouldn’t trust his movieguide.org site for other movie reviews.

So far a 44% - a distinct “Rotten”.

<Mr. Burns> Eeeexcellent </Mr. Burns>

Good to see the forces of secularism get taken down a peg :smiley:

I’m sure atheist Pullman would absolutely love this comment, but I see a similarity in the reviews for his book’s movie, and the Left Behind books:

Some criticize it as being anti-religion, but many are furious that the film isn’t anti-religious enough!

Just like how LB was denounced as anti-Catholic in some parts, and denounced in others for not being anti-Catholic enough.

It’s averaging only a 53% of compiled reviews on Metacritic.

I think everyone is just giving this too much attention on its controversy and that is probably driving more people to see it than its quality or anyone’s original curiosity about just the subject matter.

Just let it die – it’s mediocre entertainment based on a “me-too” reactionary book – usually a formula for failure in arts and media – so just let it die.

I disagree.

I don’t believe that controversy will drive many people to this movie, because this is specifically a kid’s movie. I don’t believe many adults will go by themselves to see this movie.

If not warned about it, parents would just mindlessly take their kids to see it, thinking they were walking into an innocuous fantasy film. But now, hopefully, they won’t.

Well, i guess i can only speak from my own experience and I for one had never even heard of these books before all this controversy and would have never given the movie another second of attention if not for all the stir of controversy.

Also, I work in an entertainment industry and there are so many creators that would love nothing more than to upset we religious folks and get us all stirred up about something and generate publicity for their latest piece of … work. They love it - they thrive on it and bottom line is it is free advertising.

Now, if this were a GOOD movie, then the attention might be more warranted. I don’t disagree with getting the information out there, but I don’t think it needs front page attention and 50 threads about it.

Reno paper gave it a pretty negative review. A not to see movie.

I was listening to AP Network Radio news and they gave it a 4 our of 5 stars…a must see!

Yeah right…:rolleyes:

I saw a headline on my IP’s (Comcast) homepage that said the movie is getting bad reviews and isn’t making the blockbuster $$ so far like they thought it would. deadlinehollywooddaily.com/golden-compass-2007s-biggest-bombs/

All I can say is I’m glad - maybe Hollywood will get the point that this type of movie isn’t acceptable and they need to start producing more wholesome movies that are good for the whole family.

I know I’ll probably get blasted for posting this, but I can’t help but feel glad.

I notice that the comment form on the webpage you directed us to is “closed at this time.” Apparently Hollywood is afraid of getting blasted, as well they should be. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing, MSParrot! :slight_smile: :cool: :thumbsup:

~~ the phoenix

Glad to see it too.

Of course we know they’ll spin it to blame “Christian Intolerance”

Yea, it’s down to a 51% on Metacritic’s compilation of reviews.

The question is: how well did it do sales-wise at the box office. I fear that even though critics pummelked it, all the controversy that was stirred up will still arouse people’s curiosity and many will go see it just to “see what all the ruckus was about…”

We’ll see tomorrow I guess when the box office results are in.

The general public, not critics, didn’t think the movie was that
great. The average grade was C+.

movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20071209/119723838000.html

movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20071209/119723792100.html

If anything…it would appear from the snippits and coming attractions I’ve seen…a cheap knock off of Narnia, but for people who want to disparage God.

I think that Narnia did so well, that people can tell a cheap imitation, when they see one.

The critics don’t seem to care for it.

One of the critics dubbed it “Chronicles of Yawnia”

rottentomatoes.com/m/his_dark_materials_the_golden_compass/

I just hope this translates into poor box office receipts and they scrap any thoughts of doing the rest of the trilogy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.