Losing faith. Why should I believe in God?

You should still believe in God, because there is nothing to loose in believing in God.

I get it. Because I really do want to believe. But it’s hard. I don’t want to blame God for problems, I just wish he was more present, without us having to keep telling ourselves at the back of our mind, “If I believe he’s here, he’s here.” It’s like an internal struggle to even keep him. You would think that if he wanted everyone to be saved, he would be more present in the lives of those who truly need him.

I’ve considered this. Yet I did lose something by living according to God. It’s not the most crazy story but I was a freshman in college and met this girl I really liked that checked all the boxes. Catholic, pretty, caring, and similar careers/interests. We started going on dates. I thought she was the one. Well turns out, she got with another guy, because things didn’t “escalate” between us. Me, a devout catholic, never intended to have sex with her until marriage, and only kiss after we’d be going steady. This was the girl of my dreams, that did like me but I lost her because we weren’t intimate enough. So you do have to sacrifice sexual experiences, which don’t seem bad, but I was pretty devastated when this happened. I thought I was doing the right thing, and got really hurt.

Please, do not blame God. If you want to feel good only, then choose an idol and be happy. It won’t make you struggle. If you think God is unworthy of struggle then, perhaps, God is not for you. Look for something else that you value and makes you happy.

I want God in my life but it’s almost like he doesn’t want me. I would think he would reach out more? I also feel like idols won’t, and they don’t, bring any purpose of life. I’m just frustrated that God is so powerful, yet so silent, yet wants a relationship with us? So many contradictions it’s confusing

In your mind, yes… You are riding your own contradictions. Forget Jesus. Live happily. My last word.

Please do NOT forget about Jesus.

@Walterross: For decades, I was treated for intractable depression, anxiety, and chronic pain. I took many different anti-depressants, sedatives, and pain medications. None of them worked. I’m not weak. I’m not indifferent. I’m not a coward. I white-knuckled my way through seemingly endless years of horrible depression.

And finally, New Jersey loosened medical marijuana policies. Many more conditions could be treated. This story is true. (And no, I’m not claiming it’s a miracle.) I started consuming a non-intoxicating variety one day, and the next day, the lights were on. I wasn’t in pain, I wasn’t depressed, and my mind was firing on all pistons. If medical MJ is legal in your state, get your doctor to write a script. Otherwise, you might try transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I had a couple or remissions with TMS. But they didn’t last. (TMS is available only available by prescription.) You can find out more about this treatment at the NeuroStar Web site.

Any of us can have situational depression from a traumatic event. Year-after-year depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. You don’t have to white-knuckle your way through life. I’m saying, find a treatment and work on it. Therapy will help as well. If my experience can help one person to get out of this pit, then all of my suffering would be worth it.

As I said, in 58 years, I’ve been through lots of highs and lows.

I watched one of the above videos about the resurrection of Jesus and I’m starting to believe that it’s true. It’s a great feeling, really. I look forward to watching the others on this thread as well.

Wow I’m so glad to hear that you’ve, if not completely overcome your mental illness, greatly reduced it. That’s fantastic. Congratulations! I have been white-knuckling it for a while now and actually am looking at starting medication as well as therapy. I’m not sure if it will completely help me, but if it doesn’t I will look into the above that you mentioned. Thank you! And again congrats because I know what a burden it is and can only imagine what being free would feel like.:grinning:

@Walterross: Thanks for your congratulations on my remission.

As I suggested, cognitive behavioral therapy will help, if you get a good psychologist. The best will help you recognize behaviors and thoughts that worsen your state of mind. Google around for a good therapist. Look at their patient ratings. God bless you and carry on!

Sometimes God will put us through a stage I forgot what is called but our preist talked about it. It is when one feels God is silent.There are reasons for this, one is are you praying to him ? If you are not then he really isn’t there. You don’t know a person until you spend time with them. Another reason why this could be happening is cause you are filled with anxiety and fear. Remember the devil strikes you best when you are anxious he wants you to have all these questions and be anxoius cause you are vulnurble when you are anxouis.Or maybe He is testing your faith so you will be stronger. Remember all those scientists saying the world happend by accident is equal to saying a bunch of random letters were thrown up in the air and by accident made the dictionary.

I know miracles cannot convince anyone, but just thought I would mention again the tilma of the Virgin of Guadalupe. You may have heard that the microscope reveals many people captured in the reflections of her eyes. And I recently learned about the constellations on the tilma: they are correct as of the date of Juan Diego’s meeting with the Virgin Mary, but they are portrayed as seen from above, from the vantage point of space in fact. Not to say heaven is up in the sky, but Jesus did appear to “ascend” when he left earth.

There is also the miracle of Lanciano. Really, there is plenty of physical proof of God’s existence. But it sounds as if you want him clearly present in your life. If you read the Bible diligently, you should begin to sense him more clearly.
He did say, because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet have believed.

Thank you! God bless you as well!

‘modernism’ means many things but it denies the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
It denies faith and reason go together, which The Catholic Church teaches.
Why are you afraid of dying? Like Paul The Apostle wrote, to be absent from the body
is to be present with the Lord.

The dangers of the so-called age of reason enlightenment;
has been shown by millions upon millions of crimes against humanity.
such as, ‘The Reign of Terror,’ in France; the atrocities of The Soviet Union
and Communist China — plus now the wholesale murder of over
100,000 helpless babies every single day worldwide right now.
The magnitude of these atrocities far exceeds by astronomical proportions
the crimes against humanity of hypocritical Christians.

Saying The Catholic Church teaches ‘blind faith’ or inferring it shows lack of knowledge.

here is a good series from a humble well educated informed man.

You can’t lose faith.

From reading your post it seems it is not necessarily God that you are having trouble believing in, but a God who frequently helps people in a way that can be objectively proved.

The two concepts are different.

That is true.
Presumption (I can sin because God will forgive me or there is no God so no sin)
& despair (I can’t help but sin denying the Power of God; or there is no God sin anyway)
and things like that, to the extent that a conscience is ‘seared’ obscures the free
gift of faith everyone gets and, unless they truly desire deliverance from God;
they become fodder for evil of the flesh, world, and devil.
Isn’t it odd that Satan makes monstrous possessed demoniac(s) rarely; but seduces sweet talkers to seduce others into sin more? I guess it is diabolical ‘good’ cop ‘bad’ cop; or some other analogy. It seems the seducers are more insidious.
" You believe that God is one. You are doing well! Even the demons believe that , and shudder!" - James 2:19

“O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is worthless?” - James 2:20

Faith by Grace turns into hope and hope by Grace turns into Covenant Love for God;
and in that Covenant true charity for neighbors. Not just trying to look good to one’s self
and others; but proclaiming the Good News, Salvation Through Jesus Christ Raised
from the dead - conquering sin and death — to conquer personal sin attachments;
giving God the Glory as the basis for sincere charity for others.

“You are My friends if you do what I command you.” - John 15:14

“By this we know that we love the children of God: when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome, because everyone born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world: our faith. Who then overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” - 1 John 5:2-5
having truly believed in not just of Jesus The Son of God; we desire virtue within; live virtuous lives as witnesses; and assert virtue to others - to go along with sharing earthly necessities. Yes?
“If you really keep the royal law stated in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.” - James 2:8

Have you ever read Aqunias’s five proofs for God? (http://web.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/web%20publishing/aquinasfiveways_argumentanalysis.htm)

The chemical imbalance theory has never actually been proven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.