Lord's Day

I was wondering, does anyone know of when the Lord’s Day was first esplicitly connected with Sunday? Thanks and God bless.

I don’t know for sure when the first explicit mention of the Lord’s day occurred, but here are some early ones.

St. Ignatius of Antioch (50AD to 98-117 AD):
“Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord’s Day, in which our life is blessed by Him and by His death.”

Justin Martyr (100 to 165 AD):
“We all gather on the day of the sun, for it is the first day (after the Jewish sabbath, but also the first day) when God, separating matter from darkness, made the world; and on this same day Jesus Christ our Savior rose from the dead.” (Doesn’t specifically call it the Lord’s Day, but the day of Jesus…)

And for a really old reference, one can see the words of David in Psalm 118:24 as forseeing a “Lord’s Day”:
“This is the day which the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” :slight_smile:

Source for all three quotes is the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part Three, Article 3, The Third Commandment.

Nita

From Adam Clarke’s commentary on Rev 1:10 -
The Lord’s day - The first day of the week, observed as the Christian Sabbath, because on it Jesus Christ rose from the dead; therefore it was called the Lord’s day, and has taken place of the Jewish Sabbath throughout the Christian world.

From the Haydock Commentary on Rev 1:10, “Ver. 10. On the Lord’s day.[3] Not on the Jewish sabbath, which is our Saturday, but on the Christian sabbath, our Sunday, called the Lord’s day. The Church, in the apostle’s time, changed the day of rest, on which the Jews were commanded to rest and sanctify that day, from Saturday to Sunday, from the last day of the week to the first. They judged this only to be an indispensable precept, that some day or some time should be appointed, in a special manner, to God’s service and worship, on which Christians should also abstain from servile works, that were not of necessity: as to the determination of such a day of the week, they judged that the Church had power to change the day. The late pretended reformers have all agreed with us in this change. And if they would have all that is expressed in this commandment, to be of an indispensable and unchangeable obligation, according to the letter of the law, they ought certainly to observe, to sanctify, and to abstain from all servile works of Saturday, or on the Jewish sabbath. — A great voice, as of a trumpet. To signify the importance of things to be revealed. (Witham) — Voice, &c. This was most likely St. John the Baptist, who calls himself the voice of one crying in the desert, and who in Malachias is called the Angel of the Lord, as he is also styled in the first verse of this chapter. (Pastorini)”

From John Wesley’s Commentary Rev 1:10 - On the Lord’s day - On this our Lord rose from the dead: on this the ancients believed he will come to judgment.

1 Cor. 16:2 - Paul instructs the Corinthians to make contributions to the churches “on the first day of the week,” which is Sunday. This is because the primary day of Christian worship is Sunday.

These are all the reasons that I need to settle this question in my mind.

1. Matthew 28:1 And in the end of the sabbath, when it began to dawn towards the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalen and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre.

2. Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they come to the sepulchre, the sun being now risen.

3. Mark 16:9 But he rising early the first day of the week, appeared first to Mary Magdalen, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

4. Luke 24:1 And on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared.

5. John 20:1 And on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalen cometh early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre; and she saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

6. Acts Of Apostles 20:7 And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight.

7. 1st Corinthians 16:2 On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him; that when I come, the collections be not then to be made.

8. Revelation 1:10 I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Notice that in that last verse St. John doesn’t say “the Sabbath”.

From the very day Jesus rose

we just discussed this on another thread and a helpful poster gave all the NT cites for Sunday celebration of the Eucharist as an “Easter” beginning with the Emmaus journey.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.