Losing faith. Why should I believe in God?

@MarkoB0726

You are correct in that the term “chemical imbalance” is simplistic. And you are correct that nothing is ever “proven” in medicine. It is an art as well as a science. Research goes on.

Harvard Medical School explains the biochemistry of depression far better than I could.

Great conversation here. I am an habitually skeptical over thinker myself who has lapsed, but I often want to return to a life in Christ and the Church. I can relate to the OP and appreciate many of the thoughtful responses and encouragement he is receiving here.

Fair enough, but as someone who’s had to take antidepressants for almost 20 years, I don’t think they actually cure major depression. They may alleviate the symptoms, but they certainly don’t heal the hole in one’s heart. We also don’t know what the long-term consequences of these drugs may be, which is the scariest part.

@MarkoB0726: You and I walked the same road, brother in Christ. I went through the same misery for decades. No medications work for me. I refer you to one of my earlier posts. (I’m sorry if you’ve read it already.)

Glad to hear you found something that worked. I’m weaning off Pristiq (under medical supervision) and it’s getting somewhat difficult. I don’t think I wanna try medical marijuana at this point. I wanna see if regular cardio will help.

@MarkoB0726 I pray you find something that works for you. I went through two series of transcranial magnetic stimulation treatment. I had to go three or four times a week. The entire treatment took six weeks. It did work briefly for me. It’s not shock therapy. And it’s done in your doctor’s office. You’re alert and awake with a gizmo on your head sends magnetic zaps into your brain. It’s not painful. It’s annoying more than anything else. But it didn’t bother me. No medication is a taken before, during or after.

For more information, check out the NeuroStar site.

Thanks I’ll look into it as a possible solution down the road.

closed #88

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.