Lord, Save Us From Your Followers

Just wondering if any of you have seen the movie or how you feel or think I should feel about it as a Catholic?

I have mixed opinions about the movie and wanted to get y’alls.

Here’s the trailer…
youtube.com/watch?v=GT3oEYIR1zA

I haven't seen it, but its a straight-to-video documentary which cost about $1 million.

Here is how Jason Buchanan, of All Movie Guide, described it:

Filmmaker Dan Merchant explores the friction between faith and culture in America during a time when religious debate has flooded the media yet rhetoric has grown bitterly divisive in the lead-up to the 2008 presidential elections. By conducting man-on-the-street interviews, speaking with experts, and exploring the controversy of religion in humorous animated segments, Merchant examines how the country has been divided by the gospel of love. Dividing his time equally between speaking with such left-leaning media figures as Al Franken and liberal evangelical Tony Campolo and such notable conservatives as Michael Reagan, Jerry Falwell, and Pat Robertson, Merchant offers a well-rounded but unflinchingly critical study in the conflicts of faith in contemporary America

rottentomatoes.com/m/lord_save_us_from_your_followers/

I haven’t seen the film, but from the trailer it looks interesting and a movie I would like to see.

I suppose both sides of this cultural conflict encounter and confront things they don’t like or want to hear from each other. A big part of the problem is our ever present and influential media, and it’s this same media that is presenting this movie.

There is a movie critique with a website called descentfilms.com
He comes on Catholic radio & I have found the reviews there to be helpful

[quote="Sarahforgiven, post:4, topic:243907"]
There is a movie critique with a website called descentfilms.com
He comes on Catholic radio & I have found the reviews there to be helpful

[/quote]

I think you are referring to Steven D. Greydanus' site
decentfilms.com/

Although he is film critic for the National Catholic Register and makes radio appearances as well, the website seems to be a one-person effort. Low budget documentaries, such as the one discussed in this thread, are likely to fly under his radar. I couldn't find any mention of the film on the site.

Although the movie review site formerly sponsored by the US bishops is larger, it too doesn't mention the documentary in question.
catholicnews.com/movies.htm?cx=008402456443019734212%3A1hx3euvzjzm&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=Lord%2C+Save+Us+From+Your+Followers&sa=Search&siteurl=www.catholicnews.com%2Fmovies.htm#252

(BTW, the US bishops' movie review site used to be hosted on the USCCB website, but has more recently been moved to the website of the Catholic News Service, which has connections to the US Conference of Catholic Bishops but is independent of it.

Just today a friend recommended this. Anyone since seen it?

My girlfriend got the DVD she liked it so much. I found it interesting, some parts were really compelling, others not so much. She ended up loaning it to our priest, he liked it.

[quote="KyleBuschFan, post:1, topic:243907"]
Just wondering if any of you have seen the movie or how you feel or think I should feel about it as a Catholic?

I have mixed opinions about the movie and wanted to get y'alls.

Here's the trailer...
youtube.com/watch?v=GT3oEYIR1zA

[/quote]

why don't you make your own opinions instead of asking others on how YOU should feel about it. We are not in a cult

[quote="Pugnax, post:8, topic:243907"]
why don't you make your own opinions instead of asking others on how YOU should feel about it. We are not in a cult

[/quote]

He DID have an opinion-----he said it was "mixed." He just wanted to know other people's not-so-mixed opinions.

With all due respect, Pugnax, that was a little TOO snarky and condescending for some folks's tastes here, I would venture to say.

Tone it down just a tad, will ya? :thumbsup::o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.