Lord of the Rings Online

It comes out April 24th. I’ve been playing the open beta (which is still available if you want to trial it) and so far I really like it and think it does as a good a job as can be expected being faithful to the spirit of Tolkien’s Middle-Earth.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else is doing it and perhaps forming a Catholic kinship (kinship being the equivalent of a guild or clan in other games.) Reply or msg me.

Scott

I love LORTO!

I love to walk around Middle Earth, meet familiar characters, and complete all those quests…

It would be nice to make a Catholic kinship, but do you use the US or European beta? I use the European.

And do you know if it is possible to go to places like Rohan and Gondor?

Is it Windows only, or can people with real computers play, too? :smiley:

I’m in. I was in closed beta 2 and am now playing as a pre-order, open beta. I love it. I’m a veteran of many MMOs including WoW, EQ1, and some of EQ2.

I have four characters on Windfola, a dwarf champion, elf hunter, man minstral, and a hobbit burgler. I don’t think I was being very creative in selecting the class. The burgler is 15 (and an honary sheriff), the rest are lvl 10.

I absolutely love the game and will buy the lifetime subscription. I also would like a Catholic or Christian guild.

Rohan and Gondor will be future expansions as far as I know. I am playing on the US beta.

I have four characters on Windfola, a dwarf champion, elf hunter, man minstral, and a hobbit burgler. I don’t think I was being very creative in selecting the class. The burgler is 15 (and an honary sheriff), the rest are lvl 10.

I absolutely love the game and will buy the lifetime subscription. I also would like a Catholic or Christian guild.

One of the issues to resolve would be that we are all on the same server which we can figure out if more are interested. (I’m on Arkentstone but I’m indifferent to whatever server we choose). Need six to form a kinship and someone pm’d me, so it looks like two plus me with an interest at the moment. Also, I don’t necessarily have to be in charge either. :slight_smile:

Is it Windows only, or can people with real computers play, too?

Unfortunately, Windows only.

Well, I got my minstral to about 11.5 last night. I’ve given up on trying to keep all the trade skills covered. I think I’ll convert everyone to an explorer and sell the wood and metal ingots. Every time I’ve done that I have lots of money.

If anyone wants to get together, I’m on Windfola in Bree and my name is Ramalama.

I know what you mean. Level the character or perfect the crafting seems to be the classic dilema in many of these games. :slight_smile: Of course the 15 lvl cap for the beta messes with that as well.

I’d be ALL OVER this…

except I have 3 youngins and about nil time for gaming.

I’ll live vicariously through you all though!

The idea of LOTR Online strikes me as awesomely unappealing. The Shire being ruined with the LOTRO equivalent of Chuck Norris jokes - or even worse, l33tsp33k - makes me more than a little sad. But you guys can play with it as much as you like. I’m sticking with WoW for now, ^_^.
Remember, if you want to join me, I’m Mezzo, on Alliance side Vek’nilash.

They added an “Advice” channel which works fairly well. I normally have OOC off and have yet to hear a Chuck Norris joke. If you change your mind and want to join me, I’m Ramalama on Windfola, currently helping the good folks of Bree.

“Advice”?

Yes - most of the use I’ve seen for OOC is asking for information as to what to do. For instance, “Where’s Phrodo?” You can still ask that in OOC, but it would more appropriate in Advice.

Am I missing something about your question?

I haven’t heard of this game, cna you explain a little more about it? Do you buy in a store or online?
I’m a Lord of the Rings addict, so I would definately be interested in this.

You can find out more about it at:

lotro.com/splash

It’s an MMORPG (Massively Multiple Online Roll Playing Game) that’s played in Middle Earth with other players from all over the world, like World of Warcraft. The game costs ~$40 and there is a monthly charge to play it. It hasn’t been announced, but the other games of this type are about $15 per month. You need a DSL or cable connection to play effectively. There is a pre-release deal now where you can get $5 off the monthly charge.

I should note there are lots of people online with you when you play. Although there are profanity filters, it’s kind of like walking through the food mall in your local shopping center after school. Sometimes you hear stuff you don’t like. Turbine (the company developing and running the game) has been pretty good at keeping the kids in check.

I’m only kind of a minor fan of the books and I love it. I have a Hobbit burglar that just spent a couple weeks in the shire helping other Hobbits. One of the quests was to deliver mail among the little villages. I really enjoyed it.

I hope to see you in the game.

I can understand that. I’ve never played WoW, so it can’t suffer by comparison for me. And of course it draws flies like any game, but I’ve found by filtering out the OOC (Out-of-Character) channel, I never hear the usual garbage. Almost like Turbine meant it to be the Obnoxious Online Creeps channel which you can thankfully turn off.

The OOC channel isn’t really that bad, not like, say, Guildwars. Sometimes people are annoying, or they spam or swear, but it seems minimal. Besides OOC chat is not really integral to the game.

You can always filter out obnoxious players.

And the shire isn’t being ruined by any jokes.

One thing I like is that most people seem to have a LOTR inspired name, which adds to the atmosphere.

I use to play EQ back when it was adventuring and corpse runs really ment something. I use to love sneaking around and just plain exploring by myself, or in very small groups.

How does this game compare to the old EQ?

LOTRO has virtually no down time and no corpse runs. It is very solo friendly. Also, almost all the experince gained, at least at low levels, is from questing, not grinding. I remember in EQ, waiting for the boss mob to spawn - there’s none of that here either. In EQ there was a shortage of things to kill, too. I haven’t seen much of that either. All in all, the frustrating things are gone.

Hi All,

Just installed the pre-order and am about to create a character. Any groups forming on a particular server?

Since Ramalama was the first to mention a server, I say go with Windfola.

I have a Loremaster named Hwesta and a Burglar named Kyria there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.