Looks like the pill changes women's taste in men

According to some research cited by BBC, simply put, women’s preferences seem to change in favour of more masculine face features when they are on pill. Off the pill, they may find themselves somewhat disappointed with the same man. In turn, for just a mere fling, they’re inclined to go for a less macho, more sensitive man, while without the pill the opposite seems to be true.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2677697.stm

What do you think? It looks simplistic to me and I can’t say it’s intuitively right in any immediately apparent way, but on the other hand it’s not like the pill won’t mess up the hormones. Personalities change, why not taste in men. Actually, I wasn’t surprised by the idea the pill affected women’s taste in men, just the effect it had.

Well, since Posh Spice and Beck have left the country, obviously the BBC is a bit hard-up for news.

What a bunch of bunk.

Dr. Janet Smith has many talks on contraception and the effects it has on our minds as well as our bodies. And it is true what the OP said that the pill affects what kind of man you will be attracted to she states that once you come off the birth control that alot of times you regret the choice you have made in choosing this person. She goes into this deep disscusion on why, I heard her talk ( it is a series of 12 talks) and I cant remember exactly which one it is but I do recall her talking about this. She also says the same for men (through smell) that they can distinguish which woman is on birth control vs. women that are not and that they are more attracted to women that do not contracept.
She also says that many times women dress provacetvly for this reason because it is much harder for her to find a serious mate but I think that is actually doing the opposite to men by dressing this way she is actually making them not take her seriously and she doesnt even know it or why.

Judging by some news stories lately, on or off the pill, women’s choices of men frequently amaze me.

So men are more attracted to women who do not contracept. I wish this were true. I have never taken the contraceptive pill and I do not get asked out.

Well, I have those pronounced cheekbones (an ancestor several hundred years ago was Asian) and jaw line (that’s the Ruthenian ancestry), and I neither believe in contraception, nor in flings :smiley:

More seriously, though, I recall another article from BBC where they cited some study proving that women’s preferences - or rather attraction - was framed differently during the fertile moments than at other times. The result was that during the fertile times more masculine faces were preferred, whereas they softened outside the fertile season. This would suggest the pill keeps that heightened hormonal activity indefinitely, which was the reason I was so surprised.

Of course, attraction and preference are two different things. People aren’t always attracted to what they prefer. Some people are attracted to people, “not of their type,” while some others don’t really seem to care for accidental attraction so much, as they apparently follow their conscious preference steadily. Not like there’s just one kind of attraction - some people, for example, easily filter the darker kinds of attraction (“what’s wrong for you”) without dwelling on it, and they focus on what attracts them more along the lines of their preference (which is still not the same, anyway), that is, the qualities they appreciate in some way rather than merely feel dragged towards. I also think that after a prolonged period of not appreciating a certain quality one used to find attractive, one will lose attraction to that particular quality. This could even be somewhat rational. For example, I’m no longer really attracted to things I don’t find consistent with my principles (indecent exposure and the like) or aesthetic preferences.

Oh, but we were talking about the effects of the pill. :smiley:

This study tries to make cause and effect extrapolations that I just don’t think are plausible.

Is the woman promiscuous because she’s on the pill, or is she on the pill because she is promiscuous? Hmmmm…

I would have to say both are true :blush: Unless you are married but I have seen where it is much easier for the woman to make the decision to cheat on her husband because she is contracepting.

More seriously, though, I recall another article from BBC where they cited some study proving that women’s preferences - or rather attraction - was framed differently during the fertile moments than at other times. The result was that during the fertile times more masculine faces were preferred, whereas they softened outside the fertile season. This would suggest the pill keeps that heightened hormonal activity indefinitely, which was the reason I was so surprised.

My understanding of the study was that when a woman is fertile (ovulating) she is attracted to the more rugged masculine type. Outside the fertile season, the woman likes the softer kind of guy.

The pill keeps the heightened hormone activity going on. But you have to understand the nature of the pill. It works basically by tricking the body into thinking it is already pregnant. So maybe being on the pill continuously makes the women attracted to the softer more feminine guy.

Kind of like hormones make us want chocolate vs. chips throughout the month.

