Los Angeles Religious Education Congress 2013

I was surprised that there was no thread about this yet, and no videos on YouTube. I found them here. It looks like they have two Masses and some speakers. I haven't watched them yet but I hope it has improved. It looks from the still that they still have liturgical dancers. Oh to be a Catholic in Los Angeles, it's rough.

Oh wow, that Hawaiian “Eucharistic Liturgy”. Dancers, leis, wine consecrated in glass jugs, all in Hawaiian (when about 2 people in Los Angeles speak Hawaiian). Sigh, I hoped for improvement this year, but it all seems the same.

:popcorn:

[quote="chaldobyzantine, post:3, topic:316146"]
:popcorn:

[/quote]

rofl

The Congress is usually held in the Anaheim Convention Center, which is technically in the Diocese of Orange.

This raises the question: Will the new Bishop of Orange, Bishop Vann, ask the LA Archdiocese to move the LAREC to a venue outside of his diocese?

I am blessed to live in this archdiocese and to be able to easily attend Congress. Spending a weekend with tens of thousands of Catholics, attending workshops led by well known speakers, loading up on books from a variety of Catholic publishers, and participating in Masses with a thousand or more other people is a truly amazing experience.

And I look forward to the annual thread here bemoaning Congress just like I look forward to the protestors outside the Convention Center. The question there is which group will be more noticeable, the anti-Catholic Catholics claiming that the speakers are a bunch of heretics, or the anti-Catholic non-Catholics claiming that we're not Christian.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:7, topic:316146"]
I am blessed to live in this archdiocese and to be able to easily attend Congress. Spending a weekend with tens of thousands of Catholics, attending workshops led by well known speakers, loading up on books from a variety of Catholic publishers, and participating in Masses with a thousand or more other people is a truly amazing experience.

And I look forward to the annual thread here bemoaning Congress just like I look forward to the protestors outside the Convention Center. The question there is which group will be more noticeable, the anti-Catholic Catholics claiming that the speakers are a bunch of heretics, or the anti-Catholic non-Catholics claiming that we're not Christian.

[/quote]

Get out of it what you can, and ignore the rest.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

How are the speakers? I was looking at the agenda and saw plenty of workshops for "ministers of movement" (the nice say of saying illicit liturgical dancers), but how are the rest?

I suppose sessions on movement would be useful for those who teach young children, but that's not my group. My sessions dealt with prayer, scripture, adult faith formation, and RCIA.

My last session was on RCIA and was the best one I attended. I have ideas to implement that I think will make our program better for the participants. I feel fired up and ready to take on the world.

[/quote]

Good for you!

I am glad to see someone posting here who actually lives within the archdiocese and attends the LA REC.

You and I both know there is a HUGE amount of "fully orthodox programming" available at the LA REC. One picks and chooses what programs they attend. People posting on here based on watching youtube clips and/or looking at photos simply won't have a clue.

Sadly we'll see people obsess about "liturgical dancing", etc. With any luck they'll have a youtube video to viciously dissect. It's appalling at what people spend their time on.

And yes, there will always be the 5-6 protesters outside who demand a return to the "tlm" and demand the cathedral in LA be leveled.

Thanks again for your post. It was a nice sanity check.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:5, topic:316146"]
The Congress is usually held in the Anaheim Convention Center, which is technically in the Diocese of Orange.

[/quote]

I believe the LA REC began in 1972. The Diocese of Orange was not erected until 1976. The Diocese of Orange is in the ecclesial province of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

The Bishop of Orange isn't about to ask the congress be moved. I suspect he doesn't have the power to do it anyway.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:10, topic:316146"]
How are the speakers? I was looking at the agenda and saw plenty of workshops for "ministers of movement" (the nice say of saying illicit liturgical dancers), but how are the rest?

[/quote]

Ministers of movement... a new one on me. That's too funny!

[quote="MrTheosis, post:13, topic:316146"]
I believe the LA REC began in 1972. The Diocese of Orange was not erected until 1976. The Diocese of Orange is in the ecclesial province of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

The Bishop of Orange isn't about to ask the congress be moved. I suspect he doesn't have the power to do it anyway.

[/quote]

The Los Angeles Religious Education Congress is run by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in co-operation with the Diocese of Orange. The welcome at the beginning of the Congress program book has a welcome from L.A. Archbishop Jose Gomez and Bishop Kevin W. Vann of Orange. Today (Sunday), Bishop Vann was the Presider at the morning Mass in the Convention Center Arena and Archbishop Gomez was the Presider at the evening Mass.
And why wouldn't you want an event in your Diocese that attracted 40,000 Catholics from around the world?

Here is a little review of the Los Angeles Religious Ed. Congress 2012 by Our Sunday Visitor (OSV) writer John Norton: www.osv.com/tabid/7621/itemid/9239/Openers-A-glimpse-of-the-universal-Church-i.aspx

[/quote]

Actually the LA REC has been at the Anaheim Convention Center since 1970 (although it was knows as the CCD Congress prior to 1973). There had been forerunners to the congress as early as 1956 at other locations in the Los Angeles area.

[/quote]

The LA Congress attracts attendees from plenty of places outside of California. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles may put on the congress but it serves lots of other Provinces.

I wouldn't think the Bishop of Orange would have any say over who rents the facilities of the Anaheim Convention Center even if he doesn't like it in his county.

[/quote]

sublime.

[quote="SMHW, post:17, topic:316146"]
The LA Congress attracts attendees from plenty of places outside of California. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles may put on the congress but it serves lots of other Provinces.

I wouldn't think the Bishop of Orange would have any say over who rents the facilities of the Anaheim Convention Center even if he doesn't like it in his county.

[/quote]

Of course, the Bishop of Orange doesn't have veto power over the Anaheim Convention Center's bookings, but if he no longer wished his diocese to co-sponsor the event and asked the LA Archdiocese to hold it outside of his diocese, then it most likely would be moved. That was my intended point earlier. (This is all speculative of course, as we have no idea of Bishop Vann's opinions about the LAREC's liturgies or the rest of the conference.)

I attended the LA REC Youth Day 2013 on Thursday February 21st. I found the morning workshop informative. In the afternoon there was a lengthy presentation/homily/stand-up comedy routine by a Father Tony from New Orleans. The Mass was celebrated by Archbishop Gomez and con-celebrants. There were dancers performing periodically throughout the Mass.

The only protesters encountered at Youth Day were fundamentalist Christians shouting against Catholicism.

If you were there or attended on subsequent days, I will be interested to read your post(s).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.