Lorraine Boettner and Communisim

So my Dad found a copy of the famed ‘anti-Catholic Bible’ Roman Catholicism in his office at work (he works at a local evangelical ‘Bible Church’). It was from our church’s library, and he wound up bringing it home and he asked if I wanted to read it. He doesn’t know I want to be Catholic (at least not that I know of) but he does know I’ve been researching the topic so that’s why he gave me Boettner’s book to look through. Well, when I first started reading it I was curious, since I’d heard all the rumors about the book. Needless to say it didn’t take long before I pretty much confirmed all these rumors for myself, but when I read the introduction I noticed something. It seems that Mr. Boettner’s whole point in writing this book was to warn evangelicals that if they allowed the Catholic Church to gain much more power then the evil Communist Russians would take over the country, and that the Catholic Church and Communism are the same thing. Honestly it seems that Boettner seemed more concerned with calling Catholicism anti-American, or a Communist front to our freedoms then calling it anti-Christian. So I was thinking, could Lorraine’s book be seen as sort of product of the anti-Communist frenzy of the 1950’s and early 60’s and the last fledglings of the political anti-Catholicism (he laments JFK and other Catholics being in high political positions in this book) sort of ‘meetin’ up?’ Sorry, I’ve just found myself looking at this book from a historical perspective very facisnating.

Oh, and to note, I have not finished the book. I’ve skimmed most of it, but I don’t think I could read the whole thing, without tearing it to shreds with anger.

I too have a copy of his book but I own it and I agree with you that it is very definitely a product of 1950s anti-communist rhetoric with the twist that somehow Mr Boettner managed to conflate communism and catholicism into one vast conspiracy of evil. Basically his book is part of the world of crank literature on a par with books like “the protocols of the elders of Zion” and “the trail of blood”. It is not worth the paper it is printed on. But unlike you I have read it and managed to resist any temptation to tear it up and throw it away (mind you, I cannot recall having any such temptations because I was too busy laughing at the silliness of his statements).

There are many anti-catholic books in the world and Boettner’s is probably not the worst. Best to let your dad have it back in a few weeks time and mention how interesting it was :wink:

Cheers

Or use the book as a way of educating yourself on Catholism.:thumbsup:

Every anti-Catholic statement about doctrine or beliefs that this Fiction novel says, research it from RELIABLE sources and find out the Truth as to what our beautiful faith teaches.

Please though, your father, like all good parents, is only concerned about your Total well being so try and remain respectful.

As you research the claims made in this book and continue on your faith journey, share this with your father (in a NON-angry-argumentative way). Who knows, you just might be planting seeds for the Holy Spirit to sprout and you and your dad may travel Together on a beautiful journey of faith discovery.

Above all though, always pray for God to help you know the truth and be open to where He leads you.

Prayers are with you my young friend…and God bless you:)

The premise of the book is easily refuted by the most basic knowledge if the history of Eastern Europe, and Poland in particular.

Read Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating (who by the way is the founder of Catholic Answers and this forum).

He takes down Boettner’s claims beautifully.

“Catholicism and Fundamentalism” is excellent, the names are a little dated but the same tired tactics are still alive and well today. Keating does a superb job refuting the standard anti-Catholic attacks put forward by Fundamentalists and certain Evangelicals. As a former Evangelical/Fundamentalist I found that men like Boettner and those that have followed in his footsteps did an excellent job of convincing me of the truth and fullness of the Catholic Church; by reading and examining their attacks and comparing them to the actual doctrines and dogmas of the Church I was given a “crash course” in Catholicism. It’s funny how the Holy Spirit works sometimes. In the beginning of my journey I was silently screaming “No, anything but the Catholic Church!” by the end I was admitting “Nothing but the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church will suffice.” Praise be to Jesus Christ and Praise be to His Most Holy and Beautiful Name now and forever.

Thinking logically about those premises OP, the Catholic Church should have flourished under Communism if it were in any way linked.

We know that’s not the case, and it seems you do too.:wink:

Yes, Keating does a wonderful job!

I have read the book, and Keating pointed out the many half-truths, lies, and twisted reasoning in Boettner’s book.

It is an excellent book to have to refute Boettner’s confused explanations.

eek haven’t gotten back to this thread for a while, will now reply

Hmm, some parts I laughed some parts I just shook my head in annoyance. The part about tearing it up probably was a bit of an exaggeration, but the book was very unnerving at many parts. After a while I realized that the book just got my blood boiling so I stopped, besides I realized that I had already heard most of his claims before so it didn’t bother me much that I hadn’t finished the book.

Well my dad does need to return it to our church he said he’d take it back but he hasn’t yet. Guess I should remind him.

Is Mr Boetnerrs (sp) book available anywhere on-line? I would hate to pay money to read it.

He obviously does not know much about Catholics if he thinks we are commies, LOL. :rolleyes:

Please though, your father, like all good parents, is only concerned about your Total well being so try and remain respectful.

I do want to make it clear that I am pretty sure my dad gave me this as sort of a research material and not as a way of getting me to see the evils of Catholicism, like I said, I am pretty sure he doesn’t know. I have tried to say that I think the book is a bit too polemical, and is mainly one man’s non-cited anti-Catholic, anti-communist rants (obviously in much more respectful terms than that ;)) and therefore not as great ‘research material’ as he might think, but he didn’t seem to get what I was trying to say. The same thing with my mom in another instance, I was trying to tell her that a few of the positions and assumptions of a Evangelical church history book (not anti-Catholic though) were a bit too naive and simplistic and I couldn’t see to get her to understand what I was saying either. For instance once when I was trying to explain that the claim that the early church should have just followed the Bible can’t be held because the canon wasn’t complete yet, she mistook me for saying the Church was intentionally not canonizing the Scriptures to control people.

As you research the claims made in this book and continue on your faith journey, share this with your father (in a NON-angry-argumentative way). Who knows, you just might be planting seeds for the Holy Spirit to sprout and you and your dad may travel Together on a beautiful journey of faith discovery.

Honestly most of the major claims I already have researched so that’s not a problem for me. The others, are really to childish to even look into. And since Boettner really is terrible with citations, I didn’t see see the need to hunt the internet for the original quote by some obscure unnamed Catholic priest he cites out of context.

A conversion for my Dad would be very nice. Actually a reversion, my Dad’s a cradle Catholic, and was raised Catholic all through childhood and adolescence the whole nine yards. My grandparents still have his first communion and confirmation pictures. I mean my grandparents (who still are Catholic) would be thrilled if their son came back, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Actually being lapsed Catholic I think he’d probably be more aggressive than mom when I ‘come out’ so to speak. Hopefully when he sees me he’ll have a newfound interest in his old faith. He left as a college student so I doubt he really had an in depth look at Catholicism before jumping out.

Above all though, always pray for God to help you know the truth and be open to where He leads you.

Prayers are with you my young friend…and God bless you

Thanks, God bless you too.

IDK you can probably get it from the library or interlibrary loan pretty easily. Inter-library loan has been a life saver since I’ve started wanting books that our libraries don’t stock.

Highly unlikely. It’s still a good seller in the anti-Catholic crowd. He died in 1990, so the copyright won’t expire until at least 2065.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.