I feel sorry for men having to deal with this. It must drive them crazy :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve heard that too, and it seems to coincide with my own personal experience. Not that I would ever have a fling. It’s just like going for a different type of artwork once a month. Most of the month, you’re a Monet fan, then suddenly you really like Picasso.

seems to be the same old thing , this month an egg is bad for you, next month it will have amazing healing properties if used in moderation, why the sudden change? Money form the egg board? law suit?
just like in the USA right now they down big time on smokers,
I am a smoker but you know what according to the anti smokers I will outlive anyone that has ever been around a smoker that dont smoke that second hand smoke is terrible so I think everyone should start smoking to reduce chances of cancer from second hand smoke! I am kidding by the way about everyone should start.

the statistics are messed up, data sheets fudged on many things, after all you dont get paid to not change the way people think you only get paid if you change it even if for a short period of time, case in point My great grandma: died of Lung cancer, was never around a smoker for any length of time at all ( less than minutes) however she lived in Downtown Detroit her whole life,
oh she died at 86 yrs of age back in the 70s by the way they wrote it up as lung cancer due to second hand smoke, what a farce couldnt be all the pollution in the air, so this second hand smoke thing been in the works for 30+ years why dont they pick on the drunks whom really kill innocent people everyday?
boggles the mind

ok my useless 2 cents has been spent…

I don’t think the article refers to promiscuity in any way except for saying which women would prefer which men for a fling and they asked and got answers from both those on pill and not on pill. :wink:

And taking the pill while not having sex is not promiscuous. Of course, one could argue that preparing for “safe sex” is already promiscuous and well, there’s a point in that. But let’s say a woman is married and on the pill. I don’t think that’s promiscuous unless the pill is considered promiscuous of itself (sex removed from procreation context).

But that is not the finding of the “study” the OP posted. The opposite in fact:

Psychologists have found that women who are taking the pill tend to fancy macho types with strong jaw lines and prominent cheekbones.

However, women who are not taking that form of contraception seem to be more likely to go for more sensitive types without traditionally masculine features.

My first answer was intended to be rather sarcastic. I do not meet enough men anyway.

Really, I don’t know how this teat would rank me by my taste in men or whether there would be any diffence at different times of the month. I, for one, have never looked at a man and said “Look at those cheekbones and jawline. What a hunk.”:shrug: I tend to think that looks are not everything as far as attraction goes. I think that a man’s speaking voice plays a huge role in attraction, actually. I think if a man has a somewhat deeper voice (not effeminate) but yet a sensitive, caring tone in his voice (so you don’t feel like you are being barked at) that is attractive. I think a beard can be attractive on many men (and beards are certainly masculine) but I am not interested in the super macho, dominating, “love em and leave them type”. I would like a man that treats me with respect.

I suppose they meant it in a subtler way, don’t know, part of the masculine look attracting women and then analysis would show what exactly the masculine features were. I’m just guessing, though.

I tend to think that looks are not everything as far as attraction goes.

Yeah, and that’s also true of female-to-male attraction. Looks aren’t static, anyway. The way the girl moves is also important and well, there’s always that something which isn’t really just looks.

I think that a man’s speaking voice plays a huge role in attraction, actually.

Yeah, and some more serious studies seem to confirm that, although I’m not able to give you a link.

I think if a man has a somewhat deeper voice (not effeminate) but yet a sensitive, caring tone in his voice (so you don’t feel like you are being barked at) that is attractive.

Yup, I agree. Theoretical things I’ve read and the input from my female friends confirms that as well. I wouldn’t say it’s exclusively a female feature. My ex had a beautiful voice and it was a major factor.

but I am not interested in the super macho, dominating, “love em and leave them type”.

Well, you’re Catholic, so you’re on the non-macho-loving side of that study. :wink:

I would like a man that treats me with respect.

That’s rare with women, again, I suppose it has to do with the effect of conscious preference on attraction and the process of choosing. And it may have to do with most women taking the pill. Then again, writers have complained about women being attracted to those who treat them badly long before the wide spread of contraception. Part of this may be a biological factor relating to strength - brutes are strong and not well-versed in communication since they are fighters. That, and brutes are confident. Here comes the somewhat culturally conditioned attraction to a combination of confidence and mystery. To some extent it’s understandable that people are attracted more to those who don’t bow down in half but instead talk frankly, since those can be relied on for honest advice and they’re also open books for reading. I’ve heard women complain about men’s attraction to bad girls and women who don’t treat them well, either, so I guess it’s a general human factor that we’re inclined to fight for the attention of those who aren’t ready to give it away. Personally, I think I’ve managed to get over it, but I’ve noticed I’m not really impressed if people repeat my words in total agreement and all such.

Anyway, I do wonder, since I would think the pill should redue libido, hormone levels and whatnot, so it shouldn’t make the recipient more inclined towards machos. On the other hand, maybe low levels of hormone prenecessitate strong masculine features in a prospective partner for any notice?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.